Pie Dough + Spiced Apple Hand Pies (WFMW)

With the holidays coming up (and since this month’s Kitchen Bootcamp theme is pastry doughs and batters), I thought I’d address a bit of a touchy subject for this week’s Works for Me Wednesday post… Pie Dough.

I know that a lot of people are intimidated by pie crusts, though… I used to be, too. But, I’m here to tell you that it doesn’t have to be difficult… Really! Once you know a simple formula, you’ll be whipping up your own homemade pie crusts in no time at all. In fact, I happen to think that it’s easier than running to the store to buy a pre-made crust!

It wasn’t until I bought a copy of Ratio by Michael Ruhlman that I really became comfortable with making pie crusts.  I was always so baffled and confused because every recipe I would look at would be a bit different and I never knew which one to choose.  After discovering the basic ratio for pie crusts, though, I decided to give it a try… And, I’ve never turned back. It turns out well every time and is pretty versatile.

works for me wednesday at we are that family

Basically, you just need to know that pie dough is “as easy as 3-2-1″… You will need 3 parts flour (plus a pinch of salt), 2 parts butter, and 1 part ice water.  The ingredients are measured by weight and added in the order of the formula.  Simple, right?

It’s a ratio that’s so simple that can remember it and whip up a pie crust from memory each time.  Just in case, though, I’ve added a quick cheat sheet so that you will have no trouble making your own pie crusts!

As long as you follow the ratio, you can make as much, or as little, pie dough as you want.  But, let’s talk about the two most common amounts – a single pie crust, and a double pie crust.

Single Pie Crust Double Pie Crust
6 ounces flour 12 ounces flour
4 ounces (1 stick) unsalted butter 8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter
2 ounces ice water 4 ounces ice water

Now that we’ve tackled the ingredients, let’s talk about the method…

• Whisk together the flour and salt to remove any lumps.
  • Make sure the butter is cold and cut into chunks and add to the flour.
  • Use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour, leaving some pea sized chunks of butter (this is what makes the crust flakey).
  • Add the ice water 1 tablespoon at a time and toss with a fork.  Add just enough water that the pie dough comes together (though it might be a bit crumbly… that’s OK).
  • Shape the dough into a disc (2 discs for a double crust), wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
  • Roll the dough out on a floured surface to about 1/4 inch thickness and use in your favorite pie recipe!

Since I can’t leave you hanging with an unbaked pie crust, I thought I’d share a simple recipe for some spiced apple hand pies. They are a no pressure way to perfect your pie dough skills before the holidays roll around. Plus, they make a great after school or after work snack!

Spiced Apple Hand Pies

(Makes 10-12)

• 1 single pie crust
  • 2 apples, peeled and finely diced (about 2 cups)
  • 1/4 cup dark brown sugar, lightly packed
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1-2 tablespoons half and half
  • Raw sugar

Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet or line with parchment or a silicon liner.

While the oven preheats, combine the apples, brown sugar, cinnamon, and cardamom in a small mixing bowl.  Toss to evenly mix.

Roll out the pie crust so that it is about 1/4 inch thick.  Use a large circular cookie cutter to cut large rounds out of the pie dough.

Spoon a small amount of filling (about 1-2 tablespoons, depending on the size of the pie dough rounds) into the center of the dough rounds. Brush a small amount of water around the outside of the pie dough. Fold one side of the dough over to create a half-moon and crimp with a fork to seal the edge.

Place the pies on the baking sheet and brush lightly with the half and half.  Sprinkle some raw sugar on the top of each pie.  Bake for 30-35 minutes, until puffed and golden.  Cool on the baking sheet for 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

Be sure to stop by tomorrow for a savory way to use your pie dough!

37 Responses to Pie Dough + Spiced Apple Hand Pies (WFMW)
  1. the wicked noodle
    October 13, 2010 | 7:20 am

I’ve never been able to bring myself to try making pie dough from scratch. *MAYBE* I will give it a shot after reading this…maybe. You make it look so easy!

