Butternut Quiche with Kale and Sausage

Yesterday I promised you a savory recipe using pie dough, so here it is!

We grew quite a few butternut squash in our garden this year, so I’ve been dillegently working to make puree and stock my freezer (you can puree butternut squash the same way you would puree pumpkin). The last time I made puree, I had more than would fit in the containers I had for the freezer.  So, I set out to come up with a creative way to use the butternut squash in a recipe.

I finally decided that it would be fun to add some of the puree to a quiche.  I love having egg dishes for dinner, and I frequently make frittatas.  In fact, I considered making a frittata, but since I had some pie dough on hand, I decided to make a quiche instead.  To compliment the butternut squash and give the quiche some more substance (I was going for a one dish dinner), I decided to add some kale and pork sausage.

The result was surprisingly good. My husband even requested that I add the recipe to his Husband’s Picks section of the site.  That’s quite the endorsement! I loved the flavor of the butternut squash mixed in with the eggs and milk. It’s a simple meal that you can serve for breakfast, brunch, lunch, or dinner.  How’s that for versatility?

Butternut Quiche with Kale and Sausage
Serves 6-8

• Dough for single pie crust
  • 1/2 pound bulk pork sausage
  • 1 small onion, diced
  • 6 ounces kale, thick stems removed and chopped
  • 1 cup butternut squash puree
  • 2 eggs + 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 3/4 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese, divided
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper

Preheat the oven to 325°F.

Roll out the pie dough to about 1/4-inch thickness and transfer to a 9-inch pie plate. Trim any excess and crimp the sides. Line with parchment or aluminum foil and some pie weights (a pound of dried beans will work well, too). Bake for 20 minutes.

Remove the pie weights and parchment/foil. Increase the oven temperature to 350°F and bake the empty pie shell for an additional 15 minutes until golden.

Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat.  Once the sausage has browned, add the onion and cook in the fat rendered from the sausage.  Gradually add the kale to the skillet and wilt into the sausage and onion mixture. Transfer the mixture to the baked pie shell.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the butternut squash puree, eggs, egg whites, milk, and 1/2 ounce of the parmigiano-reggiano cheese.  Season with salt and pepper.  Pour the mixture over the sausage and kale mixture in the pie shell.  Top with the remaining parmigiano-reggiano cheese.

Bake at 350°F for about 30-35 minutes until the eggs are set.  Broil for an additional minute or two until the top is golden and bubbly. Cool for a few minutes before serving.

Don’t forget that this month’s Kitchen Bootcamp challenge is Pastry Doughs and Batters… There’s still plenty of time to join in!

23 Responses to Butternut Quiche with Kale and Sausage
  1. Gail
    October 14, 2010 | 8:06 am

I love that you are so fearless in the kitchen. This sounds like such a hearty, cold weather dish. I’m bookmarking this one for a Saturday nite casual dinner w/friends and Netflix.

2. Jessica @ How Sweet
    October 14, 2010 | 9:03 am

This sounds scrumptious! I think I could totally do the veggies this way.

3. Celina
    October 14, 2010 | 9:32 am

Yum! I have swiss chard in the garden right now – do you think that would sub for Kale all right?

4. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction
    October 14, 2010 | 9:48 am

Celina – Absolutely! Swiss chard would be a great substitute for the kale.

5. the blissful baker
    October 14, 2010 | 10:11 am

i don’t eat sausage, but I LOVE butternut squash and kale. this quiche looks super yummy!

6. Emily @Cleanliness
    October 14, 2010 | 11:22 am

You are talking my language with this one. Sheeesh.

7. Liza deGuia
    October 14, 2010 | 12:03 pm

I just printed this and put it on my fridge to make very very soon! What an excellent fall recipe idea! Thanks Jen!

October 14, 2010 | 1:14 pm

Quiche is one of my absolute FAVORITE things to eat. They are so versatile and easy to make. This looks perfect Jen!!!

9. UrMomCooks
    October 14, 2010 | 3:52 pm

Luv the kale and squash together! Both are coming in droves from the garden right now and new ways to use ‘em are most appreciated!

10. Prerna@IndianSimmer
    October 14, 2010 | 11:12 pm

Gorgeous space you have here! Glad to have discovered you :-)
    Keep up the good work n I promise to come back again!

October 14, 2010 | 11:14 pm

Lovely, lovely dish Jen. It appears that kale is grown on a different planet where I live because when I asked for it at the grocery store, they looked at me like I was the one with three eyes.

October 15, 2010 | 6:25 pm

Mags – Yeah, I hadn’t really heard of it until we started getting boat loads of it from our CSA. Swiss chard or collards would be equally delicious. Even spinach would be great!

12. Cherine
    October 15, 2010 | 3:00 am

This quiche looks wonderful!

13. Jen @ How To: Simplify
    October 15, 2010 | 10:43 am

Wow…this looks lovely! The colors are gorgeous!

14. megan
    October 16, 2010 | 10:39 am

Oh wow, this looks fantastic. And another great way to use one of my favorites, butternut squash!!!

October 19, 2010 | 4:50 am

Like Mags, I had never heard of kale until, oh say last year when it appeared every week faithfully in my organic box. I am definitely bookmarking this for this winter – always need creative ways to use up kale!!

October 21, 2010 | 6:05 pm

I have yet to make a quiche…now I know I need to try!

17. Michelle @ Taste As You Go
    November 5, 2010 | 7:42 pm

I absolutely love kale and am always looking for more ways to cook with it. Combining it with butternut squash and sausage sounds like the perfect way! And, I can enjoy seasonal flavors at the same time. Thanks so much for sharing, Jen!

18. [...] I won’t be the last, either.  Though I have revisited the flavors a few times (like this butternut quiche a few weeks ago…), I do try to find ways to incorporate the flavors into new [...]

19. [...] quiche with kale and sausage (adapted from My Kitchen Addiction) dough for single pie [...]

20. [...] Adapted from My Kitchen Addiction: [...]

21. [...] Even though I didn’t do quite as much as I would have liked htis month, I did take the time to share my formula for quick and easy pie dough.  Along with my pie dough recipe/formula, I also shared two quick recipes – Spiced Apple Hand Pies and a Butternut Quiche with Kale and Sausage. [...]

22. Make Fabulous French Quiche at Home | Yummly