Lemon Herb Hummus

I find myself tending towards simple food in the summer. I’m sure you can relate.  I want something that’s simple to make and made with fresh, healthy ingredients.

That’s the place where this lemon herb hummus came from.  The last few weeks have been pretty busy around here (I won’t bore you with the details), leaving me with little effort to put into dinner. Sure, I have succumbed to ordering pizza and grabbing sandwiches at a local diner a few times. It happens to all of us. But, I also wanted to make sure we had some healthy snacks around the house to ensure that we would still eat well despite our busy schedules.

When I think of something healthy to snack on, hummus often comes to mind, though I don’t make it nearly enough. I think I will have to remedy that now, though. This lemon herb hummus came together in a matter of minutes, and it was packed with flavor. It’s also a filling snack, and can be enjoyed with baked pita chips or fresh veggies. I used the herbs that I had on hand from my garden, but you can substitute your favorites.

Lemon Herb Hummus
Makes about 2 cups)

• 15 ounce can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
    (preferably organic, sans BPA)
  • 2 tablespoons tahini
  • Handful of basil and oregano leaves
  • 1 lemon
  • 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil, plus additional for drizzling
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper

Combine the garbanzo beans, tahini, and herbs in a small food processor.  Zest the lemon and add the zest to the food processor, and then squeeze the juice of the lemon into the food processor. Pulse until evenly combined and finely chopped.

Gradually stream in the olive oil until the mixture comes together and is smooth. Add enough olive oil to achieve a consistency that you like.  Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Serve drizzled with additional olive oil and topped with some freshly ground pepper.

10 Responses to Lemon Herb Hummus
  1. Blog is the New Black
    August 15, 2011 | 10:10 am

I’ve always wanted to make my own hummus, but have yet to find a recipe that seems worthy… I think this is it!!!

August 15, 2011 | 10:12 am

I love when simple is this delicious. Looks amazing Jen.

August 15, 2011 | 10:17 am

What a lovely twist for hummus! Great recipe Jen.

4. Apron-clad Warrior
    August 16, 2011 | 9:17 am

This is one of my favourite store-bought items so thanks to you I can make a healthy one!

5. kamran siddiqi
    August 16, 2011 | 11:41 am

Simple, delicious, perfect. I’ve a bunch of basil and fresh oregano waiting to be used up. I suspect that it’ll be used to make this in a little while.

6. Adryon
    August 16, 2011 | 2:08 pm

I’m addicted to hummus. I used to eat it in high school for breakfast every day. And now you’ve given me another reason to make even more! Ooooh with some warm pita. Or a veggie sandwich! Darn you, Jen :)

7. JenniferA
    August 16, 2011 | 8:33 pm

I love a good hummus! It’s so easy too. Yours looks great with all the herbs.

8. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    August 18, 2011 | 5:24 am

My absolute favourite kind of hummus :)

9. Lisa @ The Cooking Bride
    August 18, 2011 | 4:22 pm

I made hummus once with dismal results. But this looks so yummy I may have to try again.

10. […] some fresh potting soil and make sure they get plenty of sun and water. I’m dreaming of fresh Lemon Herb Hummus for snacking and some Basil Pesto to toss with pasta or slather on […]