I have hosted Thanksgiving dinner at my house for the past couple years. This time around, I have the year off. Yellowdog (our yellow lab, in case you were wondering) has to remain “calm” and is not allowed to play with kids, other dogs, and relatives for the next few months until she has fully recovered from her knee surgery. So, that pretty much means that there will be no big get togethers at my house for a few months, either.
That doesn’t mean I won’t be cooking, though! I plan to make a side dish or two, and of course I’ll be taking some sort of dessert. I will also be traveling with my handy dandy meat thermometer, which I believe is the key to a perfect Thanksgiving turkey. Whether it’s my kitchen or my mom’s, there’s no better place to be on Thanksgiving day!
To help with our last minute Thanksgiving plans, I thought I’d put together a collection of recipes for this week’s Friday Favorites post. I’ve thrown in a few of my own and taken a lot of help from my friends. These are sure to make your Thanksgiving dinner one to remember!
Let’s Talk Turkey…
- This post on Cooking the Turkey from Brown Eyed Baker covers pretty much everything you will need to know when it comes to making sure that you have the perfect bird this Thanksgiving.
- In case you still have questions about your turkey (which I doubt since that last one pretty much covered everything!), be sure to check out this tutorial on The Best Way to Roast a Turkey from Simple Bites.
- I’ve never been much of a stuffing person… Well, that was until I discovered this Cornbread Stuffing. I can’t get enough of it. Seriously, it’s incredible.
- If you’re in the mood to try something a bit different, take a look at this Artichoke Parmesan Sourdough Stuffing from Our Best Bites. I just love the Italian/Mediterranean flavors in the dish… I know it would be a big hit!
- Everyone loves bacon, right? Why not try this Bacon, Bourbon, Pumpernickel and Rye Stuffing from Vino Luci this year? I’m sure it will be a crowd pleaser.
On the Side…
- Who says pumpkin has to be for dessert? I love pumpkin in savory recipes, and this Stuffed Pumpkin from Bread & Putter looks like a tasty addition to Thanksgiving dinner!
- Last year my brother proclaimed that he “doesn’t eat Brussels sprouts.” But, he ended up having a second serving of these Balsamic Roasted Brussels Sprouts. Need I say more?
- I love yams… Love them! These Roasted Smashed Yams are one of my favorites. When you add cinnamon and apple cider to yams, you really can’t go wrong, right?
- I love green bean casserole, but I don’t love all of the junk that comes with canned soup and canned beans. This Fresh Green Bean Casserole from Brown Eyed Baker has all of the flavors of the traditional dish, but is made with quality ingredients. Brilliant!
- I just can’t get enough of this Roasted Butternut Squash Casserole from Evil Shenanigans… I tweeted it the other day, but I just had to mention it again here. It’s sure to be another favorite this Thanksgiving!
- Need some pointers for perfect pie dough? I shared my tips and formula for Perfect Pie Dough a few weeks ago. It’s as easy as 3-2-1!
- I am confident that everyone will love this Honey Crisp Apple Crumb Coffee Cake from Daydreamer Desserts. I often make apple pie for Thanksgiving, but this year I may just opt for this coffee cake instead!
- If you ask me, no Thanksgiving dinner is complete without some pumpkin. Sure, you can make pie, but I am loving the look of these Pumpkin Dulce de Leche Bars from The Runaway Spoon!
- While we’re talking about new ways to use pumpkin for dessert, be sure to check out this recipe for Pumpkin Flan from Kitchy Cooking.
- There’s just something that I love about bundt cakes… I’m not really sure what it is. This Applesauce Bundt Cake from 990 Square looks like a winner to me. I’m sure it’ll be fantastic for dessert, but I’d love a slice for breakfast, too!
- If you are looking for a pumpkin pie recipe, I’d recommend trying this Unprocessed Pumpkin Pie with a Whole Grain Crust from Piccante Dolce. It’s a recipe you can feel good about!
- Here’s just one more pumpkin recipe for you… Everyone loves cupcakes, and these Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes are sure to be a hit. They’ve quickly become one of my favorites, and have been pretty popular with my friends and family, too!
A Few Extras…
- Whether you’re hosting lots of friends and family or just looking for a snack to munch on while you watch the football and parades, I’d recommend checking out this Last Minute Pumpkin Mousse Dip. No, it’s not totally “from scratch” but it’s tasty, and it’s fast. Since I posted it, I’ve whipped heavy cream and used that in place of the whipped topping, if that’s more your style.
- If you’re looking for a fun “signature cocktail” for your Thanksgiving dinner, you will want to check out this White Cranberry Cosmopolitan from If You Can Make That You Can Make This.
- My hubby loves his cranberry sauce from a can (the slurpy kind). I don’t judge, but I don’t eat it, either. Instead, I’m a huge fan of this Cranberry Relish. I stockpile cranberries in my freezer so I can enjoy this for months after Thanksgiving!
- If you have friends staying overnight, you might want to consider making these Cranberry Pomegranate Ebelskivers… You can whip them up quickly and amaze your friends and family! They’d be delicious topped with some leftover whipped cream, too!
- If you’re more of a cooked cranberry sauce person, be sure to take a look at this Grand Marnier Cranberry Sauce from Flavia’s Flavors. It looks fantastic!
- Forget dinner rolls, I’d much prefer to have a slice or two of my Cranberry Nut Pumpkin Bread with my Thanksgiving dinner. It’s made with whole wheat flour and wheat germ, so that makes it healthy, right?
- I’m a big fan of thinking out of the can when it comes to pumpkin for Thanksgiving… Here’s my tutorial on making your own Pumpkin Puree!