Jalapeño Pepper Jam

In my canning fury a few weeks ago, one of the new recipes I tried was a recipe for hot pepper jam. I wasn’t entirely sure what to think… Jalapeño peppers in a sweet jam? I was skeptical. But, I had tasted a few similar recipes at the farmers market a few weeks earlier, so I figured it couldn’t go all wrong. After all, what did I have to lose? Only a few of the jalapeño peppers I seem to be so good at growing in the garden.

It’s true… I am great at growing jalapeño peppers. Actually, I am great at growing just about any form of hot peppers, but I digress. Almost everything else in my garden typically dries up, but I have a knack for spicy produce. That probably says something about my personality, but I will just move on. The point is, I had about 30 jalapeños to work with when I made this jam.

In case you think this blog post is going nowhere, I will just get straight to the point.  I was pleasantly surprised by the jalapeño jam. It is sweet, spicy, tangy, and wonderful. It’s a pretty simple recipe, so I hope you’ll give it a try. The canning really isn’t that bad!

Want to know my favorite way to enjoy it? Just spread some cream cheese on top of a cracker (confession: I am a fan of Triscuits) and top it with a little big of jam. It makes a tasty snack, and I think you could serve it as an appetizer around the holidays, too.

Jalapeño Jam
(Adapted from the Sure-Jell package directions, Makes about 6 half-pints)

• 4 cups of seeded and finely diced peppers
    (about 10 jalapeños, 2 green peppers and 2 red peppers)
  • 1 cup apple cider vinegar
  • 1.75 ounce package of powdered pectin
    (I used Sure-Jell)
  • 5 cups granulated sugar

Prepare a boiling water canner and sterilize the jars, lids, and bands.

Meanwhile, in a large pot, combine the diced peppers and vinegar.  Gradually stir in the pectin, and bring the mixture to a rolling boil.  Add all of the sugar at once, return the mixture to a boil, and continue to cook for 1 minute.

Fill the sterilized jars, wipe the rims, and fit them with lids and bands.  Process for 15 minutes in boiling water.

First time canning? Be sure to check out these guidelines for boiling water canning! I have done my best to ensure that this recipe is safe for canning, and I used a reputable source.  However, it is always important to double check the guidelines to make sure a recipe is safe for canning.

43 Responses to Jalapeño Pepper Jam
    August 29, 2011 | 9:06 am

Looks great Jen and I’m betting it would taste wonderful melted over a warm round of brie.

August 29, 2011 | 11:59 am

Love this! I haven’t tried jalapeno jam yet, but I will definitely be making your recipe. It looks gorgeous too!

• Virginia
      July 26, 2012 | 6:54 pm

I made this receipt, its easy and turned out great!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dana
    August 29, 2011 | 8:55 pm

I love this idea! I bet the spicy sweet jam is delicious! Now I just need to grow myself some peppers…

4. Casey@Good. Food. Stories.
    August 29, 2011 | 9:39 pm

Oh, come on, let the blog post go nowhere! That’s where all the fun stuff happens…

5. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    August 30, 2011 | 2:51 am

I have to admit, I’m a huge jam maker but I’ve never made jalapeño jam before. Now I’m intrigued…

6. Barefoot Pregnant And In The Kitchen
    August 30, 2011 | 3:13 am

Hot pepper jelly is my husbands favorite. It’s a staple in our fridge… cream cheese with this jelly on crackers is the ultimate late night snack! I’ll have to try your recipe out next time we make a batch!

7. kristy
    August 30, 2011 | 5:28 am

Hmmm…. I love the crystal colour of the jelly. Perfect! Thanks for sharing & have a great week ahead.
    Kristy

8. sweetsugarbelle
    August 30, 2011 | 8:12 am

You know how sometime you’re reading your bloglists and then you hit one that’s so exciting you smile as you’re reading? This is one of those posts. Sweet/hot combos are one of my faves, and actually the snack you showed is one of my faves. Especially when I was pregnant. I often had this. I even turned my husband on to the idea. Now im even more excited because I’m itching to try canning, and this is beautiful. Absolutely beautiful!

