Can you believe October is right around the corner? I’m not entirely sure where September went, but I am ready for October. It happens to be my favorite month of the year (and not just because I have a birthday in October)!
All of my favorite foods are readily available (like apples and pumpkins), and it is the perfect month for wearing a sweater and boots and sipping a steaming latte. In October, I can spend countless hours pouring over magazines with new holiday recipes… And, I enjoy cooking and baking on chilly evenings.
So, today, on the last day of September, I am ready to say hello to October… And, I’m ready to get into the kitchen!
- Just the other evening, my husband and I had dinner with friends at a cozy, yet modern, restaurant downtown. I had grilled chicken with Brussels sprouts and polenta, and I’ve been thinking about recreating it ever since. Then I saw this Braised Chicken with Mushrooms and Oven-Baked Polenta from Handle the Heat. Tessa has already done the work for me. Plus, I am loving the idea of baking polenta in the oven.
- When I think of October, I immediately think of pumpkins. I love baking with pumpkin, and I can’t wait to try this Pumpkin Pie Coffee Cake with Crumbled Pecan Topping from Food for My Family. It looks like the perfect Saturday morning breakfast treat!
- Speaking of pumpkin, I have to mention this Pumpkin Monkey Bread from Sugarcrafter. I have to admit that I’ve never made monkey bread before, but I’m going to be remedying that very soon. It seems like the perfect sweet snack for a get together with friends, right?
- I find that chilly fall days are the perfect time to get out the crock pot. It gives me more time to bake! I cannot wait for a cool fall day to give this Crock Pot French Onion Soup from How Sweet It Is a try. Can you think of anything better on a cold October night than to enjoy a nice warm bowl of soup? I think not!
- October is the time of year when I start getting my act together regarding homemade Christmas gifts. Of course, I save the cookie baking for December, but I love to get started on canning and other fun gift ideas. This year, I am adding this DIY Vanilla Extract from Bake at 350 to my list. I’ve been meaning to make some homemade vanilla extract for a while, and Bridget gave me the little nudge I needed!