Friday Favorites – World Nutella Day Edition (Episode 41)

Today’s Friday Favorites are a bit different for one very important reason… Today is the 4th annual World Nutella Day!

You all know that I am a Nutella fan (and that I love participating in the Nutella Challenge).  So, you know I couldn’t resist participating in World Nutella Day, which is hosted by Ms. Adventures in Italy and Bleeding Espresso.  To celebrate, this week’s Friday Favorites will include some of my favorite Nutella recipes from other blogs, a few of the Nutella recipes I have developed, and even a brand new Nutella recipe developed specially for the occasion!  It’s a three-for-one post!

My Nutella Day Friday Favorites…

I did a quick search in my RSS reader when picking my favorite Nutella posts for this week’s Friday Favorites, and I was amazed how many great Nutella recipes I found! It was really hard to pick just a few, but I managed. Buy an economy-sized jar of Nutella, because you’ll want to try each and every one of these recipes:

My Previous Nutella Creations…

If the posts I mentioned above haven’t given you enough ideas, here are a few of my recipes using Nutella!

Finally… A New Nutella Recipe!

This has been a pretty busy week for me, so I didn’t have a lot of time to bake (and, I didn’t want to do too much baking… but that’s tomorrow’s #10in10 post!).  I was racking my brain trying to come up with a fun, new Nutella recipe that didn’t require a huge time commitment, and then it hit me… Rice crispy treats made with Nutella!

To jazz up these rice crispy treats a bit, I used a round cookie cutter to cut out the individual treats. Then, I drizzled them with chocolate.  If you want to cut them into squares, though, that’s perfectly OK!

Crispy Nutella Treats

• 2 tablespoons butter
  • 4 cups mini marshmallows
  • 2/3 cup Nutella
  • 6 cups crispy rice cereal
  • Milk chocolate chips

Line a 9 by 13 inch baking pan with parchment paper and spray lightly with cooking spray. Set aside.

Start by melting the butter in a sauce pan over medium-low heat. Add the marshmallows, and stir into the melted butter.  Continue to cook over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally until the marshmallows have melted.  Remove from the heat, and stir in the Nutella.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the crispy rice cereal with the marshmallow mixture. It may help to use a plastic/silicon spoon that has been coated with cooking spray. Once all of the cereal has been incorporated, transfer the mixture to the prepared baking pan.  Use your fingers to spread the mixture out evenly in the pan.  Allow to cool for about an hour.

Once the treats have cooled, they are ready to cut.  Use a cookie cutter to cut rounds out of the pan (and snack on the scraps).  Drizzle each round treat with melted chocolate chips.  Allow the chocolate to cool and harden before serving.  The treats can be kept in an airtight container, layered with pieces of parchment paper.

20 Responses to Friday Favorites – World Nutella Day Edition (Episode 41)
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet It IS
    February 5, 2010 | 9:32 am

Oh goodness these are sinful! I love rice crispy treats, but made with nutella?? They have to be amazing.

February 5, 2010 | 10:52 am

Great Nutella roundup Jen and I love your recipe too. Reminds me of Chocolate Crackles we used to eat at birthday parties when I was little in Australia!

3. Chris
    February 5, 2010 | 11:02 am

Brilliant!!!!!!!!! Just brilliant. Makes me speechless. ;)

4. bridget {bake at 350}
    February 5, 2010 | 11:24 am

What a genius idea…adding Nutella to Rice Krispie treats!!! I love the idea of cutting them out, too. That’s so cute!

Thank for linking to the turnovers! I really need to make those again!

THREE more days!!! ;)

5. sugar plum
    February 5, 2010 | 1:24 pm

Delicious nutella delites …a spread actually…lovely…yummmy yum.

All the links are fab specially fuji mama…am gng to try ‘em soon..

LOVE IS IN THE AIR,SO IS ROMANCE…WISH YA LOADS OF IT….

6. jenn
    February 5, 2010 | 2:18 pm

Those rice crispies look so tasty. I don’t know where’s I’d be without it. Good round up. Ironically, I had some for breakfast on a slice of sourdough bread. ;-D

7. cathy/ShowFoodChef
    February 5, 2010 | 2:44 pm

Great and quick idea and you make them look elegant, too.

8. EPL403
    February 5, 2010 | 2:48 pm

Hey guys, check that out…our way to celebrate nutella day !

9. megan
    February 5, 2010 | 2:49 pm

A celebration of Nutella links and a nice twist to and ol’ classic! Great post!

10. Jessie
    February 5, 2010 | 9:19 pm

nutella is so dangerous yet so good! I love those Crispy Nutella treats, talk about yummy :)

11. deana@lostpastremembered
    February 6, 2010 | 8:24 am

I kept looking at the picture on foodgawker and wondering what this was… glad I looked in… what a great simple recipe and a very cool photo… loved the chocolate lace!!

12. Jessie
    February 6, 2010 | 11:36 am

Wow, Nutella in a Rice Crispie Treat? Genius! Thanks for sharing such a delicious ides.

13. Spiceaholic
    February 6, 2010 | 12:50 pm

Yum, what a great collection of Nutella recipes!

14. Joe
    February 6, 2010 | 3:49 pm

Hey, great post! Check out my healthy Nutella snack…Caramel Banana Nutella Crunch @ http://bit.ly/aLwc41

15. Paula - bell'alimento
    February 6, 2010 | 3:58 pm

It was a fabulous World Nutella Day! Thanks so much for including me in your roundup ; ) & What a creative idea to put Nutella with Rice Krispy Treats! Brava! They’re adorable

February 8, 2010 | 1:47 am

Man I think I was the only person who didn’t know about world nutella day. These crispy treats look awesome….I gotta try these….yum!

17. Fuji Mama
    February 9, 2010 | 8:50 pm

Thanks for giving Squirrel a shout-out in the Friday Faves! She decided to thank you by asking me for a big spoon of Nutella to celebrate. LOVE your rice crispy treats–and love the round shape. It’s nice to shake things up a bit!

18. bridget {bake at 350}
    February 5, 2011 | 4:49 pm

Rice Krispies WITH Nutella?!? Oh, baby!

{PS…thank you for that sweet shout-out!}

19. Crispy Nutella Treats | bella nutella
    February 14, 2011 | 11:44 am

[...] Contributed by: My Kitchen Addiction CLICK FOR RECIPE: Crispy Nutella Treats [...]

20. [...] Nutella Rice Krispie Treats (recipe from mykitchenaddiction.com) [...]