9. Barbara | Creative Culinary
    August 30, 2011 | 10:43 am

I have an aversion to green peppers that for many years kept me from trying anything green that was called a pepper. I’ve found it’s just the green bell ones that are not my cup of tea (so I would probably be doing some substituting). I think one of the first things I had that made me see the light was a jalapeno jam. So good. I will simply serve it ladled over a block of cream cheese and if I’m being good will keep my fingers out of it and remember to use a cracker!

• katrina
      September 29, 2012 | 4:06 pm

You know I have to agree with the green thing. So I made this jam using some jalapeno’s that I got out of my garden that had turned red. I also substituded red bell peppers with one small green bell pepper. The jam turned out to have a beatiful red color & all the people I gave it to loved it. I can tell you that everyone is asking for my to make more.

• Judy
        August 11, 2013 | 12:18 pm

OK, even if you don’t like green peppers, this is awesome. So what you do is make a batch of red and a batch of green…then at Christmas, on two separate plates, side by side, put blocks of cream cheese with red jelly on one, and green on the other…everybody loves it! Have fun!!

10. Joy
    August 30, 2011 | 10:06 pm

The jam looks wonderful.

August 30, 2011 | 10:33 pm

Loving this hot pepper jam! So you have a spicy personality :) I’m snarky…so I’m wondering what would grow well in my garden…haha.

12. sweetsugarbelle
    September 5, 2011 | 12:01 am

I made this and I am so proud! Its delicious and it worked perfectly!!!

13. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    September 5, 2011 | 7:53 am

I love chili jams with cheese. So simple and so good. I printed this out and put it in my “to try” canning file!

14. Teri Hermann
    February 10, 2012 | 12:35 pm

What a perfect thing to do this weekend!! Yummy! Was looking for a receipe for this jam, and your’s wins!!

15. Melissa
    September 10, 2012 | 12:29 pm

I was looking for a recipe with good pictures of how I wanted my Jalapeno Jelly to turn out (peppers in the gel). Yours is better than I expected, great pics, simple recipe. Just what I was looking for! Thanks!

16. KT
    September 17, 2012 | 2:13 pm

I love the flavour of this recipe, but MY batch was to runny! I know there has to be a way to save it, any hints would help.
    It tastes ridiculously delicious!

• Sissy
      September 24, 2012 | 1:11 pm

Mine also came out runny but will use it as a dipping sauce or pour over a brick of cream cheese.

• Judy
        August 11, 2013 | 12:21 pm

I’ve read that you can pour it back into the pot and boil a little longer, then re-process it. Haven’t tried that, but I did read it somewhere online in my search for new jalapeno jelly recipes. This one is a little different than mine, so think I’ll give it a try. Good luck with your canning endeavors!

17. Jalapeno Jam | 1000 Wonderful Things
    September 28, 2012 | 9:11 am

[...] Recipe adapted from My Kitchen Addiction. [...]

18. Sweet and Spicy | Spoonful of Sass
    October 8, 2012 | 6:59 pm

[...] I got to searching and found this recipe from My Kitchen Addiction. [...]

19. Anna
    October 10, 2012 | 12:17 pm

My coworker just brought a ton of jalapeno and green peppers from her garden. I’m going to pick up a few red peppers to round things out and whip up a batch of this tonight! Thank you :D

20. Esther
    October 22, 2012 | 10:59 am

Made this recipe a few weeks ago…had friends over this past weekend and they ate all I had made!! It is wonderful and I am heating up my canning pot now to make some more!! Thank You so much!!!

21. Steve
    March 22, 2013 | 8:52 pm

there is a simple and sweeter alternative to green
    bell peps, (some comments here that they are not one’s cup of tea). Substitute RED peppers & if you are real Adventurous add some crushed strawberries 1~2 cups.

