Spiced Zucchini Apple Muffins

It’s that time of year again… Kids are headed back to school, fall scented candles are on sale at Target, and my garden is still bursting with zucchini.  Fall is around the corner, but it’s not quite hear yet.

While I am welcoming fall (especially the cooler weather!) with open arms this year, I know that we’ve still got a few weeks to go.  And, I’m not ready to just jump into the pumpkin spice recipes quite yet. I did, however, take advantage of some cooler weather over the weekend to do some baking. It’s not quite what I’d call fall baking yet.  I think end-of-summer baking would describe it much better.

You see, we’ve already started getting some apples from our fruit CSA. Apples are another one of those ingredients (like pumpkin) that just make me long for October.  But, I also still have a pantry stocked with apple butter that I made last year.  So, in order to make room for new apple treats this coming fall, I decided to put both the apples and apple butter to good use in some spiced apple muffins.  I also have zucchini… Lots of it.  So, I threw some zucchini into the mix, as well (inspired by this great recipe from Kelsey over at The Naptime Chef).

The muffins turned out nice and moist and are great for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack.  I think they’re perfect for this time of year, but you can really make them any time, especially if you keep some shredded zucchini in your freezer (more on that later this week!) and have homemade apple butter on hand.  Happy end-of-summer baking!

Spiced Zucchini Apple Muffins
Makes approximately 1 1/2 dozen
(Adapted from The Naptime Chef)

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
  • 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
  • 1 cup shredded zucchini
  • 1 cup shredded apple
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1/2 cup spiced apple butter
    (applesauce will work here, too)
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 eggs, lightly beaten

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Line muffin tins with paper cups (or lightly grease) and set aside.

In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.  In a separate bowl, combine the zucchini, apple, sugar, apple butter, olive oil, and eggs. Stir until well combined.

Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and fold with a spatula until the dry ingredients are all moistened. Don’t over mix the batter. Fill the muffin cups approximately 2/3 full (I like to use my 1/4 cup cookie scoop).  Bake the muffins for 20 – 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let the muffins cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

20 Responses to Spiced Zucchini Apple Muffins
    August 20, 2012 | 2:23 pm

Beautiful muffins, Jen! I can’t wait for fall either, it’s my favorite time of the year. These are a nice transition to all the fall baking I can’t wait to do. :-)

2. Ali @ Gimme Some Oven
    August 21, 2012 | 8:14 am

Oooooh, these look amazing, Jen! I love apple muffins…and all the better when using up some zuc too! :)

3. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies
    August 21, 2012 | 8:39 am

I can speak with great authority to how delicious these muffins are, having been gifted a handful by Jen over the weekend. They powered us through mornings filled with roller coasters at Hershey Park. Thanks again, Jen!

4. Erin @ Texanerin Baking
    August 21, 2012 | 2:50 pm

Just found your blog and was excited to see these muffins! I baked with zucchini for the first time last week and liked the result so I’m willing to try more. :) I don’t like veggies, so it’s kind of a miracle. And I’m not ready for fall! It’s my favorite season and favorite baking time, but the fruit… it’s all going to go. Seriously. Over in Germany, we’re going to have apples and oranges until summer. Depressing.

5. Joy
    August 21, 2012 | 3:33 pm

The muffin looks wonderful.

6. rhonda harwood
    August 22, 2012 | 9:49 am

Do you have a nutrition list for this reciepe

August 22, 2012 | 1:58 pm

Hi, Rhonda – Unfortunately, I do not have the nutrition facts for the recipe. However, there are many websites where you can enter a recipe and get that information. One that I have used in the past is Nutrition Data. Hope that helps!

7. Espie Creel
    August 22, 2012 | 9:08 pm

Oh my gosh! I just made these and they are soooo yummy!I will totally make this recipe again! tho I’m tempted to make it with just shredded apples and chopped walnuts or pecans (instead of zucchini and appple mixture). Overall this recipe is a keeper =)

8. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    August 27, 2012 | 5:45 am

Love this mix of summer and fall! Our zucchini are gone already, but I may try this basic recipe with carrots, or even pumpkin :)

9. Mardi (eat. live. travel. write.)
    August 29, 2012 | 6:36 am

Perfect fall muffins and I love the inclusion of zucchini – a great way to get your veggies in!

10. [...] be unbaked, either! I freeze muffins, cinnamon rolls, and more that are already baked! I have some Zucchini Apple Muffins and Whole Wheat Cinnamon Rolls in my freezer right now.  Just pop them in a freezer bag (or wrap [...]

11. Jeska
    April 28, 2013 | 6:54 pm

Ohhh, I made these today and they turned out FANTASTIC. Thanks for posting this recipe. I only had berry apple sauce, which added to the flavor.

12. Kaywest
    July 6, 2013 | 6:31 pm

I can’t wait to try the apple muffins

13. Kaywest
    July 6, 2013 | 6:33 pm

I can’t wait to try zucchini apple muffins

14. Nana Kat
    August 1, 2013 | 9:27 am

I tried making a zucchini bread with frozen grated zucchini and it was so dry due to the moisture lost after defrosting. How do you use the frozen zucchini in this recipe without it becoming to dry?

August 1, 2013 | 3:46 pm

Hi! I haven’t had that problem before… However, if you drained the zucchini when you thawed it out, perhaps you want to try leaving all of the moisture in as it thaws. Hope that helps!

15. Jan
    August 16, 2013 | 5:05 pm

Do you shred the apple unpeeled or do you peel the apple before shredding?

August 17, 2013 | 8:44 pm

Hi, Jan – You can do it either way. I generally leave the peels on, but if you want a smoother texture, you can peel the apple.

16. Teressa
    September 8, 2013 | 1:05 am

I made these tonight with 3 egg whites and only 1/3 c bown sugar. Was trying to make them healthier. Definitely not super sweet and maybe a little too salty? Anyone try making these with sugar substitutes or agave? If so how did you adjust recipe? Also what about more applesauce and omit eggs & oil?

17. Sherrill
    October 3, 2013 | 12:04 pm

I substituted pumpkin butter for the apple butter as I had it on hand. Also added a struesel topping to entice my daughter!