S’mores Cookie Sandwiches

No campfire? No problem! You can still enjoy s’mores this Fourth of July!

You know I couldn’t just make the soft and chewy graham cookies that I shared a few days ago and leave it at that, right? Of course not!

Instead, I decided to take the cookies and turn them into s’mores cookie sandwiches (or “s’mookies” as my friends named them)… I knew it would either be fabulous or a huge sticky mess. And, while they were a bit sticky, they turned out to be great.  I took them to a get together with some friends, and everyone really loved them!  In fact, some of them told me that I shouldn’t be giving away the recipe for free… But, when I find a good thing, I like to share… So, here it goes!

You could certainly make these cookie sandwiches with storebought marshmallow fluff… And, they would probably taste fine. But, I decided to try my hand at homemade marshmallow fluff, and I’m really glad I did.  I found a great recipe from Smitten Kitchen (via Mardi from eat. live. travel. write), which turned out to be pretty easy to make… Easier than getting in the car and driving to the store for marshmallow fluff, if you ask me!

After tackling both the graham cracker and marshmallow elements of s’mores, it was time to tackle the chocolate.  Since I was really going for that traditional s’mores flavor, I opted to coat the cookie sandwiches with Hershey’s milk chocolate. After all, that’s what I grew up with… And, when I think s’mores, I instantly think Hershey’s.  However, after trying these sandwiches (which were great… and the milk chocolate does work!), I think I would prefer them better with some good quality dark chocolate.  Scharffen Berger s’mores anyone?  Also, I do think that the dark chocolate would have melted a bit better… The milk chocolate wasn’t as smooth as I would have liked when it came to melting and dipping the cookies.

Overall, though, I do have to agree with my friends that this is one of my better creations… And, I can assure you that I’ll be making them again (and again!).

Homemade Marshmallow Fluff
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

This recipe will make considerably more marshmallow fluff/frosting than you will need for the cookie sandwiches, but I’d recommend making the full batch! It will keep for a few days in the fridge, and it makes for some pretty amazing fluffernuter sandwiches!

• 2 egg whites
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/4 cup light corn syrup
  • 2 tablespoons water
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of sea salt

Add about 2 inches of water in the bottom of a large saucepan.  Bring to a simmer.

Combine all of the ingredients in a metal mixing bowl (one that fits in the top of the saucepan without the bottom touching the water). Place the mixing bowl over the simmering water, and beat with an electric hand mixer.  The mixture will gradually become fluffy and then will thicken and turn white and slightly glossy (after about 8 minutes).

Remove the mixing bowl from the simmering water. Continue to beat on high for an additional minute or two.  The marshmallow will thicken just a bit more.  Allow the marshmallow to cool before using it or transferring to an airtight container.

The marshmallow is best if you use it immediately, but it will keep in the fridge for 2-3 days.

S’mores Cookie Sandwiches
(Makes 18 – 20 sandwiches)

• Chewy Graham Cookies
  • Homemade Marshmallow Fluff (above)
  • 12 ounces milk chocolate chips
  • 1 teaspoon vegetable shortening
  • White chocolate chips (optional)

Match up the cookies in pairs of similar size/shape and lay them face down on a sheet pan lined with parchment or waxed paper.

Transfer the marshmallow to a disposable piping bag, and pipe the marshmallow onto half of the cookies.  Top the marshmallow fluff with the matching cookie.

Heat the milk chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl, about 15 seconds at a time, until smooth and creamy.  Dip the cookie sandwiches in the chocolate, and let cool on the parchment/waxed paper.

If desired, melt the white chocolate chips and drizzle the sandwiches with white chocolate once the milk chocolate has set. (I couldn’t decide if I really liked this better or not, so I drizzled some and left some plain.)

33 Responses to S’mores Cookie Sandwiches
  1. Victoria (District Chocoholic)
    June 30, 2011 | 6:08 am

Wow. This is even BETTER than normal s’mores. And you made your own marshmallow fluff? That’s incredible. They look beautiful, too.

2. The Café Sucré Farine
    June 30, 2011 | 6:10 am

What a fun summer treat! They looks and sound wonderful!

3. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
    June 30, 2011 | 6:10 am

I am SO glad you made these! All I could think about with your graham cookies was stuffing them with chocolate and marshmallows – my favorite combo!

4. Blog is the New Black
    June 30, 2011 | 6:24 am

Absolutely BRILLIANT! Can’t wait to try this!

5. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    June 30, 2011 | 6:28 am

Thanks for the shoutout Jen. These are absolutely inspired!

6. in katrinas kitchen
    June 30, 2011 | 6:35 am

Yum. I think my friends would love me if these showed up at our next girls night!!

7. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    June 30, 2011 | 6:35 am

Perfection!

