Nutty Nutella Oatmeal Chip Cookies

I am excited to announce that I am submitting these cookies to be featured as a part of Deck the Blogs on Oprah.com! Be sure to check out all of the great recipes and holiday ideas from all of the featured food bloggers!

Can you believe that I almost neglected to make something for this month’s Nutella Challenge?

I couldn’t believe it, either. My mind has been going in a lot of different directions, and somehow this slipped my mind (not sure how, since there’s a giant economy-sized jar of Nutella sitting in my pantry).  In preparation for my trip to NYC next week, I have been trying to get ahead on my baking challenges since I will be away towards the end of the month (prime challenge time).  That’s when it hit me that I hadn’t posted a Nutella recipe yet.

I didn’t have a lot of time to put this one together (i.e. didn’t want to have to make the recipe more than once), so I took a little bit of help from my Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.  I started with a recipe for peanut butter oatmeal cookies and adapted it to use Nutella.  I have found that Nutella works well in place of peanut butter in most recipes, since the consistency is very similar.  You need to consider a few things, though.  Nutella is typically sweeter than peanut butter, so you may want to reduce the amount of sugar in the recipe.  I reduced the sugar in the recipe from one cup to three quarters of a cup.  Peanut butter is typically saltier than Nutella, so you may want to up the salt. My original recipe didn’t call for any salt, but I added a half-teaspoon for good measure.

I decided to add some chopped hazelnuts and mini chocolate chips to mirror the flavors in the Nutella.  I used one half-cup of each, but I think you could add more.  That’s all I had on hand, and I wasn’t going to run to the store at 10:00 at night.

Overall, I think the cookies turned out quite well… My husband thought they could use a bit more of the nuts and chocolate (as I mentioned above), but that didn’t stop him from eating three of them right out of the oven.  This is definitely one that I will be making again!

Nutty Nutella Oatmeal Chip Cookies

(Adapted from Better Homes and Gardens)

• 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
  • 1/2 cup Nutella
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
  • 2 cups old fashioned rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts
  • 1/2 cup mini chocolate chips (semisweet)

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Set aside a nonstick baking sheet (or lightly grease/line a baking sheet with parchment).

In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large mixing bowl), combine the softened butter and Nutella.  Beat on medium speed until the butter and Nutella are combined and the mixture is fluffy.  Scrape down the sides of the bowl.  Add the sugar, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat on medium speed again, until the all of the ingredients are incorporated into the batter, scraping down the sides of the bowl as necessary. (Note – I’m not entirely sure why the recipe called for the baking powder, soda, and salt to be added at this point instead of with the flour…  But, I didn’t want to tempt fate, so I followed the directions.)

Add the eggs and vanilla extract, beating again until the batter is smooth.  Gradually add the flour, beating after each addition to incorporate it into the batter.  Once the flour is incorporated, gradually add the rolled oats, beating after each addition.  If you are using a hand mixer, you may need to stir by hand if the mixture becomes too thick.  My stand mixer had no problem incorporating both the flour and the oats.

Once the flour and oats have been incorporated into the batter, remove the batter from the mixer.  Add the chopped hazlenuts and mini chocolate chips, and stir into the batter.

Use a spoon or scoop to measure out rounded tablespoons of batter onto the prepared baking sheet.  The cookies will spread a bit, so be sure to space them at least two inches apart.  Bake for 9 – 10 minutes.

Cool the cookies slightly on the pan (just for a minute or two), and then transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely.

If you love Nutella half as much as I do, be sure to check out all of the other entries for this month’s Nutella Challenge, hosted by the lovely Paula of bell’ alimento!

31 Responses to Nutty Nutella Oatmeal Chip Cookies
  1. jenn
    September 15, 2009 | 7:19 pm

well…I’m glad you didn’t miss it because those looks absolutely delish!!! I’ll take a dozen with a nice glass of milk. I think this will be my dinner. lol.

2. Paula - bell'alimento
    September 15, 2009 | 7:43 pm

YUM! What a great idea! & great shot. So enticing! Who wouldn’t want a big glass of milk & a dozen or so of those! I think I have everything to whip some of these up!

3. Divina
    September 15, 2009 | 7:49 pm

Look at those cookies. If I were to choose between peanut butter and nutella, I would choose nutella. I used to eat bananas spread with nutella. The cookie batter looks tempting already. Anything with chocolate is always welcome and the dark color of the finished product is even more tempting.

4. Jessie
    September 15, 2009 | 7:54 pm

a fantastic idea! I love the combination of oatmeal and nutella talk about major yum! I really adore the first photo, it’s making me want some of those tasty cookies

5. CheapAppetite
    September 15, 2009 | 9:19 pm

Very nice cookie. Nutella is awesome. I love it. I’m glad that you reduce the sugar in the recipe due to the sweetness of nutella. Good call:)

6. Angelia McGowan
    September 15, 2009 | 10:08 pm

Those look delicious, I’ll have mine with coffee and cream please! I am a little ashamed, because I think I am the last person who hasn’t tried Nutella! But I have got to put it on the grocery list and get busy cooking with it! I also love my Better Homes and Gardens Book, my mom had her 50′s edition forever, I call it my cooking bible, I actually found the newest edition at a discount store for $5, I was soo excited!

September 15, 2009 | 10:22 pm

Happily I have everything I need for this cookie in my pantry:)

8. C
    September 16, 2009 | 12:13 am

These look heavenly. You’re right about Nutella working well in most recipes that call for peanut butter. I once took a classic peanut butter cookie recipe and made it with Nutella instead. My husband said they were the best cookies ever.