2. Jessica @ How Sweet
    October 13, 2010 | 7:27 am

I have a “no fail” pie crust from my grandma that I still have never tried. While it’s definitely not the recipe that she used all the time (she never measured a thing) I have still been dying to try it. But I am scared! It is intimidating.
    I would love to try to make these (they are beautiful!) but I think I gotta get a regular pie down first. :)

3. Lora @cakeduchess
    October 13, 2010 | 7:33 am

These are on my list of “must make asap” recipes. Yummers! The crust looks perfect. I love apple desserts. That would be great for breakfast. :)

4. JenniferA
    October 13, 2010 | 7:43 am

I love your cheat sheet and your photo collage! I have to agree – pie dough seems intimidating but it really isn’t that hard. I have to admit sometimes I use half butter and half lard – I really like the texture the lard gives the dough.

5. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    October 13, 2010 | 7:59 am

great tips on pie crust! I made my first pie crust earlier this year and it is intimidating. But you’re right, it’s not as difficult as it seems. I’m going to try your ratio one next I think. I’d love to try these hand pies as well. :)

October 13, 2010 | 9:31 am

Great tips! I’ve been using PW’s perfect pie crust recipe that calls for shortening, but I’d rather switch to butter. Can I just substitute butter directly for the amount of shortening?

7. the blissful baker
    October 13, 2010 | 9:32 am

this looks DELICIOUS! the fall season is making me crave all apple desserts!

8. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction
    October 13, 2010 | 9:47 am

Tracey – Yes, you should be able to substitute butter for shortening… Just be sure to work with it when it’s cold. Also, butter contains more water content than shortening, so you may have to adjust the amount of water a bit. Be sure to add it a small amount at a time!

9. Emily @Cleanliness
    October 13, 2010 | 10:18 am

Sigh. This looks divine. I would love to make things like this, but I’d be the only one to eat them! My husband can’t stand baked apple. Sigh. Therefore, if I were to cook it, I’d eat the whole dern thing alone. Sigh.

These are perfection.

10. merry jennifer
    October 13, 2010 | 11:25 am

These little pies look amazing, Jen. I posted my pie crust dough recipe back in September, I think, and I’ve since made the dough several times. I used to be intimidated by pie crust, but – for me at least – practice really does make perfect. I’m definitely with you on the all-butter crust. Beautiful photos!

11. Laura Flowers
    October 13, 2010 | 12:45 pm

Jen, um Wow!! Those are beautiful!

Hey are you going to the Foodbuzz Festival? I want to catch up with you if you’re there! Let me know.

Laura

12. TheHealthyapron
    October 13, 2010 | 3:40 pm

I have a ton of apples from picking this weekend! My husband is bugging me to bake something apple-Y…this could be it! Thanks!

13. bridget {bake at 350}
    October 13, 2010 | 3:43 pm

I love these…they are so sweet!

I got Ratio from the library on your recommendation. I think it’s one I may need to actually BUY!!!

14. Celina
    October 13, 2010 | 5:23 pm

well, you tempted me enough to try this this afternoon. i’ve been looking for a crust recipe that uses something other than shortening (tried coconut oil in one recipe and failed:)

used approx 8 oz. white flour and 4 oz. wheat flour and the results were a.ma.zing!!! thanks for a new pie crust recipe!

October 13, 2010 | 9:51 pm

Oh Jen… I think you may have a Kitchen Bootcamp that I won’t be able to participate in. I stink at pastry crusts! I’ve made it so well known on my blog that people keep sending me “no-fail” pie crust recipes….LOL

You’ll know that I’m a firm believer in the “bootcamp” project if I actually post something with pastry crust dough in the recipe. Wish me luck.

By the way, those little pies look too darn cute AND delicious.