22. Marina Brusseau
    June 10, 2013 | 1:38 pm

Can I use a pepper other than jalapeno. We are growing 3 different peppers and would love to use them.

June 10, 2013 | 1:54 pm

Marina – Yes, you could use other peppers… I haven’t done it myself, but if you measure out the same amount of another type of hot pepper it should work just fine. Just be aware of the fact that you might end up with a very spicy jam! :)

23. KAREN
    June 27, 2013 | 6:28 pm

If you mix 1/2 pint of jalapeno jelly and 1 8oz. pkg. of softened cream chesse, you will have a wonderful dip for tortilla chips

24. KAREN
    June 27, 2013 | 6:29 pm

If you mix 1/2 pint of jalapeno ‘jam’ with one 8 oz. pkg. of softened cream cheese, you have a wonderful dip for tortilla chips!!

25. dottie
    July 23, 2013 | 5:32 pm

I am interested in making the jalapeño pepper jam and I need to know is it 2 red bell peppers and 2 green bell peppers with the 10 jalapeños?

July 30, 2013 | 8:49 pm

Hi, Dottie – Yes, you will need 2 red bell peppers, 2 green bell peppers, and approximately 10 jalapenos. However, it is important to make sure that you measure out exactly 4 cups of chopped peppers since the size of the peppers can vary.

26. P C Foster
    August 5, 2013 | 3:16 pm

Just made this beautiful jam.I added a couple drops of green food coloring.It looks and tastes wonderful.Thanks for the great recipe!

27. chefemmit
    August 8, 2013 | 2:56 pm

The flavor is great, but it didn’t set up…think I will try a suggestion I read somewhere to put it back in the pot, and add another box of sure-jell. Also, my finger is on FIRE! I did wear gloves, and it still went thru and burned my index finger. (and no, there isn’t a hole). Just make sure they are thick like playtex, not the little thin latex ones….dang the jars all sealed real nice, too.

28. Terri
    August 25, 2013 | 6:48 am

How hot is this jam? I like a bit of a bite but not burn your mouth hot. Anxious to try this recipe.

August 26, 2013 | 8:21 pm

Hi, Terri – The jam has a little bit of heat, but it’s not burn your mouth hot. The sweetness seems to tame the heat a bit.

29. Angela
    August 30, 2013 | 7:51 am

We made this last night- and wondered how thick it is supposed to be. IT seems the taste is there but ours still seemed pretty liquid? Is there a trick to get it thicker? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance :)

30. laura barnett
    September 4, 2013 | 4:49 pm

I made this with all our peppers from our garden….I made one jar for each person there….10 families….they LOVED it…even people who don’t like spicy. thank you

31. Vin
    October 7, 2013 | 9:24 am

I tried this recipe following all steps precisely as indicated. I did, however, substitute the powdered pectin using 3oz. liquid pectin instead. The jam is watery and never congealed. Can I re-cook the jam and add more pectin and perhaps sugar to get the desired consistency? Please advise. Thanks

October 7, 2013 | 2:14 pm

Hi, Vin – While I have not tried it myself, my understanding is that you cannot substitute liquid pectin for powdered pectin. You may be able to add more sugar and re-cook the jam, but I’m not sure that it will work, and I wouldn’t attempt to can it at that point, since I’m not sure the recipe is safe.

32. Lori
    December 20, 2013 | 9:42 pm

Can you enjoy this jelly without canning it first? What would be the technique on that? Thanks!

December 21, 2013 | 10:13 am

Hi, Lori – Yes, you can simply let the jam cool in the jars and store it in the refrigerator. You will need to use it within about a month, though.

33. Deborah
    March 22, 2014 | 1:11 pm

I love this served inside a goat cheese omelet. Goat cheese and crackers..say thing with goat cheese..The tangy cheese and spicy sweet jam go very well.