9. Carolyn Jung
    September 16, 2009 | 12:14 am

10. Sophie
    September 16, 2009 | 6:30 am

These cookies look just perfect to enjoy with a fresh cup of coffee!

11. Reeni
    September 16, 2009 | 11:09 am

What yummy cookies!! I love how you added the hazelnuts and chocolate. Great idea. Such delicious treats.

12. maria
    September 16, 2009 | 12:48 pm

Bookmarked these! they look amazing!

September 16, 2009 | 12:51 pm

Nutella is absolutely one of my favorite things to eat – hands down. I love spreading it on toast and will probably love it in these cookies when I make them.

14. eatlivetravelwrite
    September 16, 2009 | 1:25 pm

Hmmm… I am thinking I am going to have to take part in the Nutella Challenge next month…. These look… DIVINE!!!!!!!!

15. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
    September 16, 2009 | 2:38 pm

These sounds wonderful with Nutella, I would love to have a few right now with a glass of milk!

16. Teanna
    September 16, 2009 | 6:08 pm

You’re going to be in NYC?! For how long?! If you have time, you MUST check out these places… they aren’t the big fancy places in NYC or the hot trendy places, these are just the best neighborhood places you will find (and SO inexpensive):

Il Corallo Trattoria 176 Prince Street. Best Italian restaurant in the city, two pages worth of pasta dishes, all under 15 dollars, you can get a bottle of wine for $20, the tiramisu is out of this world. My favorite restaurant in Manhattan
    Beyoglu – 81st and 3rd. Amazing Turkish place with the best hummus in the city. You could just get hte bread and hummus and leave a happy girl
    Alice’s Teacup – There are three of these, but the one on 64th and Lex is the best. Go there for brunch. Best, best, best.
    Grom – If you love some gelato, you’ve GOT to go to Grom. There is one on the Upper West Side at 2165 Broadway and one in the W. Village at 233 Bleeker. Best.

OK, I know you didn’t even ask, but I always have to tout these places when people go to NYC! LOVE!

September 16, 2009 | 8:36 pm

Teanna – I’d love to visit all of those places, but unfortunately I don’t think I’ll have time. I’ll only really be in NYC for the event. Hoping to plan another trip in the fall, though (since I can get there by train pretty easily)… So, I’ll keep them in mind. Perhaps we can even meet up somewhere!

17. Jamie Walker
    September 16, 2009 | 7:27 pm

I was going to try baking cookies with Nutella about a month ago…and then got sidetracked the night I said I was going to do it. And before I knew it, the Nutella was gone. Dammit! These look great, need to try that one again. :)

18. Cowgirl Chef
    September 16, 2009 | 11:39 pm

Aw, jeez…now I’m gonna have to make these. I love oatmeal-chocolate chip cookies, and Nutella, of course, but hadn’t thought of putting the three together. Genius!

19. Michelle
    September 18, 2009 | 2:12 pm

I love coming across new ways to use Nutella. Thanks for another recipe!

20. Denise
    September 27, 2009 | 8:13 pm

I’ve just tried Nutella for the first time a few weeks ago & blogged about it. Read this post and forgot which food blog I saw it on. So yesterday I was making gingersnaps for a friend’s care package and decided to add in some Nutella oatmeal cookies.

Too lazy to search my fave food blogs, I adapted the Nestle tollhouse cookie recipe. I remembered to cut back the sugar. They turned out really good, but the best was when I started combining it with the gingersnap dough. After several batches of each cookie, I started combining the batters to make a nutella oatmeal gingersnap. They were really good!!

Thanks for the inspiration! So there is a monthly Nutella challenge? I’m new to food blogging. ;)

21. [...] on Sunday.  But I quickly rectified the situation and made Nutella Oatmeal Cookies.  I saw this recipe on Cakespy and once I saw it, I had to try it, and immediately bought Nutella.  Which then sat in [...]

22. AK Gal
    March 11, 2010 | 1:18 am

These were very yummy! Do not overbake, as mine were a bit crunchy.

23. I got them ALL cut! « Munching to Mend
    August 27, 2010 | 7:08 pm

[...] not sound like the best of both worlds? It does to me.  I started doing some googling and found this recipe, because my all-time favorite cookie is oatmeal chocolate chip.  When I looked at the recipe [...]

24. Shoshanna Lee
    September 16, 2010 | 3:04 am

My favorite ingredients :) Just can’t wait to try it. Looks so delicious. Thanks for sharing.

25. Patrick @ Appetite for Good
    September 27, 2010 | 8:17 pm

This is great! this is exactly what i’ve been looking for. I needed to make a nutella oatmeal cookie for a good friend and this is it!!!!!!

26. ff
    October 10, 2010 | 1:00 pm

How many does it make? The picture shows 45 on the racks — is that a full batch?

I really want to try it but would rather cut the recipe in half because I’m low on butter & Nutella — if I knew I’d get 2 dozen out of half a batch, that would be fine.

Thanks.

October 10, 2010 | 5:50 pm

ff – I believe the recipe made about 4 dozen (48), so yes, you would get about 2 dozen out of a 1/2 batch.

27. [...] Contributed by: My Kitchen Addiction CLICK FOR RECIPE: Nutty Nutella Oatmeal Chip Cookies [...]

28. Amy
    March 18, 2012 | 12:51 am

Made these tonight and they were great!!