16. Jamie
    October 14, 2010 | 2:57 am

This is a great post! I have my regular, much-loved pie doughs – one for sweet treats and one for savory, but I have to try your simple recipe because yours turns out fabulously light and flaky! These hand pies are a dream partly because of the flaky dough, partly because of that fabulous filling. Must try!

17. Jennifer @ Keepitsimplefoods
    October 14, 2010 | 11:11 am

I have a grandma’s favorite pie crust recipe as well. Thanks for the 3, 2, 1 breakdown- very helpful for non bakers like myself! I am dying to try hand pies or turnovers with a combo of apples AND squash! yummmm.

October 14, 2010 | 1:22 pm

Ah yes – pie dough! I tried it for the first time recently and am slowly getting over my fear. This tutorial here is awesome.

19. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes)
    October 14, 2010 | 2:10 pm

Congratulations on conquering pie dough. I recently did it too, just gives me a wonderful feeling :D

20. Jenny Nguyen
    October 15, 2010 | 5:19 am

oooh…flaky goodness :)

21. Jen @ How To: Simplify
    October 15, 2010 | 10:43 am

I need one of these pies in my hand immediately. Oh my goodness…they look amazing!

22. Simply Life
    October 15, 2010 | 4:50 pm

oh these look amazing!

23. [...] Spiced Apple Hand Pies from My Kitchen Addiction [...]

24. pumpkin pie, an odyssey | the merry gourmet
    October 16, 2010 | 6:14 pm

[...] Jen at My Kitchen Addiction has a recent post on making pie dough. [...]

October 19, 2010 | 4:52 am

Yes I really need to get on the old pie crust wagon myself. I *know* I should be able to make it… These look wonderful – I’ll take two for my breakfast right now!

26. Jennifer
    October 19, 2010 | 3:05 pm

These look so yummy! And I didn’t know that leaving small chunks of butter makes the crust flakey. Thank you for showing us how easy pie dough can be!

27. Peggy
    October 20, 2010 | 5:04 am

Don’t you just love that Ratio book! It’s one of my favorite and most informational reads yet! Love these mini pies!

28. [...] easy pie dough.  Along with my pie dough recipe/formula, I also shared two quick recipes – Spiced Apple Hand Pies and a Butternut Quiche with Kale and [...]

29. [...] of ice water.  The proportions were a bit different than my traditional pie dough… My usual recipe has about 3 parts flour to 2 parts butter and 1 part ice water.  This one had almost equal parts [...]

30. [...] and I frequently make frittatas.  In fact, I considered making a frittata, but since I had some pie dough on hand, I decided to make a quiche instead.  To compliment the butternut squash and give the [...]

31. Sarah
    March 15, 2011 | 4:32 pm

Hello,
    I was wondering if you could freeze those apple hand-pies, when should you do it, is it before or after baking?

Thanks,
    Sarah

March 15, 2011 | 6:22 pm

Sarah – You could absolutely freeze the pie dough. As for the hand-pies, I haven’t tried it myself, but I would probably freeze them before baking since they are best right out of the oven.

32. [...] grocery store is a bit of an ordeal for me at the moment, I ended up opting to make a pie using my go-to pie crust recipe (and since no one in my immediate family has a sensitivity to gluten, it was OK!).  However, I [...]

33. Strawberry Pie | my kitchen addiction
    June 20, 2012 | 3:01 am

[...] for a Double Pie Crust (I used my usual recipe and added a tablespoon of sugar for a touch of [...]

34. [...] you’re still looking for a recipe for pie crust, I have my favorite all-butter version here, along with some tips to help you [...]

35. Apple Crumble Pie | my kitchen addiction
    September 24, 2012 | 8:00 am

[...] Dough for a single all butter pie crust [...]

36. [...] such as appetizers, main dishes, side dishes, soups, and even beverages. Recommended posts: ”Pie Dough + Spiced Apple Hand Pies (WFMW)” and “Cinnamon Brown Butter Frosting [...]