8. Jill H
    June 30, 2011 | 8:13 am

Oh my goodness!! You made such fantastic looking cookies, I want to eat them right off the screen!!

9. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    June 30, 2011 | 8:14 am

Amazingness- this looks even better than regular s’mores!

10. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    June 30, 2011 | 8:21 am

oh my…great idea!! I think I’m going to try this idea, but with the filling from my s’more’s whoopie pies. Thanks for the inspiration!!

June 30, 2011 | 9:54 am

Glorious Jen. Just glorious. And so delicious. I actually think this is better than a traditional smore.

12. Heidi @ Food Doodles
    June 30, 2011 | 10:21 am

Those look amazing! I love your step by step for the homemade marshmallow fluff. I am totally making that! Although the cookies all together look so amazing I might just end up making everything :D Wow they look good!

13. Heather | Farmgirl Gourmet
    June 30, 2011 | 12:20 pm

Oh Jen…I’m drooling on myself. Those look A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Wow…so great.

14. Courtney
    June 30, 2011 | 12:37 pm

Awesome idea! Can’t wait to make these for our next family BBQ! Bookmarked :)

15. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies
    June 30, 2011 | 1:14 pm

I want to eat these RIGHT NOW!

16. Amanda
    June 30, 2011 | 2:13 pm

Haha, awesome! These look fantastic. Love your pictures, too.

June 30, 2011 | 5:51 pm

I do believe you have just created something here that just might replace campfire S’mores forever more!

18. Leslie Dickey
    June 30, 2011 | 6:36 pm

Ummm, are you crazy? Homemade marshmallow fluff? You might have just made my year. I once ate an entire jar of marshmallow fluff (not recommended) but love it all the more.

19. Casey
    June 30, 2011 | 7:08 pm

These look INCREDIBLE!!! I love everything about this recipe!

20. Lauren
    July 1, 2011 | 12:02 am

Ohmyword. I am making these for our festivities! How divine!

21. [...] decided to make them a little treat as a thank you for taking care of our girl. When I found these S’more Cookie Sandwiches I knew they’d be perfect. These were absolutely yummy. The only thing I did differently was [...]

22. Dana
    July 1, 2011 | 8:27 am

You are a genius! S’mores is about my favorite flavor combo EVER… and these cookies? They sound divine!

23. Barbara | Creative Culinary
    July 1, 2011 | 9:17 am

It’s all been but I have to I reiterate…fabulous, wonderful, amazing, drool. All those things!

But I have one question. The one thing I tend to miss about most s’mores creations is the burnt sugar taste from browning the marshmallows. I’m assuming I could take my little kitchen torch that I don’t get to use for enough stuff and brown the fluff too, right? Probably more accurate to say ‘burn’ the fluff but that’s such a big part of what I love about s’mores!

July 1, 2011 | 9:28 am

Barb – I totally agree with you re: the burnt sugar taste! Yes, you could definitely use a kitchen torch to brown/burn (how about brulee?) the fluff…

Unfortunately, I am sans torch at the moment, and I was afraid that if I attempted it with the broiler (which I have done w/ other desserts in the past), I would melt all of the fluff and have a big sticky mess… Resulting in no cookies for our friends at the get together. So, I decided that was a risk I wasn’t willing to take!

24. Jamie | My Baking Addiction
    July 1, 2011 | 9:13 pm

I didn’t think those chewy graham cookies could get any better…clearly they can. This is genius.

July 3, 2011 | 6:05 pm

Oh my gosh! I have a few recipes I’ve been wanting to try that require marshmallow fluff, but I’ve been unwilling to pay for it at the store. I can’t wait to try your recipe, and of course these cookies!!

July 7, 2011 | 11:15 am

Totally delicious! Lately I have been seeing s’mores everywhere! I think this is a sign I need to get into my kitchen and make something delicious….

27. Erin
    July 7, 2011 | 1:38 pm

This recipe was fantastic! Took them to a Fourth of July party and they put the other desserts to shame! No one could believe the fluff didn’t come out of a container! Your recipe and technique worked perfectly! Can’t wait to try some “s’more” recipes :)

28. sweetsugarbelle
    July 16, 2011 | 6:44 pm

I dont know how I missed these, but WOW, you took awesome and made it awesome-er!!!!!!!!!! ♥

29. [...] may remember the S’mores Cookie Sandwiches I posted last summer… They were an instant favorite with my friends and family, and I [...]

30. [...] Cookie Sandwiches Recipes adapted from my kitchen addiction Chewy Graham Cookies (recipe below) Homemade Marshmallow Fluff (recipe below) 16 ounces [...]

31. [...] than posting the recipe, I’ll just refer you directly to My Kitchen Addiction where I snagged the incredible recipe. The only change I made was just to add a bit more flour to [...]

32. Brooklyn
    April 21, 2013 | 5:02 pm

Just made these! They were a big hit. Delicious!