Cranberry Nut Pumpkin Bread

Hopefully you’re not getting sick of pumpkin recipes yet! If you are, let me apologize now, because I’ll probably be cooking with pumpkin until Christmas (at least). I wait all year for the few precious months when I can bake and cook with pumpkin, and I take full advantage of it when the time comes.

I also get excited about cranberries each year, so when I saw them for the first time at the store last week, I picked up a few bags.  For every bag I plan to use, I usually buy one for the freezer.  After the holidays, I typically have enough cranberries in my freezer to last me through July (at least).

So, when I had the urge to do some baking earlier this week, I decided to make one of my favorite pumpkin bread recipes for breakfast. The recipe comes from the Simply in Season cookbook, a gift from my mom a few years ago.  Because my hubby doesn’t share my love of all things pumpkin, I halved the recipe and made only one loaf. I also used all whole wheat flour instead of part all purpose flour (and made a few other changes to accommodate). Finally, I decided to add cranberries for an extra special breakfast treat!

Cranberry Nut Pumpkin Bread

(Adapted from Simply in Season)

• 1 1/2 cups whole wheat white flour
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1 1/4 cups pumpkin puree
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1/4 cup canola oil
  • 1 cup cranberries
  • 1 cup pecans, roughly chopped
  • Additional brown sugar and wheat germ for sprinkling on top

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease and flour a 9-inch loaf pan and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, wheat germ, sugars, baking soda, salt, and spices.  Make a well in the center, and add the pumpkin puree, eggs, and oil. Mix just until all of the dry ingredients are moistened.  Add the cranberries and pecans and stir to incorporate into the batter.

Spread the batter in the prepared loaf pan and sprinkle with some additional brown sugar and wheat germ. Bake for 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

Allow to cool slightly on a wire rack for 15 minutes.  Remove the loaf from the pan, and then cool completely on a wire rack.

12 Responses to Cranberry Nut Pumpkin Bread
  1. jenn
    November 5, 2009 | 1:31 am

I love pumpkin.. I can’t get enough of it, so keep them coming. ;-D Awesome bread. I’ve got to get me some cranberries soon, too.

2. Jessie
    November 5, 2009 | 9:04 am

I love pumpkin! so do not apologize for the pumpkin overload :) I wish I could have a slice of that right now for breakfast

November 5, 2009 | 10:53 am

You never have to apologize for the use of pumpkin…it’s the best! I saw cranberries in the store the other day too and picked up a few bags. Next week I have off so my plan is to bake bake bake and some of that baking will use pumpkin and cranberries…yum! I need to give this bread a try. It’s a great use of both ingredients :)

4. mags
    November 5, 2009 | 1:05 pm

Yes, please keep the pumpkin recipes coming! This loaf looks lovely and I love the use of whole wheat PLUS wheat germ…. nice!

5. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
    November 6, 2009 | 9:47 am

This pumpkin bread looks incredible with cranberries and pecans, excellent!

6. Tracy @ Sugarcrafter
    November 6, 2009 | 11:51 am

I never get sick of pumpkin! I’m totally into cranberries right now too; this bread is perfect! Well without the nuts of course, since I’m allergic. :-P

7. Marta
    November 6, 2009 | 12:51 pm

My mouth was watering as I was reading this recipe! It looks yummy and I can’t wait to make it! Thanks for the great recipe :)

8. Frenchie
    November 6, 2009 | 5:32 pm

I just bought a can of pumpkin puree. I know what I am making this weekend, boy I cannot wait.

9. Reeni
    November 6, 2009 | 8:41 pm

I will never get sick of pumpkin – or cranberries for that matter! What a delicious bread! So spicy and chock full of goodies. I bet this is great for breakfast!

10. [...] during the fall and winter months. Last weekend I was on a sweet bread kick and made this amazing Cranberry Nut Pumpkin bread recipe I found (which is an interesting story in and of itself, so I will save it for a later post), [...]

11. [...] Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies from Two Peas and Their Pod Pumpkin Bread from Dine and Dish Cranberry Nut Pumpkin Bread from My Kitchen [...]

12. [...] dinner rolls, I’d much prefer to have a slice or two of my Cranberry Nut Pumpkin Bread with my Thanksgiving dinner.  It’s made with whole wheat flour and wheat germ, so that makes [...]