Balsamic Onion, Apple, and Gorgonzola Pizza

A lot of times my recipe ideas aren’t really recipe ideas but flavor combinations that I just can’t get out of my head. This recipe is a perfect example. For days, I couldn’t stop thinking about how I wanted to make something with caramelized onions, apples, and gorgonzola cheese. I didn’t care what the recipe turned out to be, but it had to include those ingredients.

As you have probably already figured out, after a few days of letting those ingredients marinate together in my mind, I finally settled on using them as toppings for a pizza. I already had some pizza dough in the fridge (I always make enough for two pizzas so that I have leftovers for another night!), so it was an easy lunch one day last week when both my husband and I really needed some tasty food to distract us from the mess in our basement (flooding… it’s not fun).

Balsamic Onion, Apple, and Gorgonzola Pizza
(Makes one large pizza)

• Dough for one large pizza, at room temperature
    (1/2 of the recipe for my favorite pizza dough)
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 3 medium red onions, sliced
  • 1 tablespoon Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 green apple, cored and thinly sliced
  • 2 ounces crumbled gorgonzola cheese

Preheat the oven to 450°F.  Roll the pizza dough out onto a piece of parchment (or spread it out in a pizza pan or baking sheet if you don’t plan on baking it on a stone).  Let the dough rest while you prepare the rest of the ingredients.

Heat a heavy skillet over medium heat.  Add the olive oil and onions, and saute until the onions are tender and somewhat translucent.  Reduce the heat slightly, add the Balsamic vinegar, and continue to cook the onions for an additional 10 – 15 minutes until they are beginning to caramelize (the Balsamic vinegar speeds this up a bit!) and are a rich reddish-brown color.

Spread the onions out over the prepared pizza dough.  Arrange the apple slices on top of the onion layer and sprinkle with the gorgonzola cheese.  Bake for about 14 – 15 minutes, until the cheese is slightly golden and the crust is done.

15 Responses to Balsamic Onion, Apple, and Gorgonzola Pizza
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
    September 20, 2011 | 7:18 am

this pizza has my name all over it.

2. Barefoot Pregnant And In The Kitchen
    September 20, 2011 | 7:43 am

That looks simply AMAZING! I need it…

3. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies
    September 20, 2011 | 8:13 am

I love this flavor combination, Jen. I’m exactly the same way. What I really love is that a lot of times, I’ll throw a couple ingredients at James and say “Okay, now what are we going to make?”, and he comes up with a few ideas of his own. Typically that sends me down categories of food I might not have considered before. That happened the other day with a Halloween project. I was planning cupcakes, he sent me down the English trifle route, and it turned out *amazing*. Don’t you love it when inspiration strikes??

P.S. You are required to make this pizza when Tracy and I visit you.

4. Renee - Kudos Kitchen
    September 20, 2011 | 8:20 am

This sounds (and looks) really tasty Jen. I love how you say that ingredients marinate in your head. It works well for you and your flavor combination is awesome.

5. Winnie
    September 20, 2011 | 8:24 am

That is gorgeous Jen! Yum yum yum :)

6. J3nn (Jenn's Menu and Lifestyle Blog)
    September 20, 2011 | 8:40 am

Wow, that sounds like a wonderful flavor and texture combination! I love sweet and savory. Yum!!

September 20, 2011 | 8:53 am

This is an amazing combination and no doubt that pizza was delicious.

September 20, 2011 | 10:52 am

Wow, I never would have thought to put these flavors together, but the combination sounds amazing! And, I second Amber, you are of course going to have to make this when we come. ;-)

9. Noya - gluttonandstudent
    September 20, 2011 | 8:02 pm

this looks soooo appetizing! I think you just inspired my next meal.

September 20, 2011 | 9:54 pm

Oh wow, caramelized onions are my kryptonite! Your pizza looks fantastic, I need to keep this flavor combo in mind next time Shane isn’t around for dinner :)

11. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    September 20, 2011 | 10:24 pm

Those are some great ingredients. I love the way caramelized onions and blue cheese go together.

12. CookiePie
    September 21, 2011 | 7:54 am

Mmmm – looks so delicious!! Hope the cleanup from the flooding isn’t too painful…

13. Deb
    September 21, 2011 | 9:01 am

What a delightful pizza to welcome autumn. I am looking forward to a trip to the apple orchard. I am sure I will return home with too many apples and this pizza recipe will be a lovely way to savor my bounty.

14. Brian @ A Thought For Food
    September 22, 2011 | 6:50 pm

A delicious pairing of ingredients. Looks scrumptious!

15. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    September 24, 2011 | 1:25 pm

Spectacular Jen – what a GREAT way to combine those flavours!