Krispy Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars

Do you plan fun treats when you go on vacation? Sometimes I think I spend more time figuring out what food to prepare for our vacations than I do planning the vacation itself!

So, when I was planning for our camping trip last week, I immediately started thinking about snacks to take along.  I knew we’d be on the go quite a bit… Hiking in the woods, taking the doggies swimming, and just enjoying the outdoors.

When I think of camping food, two of the things that instantly come to mind are s’mores and trail mix. Since s’mores aren’t too portable (and would be really messy if you just threw them into your backpack while hiking!), I started thinking about some rice krispy treats instead.  Instead of plain rice krispy treats, though, I decided to incorporate some trail mix ingredients. I also threw in some peanut butter for good measure… If you ask me, peanut butter rice krispy treats are always better than plain ones. Right?

We had a great (and relaxing!) week on vacation, and we really enjoyed the trail mix bars… They were the perfect sweet snack! Love vacation pictures? (I know I do!) You can see a few of my favorite vacation photos on Flickr!

Krispy Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars
(Makes about 20 – 24 bars)

• 10.5 ounce package of miniature marshmallows
  • 1/4 cup unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter
  • 5 cups Rice Krispies cereal
  • 1 cup raisins
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • 1 cup plain M&Ms

Lightly grease a 9 by 13 inch baking pan and line with waxed paper.  Set aside.

Combine the marshmallows and the butter in a large microwave-safe mixing bowl. Microwave for 3 – 4 minutes, until the marshmallows are completely smooth when stirred.  Stir in the peanut butter until the mixture is smooth.

Add in the cereal, raisins, peanuts, and M&Ms, stirring until evenly mixed. Press the mixture into the prepared pan.  Cover, and let sit at room temperature until completely cooled and set.

Use the waxed paper to pull the treats out of the pan. Use a knife to cut into bars. Store in an airtight container or individually wrap.

15 Responses to Krispy Peanut Butter Trail Mix Bars
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
    July 21, 2011 | 6:14 am

Love that these combine two of my favorite bars! And you got some great shots of your pup there too. So cute.

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    July 21, 2011 | 8:06 am

What a great treat to bring with you! I’d probably eat them all right away.

3. Daydreamer Desserts
    July 21, 2011 | 10:02 am

Love these treats Jen! Will definitely make them for the boys, sans raisins though… still can’t get them onboard with them. :/

4. Lauren Williams
    July 21, 2011 | 3:39 pm

Oh my, I HAVE to try these! I love trail mix, I love rice krispie treats…sounds perfect!

5. Casey@Good. Food. Stories.
    July 21, 2011 | 7:48 pm

Yes, ma’am… peanut butter Rice Krispy treats are ALWAYS better than plain ones.

6. maria
    July 21, 2011 | 8:07 pm

I will be making these!

7. Apron-clad Warrior
    July 21, 2011 | 11:18 pm

Love how contented your puppy looks!
    And now I am craving your bars. MUST add the ingredients to tomorrow’s grocery list!
    Thanks a bunch. :)

8. Deborah
    July 22, 2011 | 12:41 am

What a great change up to a rice krispy treat!!

9. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    July 22, 2011 | 6:46 am

Yum! These would be great to take traveling too, b/c I don’t like plane food. :-(

10. Michelle M
    July 22, 2011 | 10:56 am

I made these last night and they were a huge hit with my girls!!! So easy and I love that they are a spin on the traditional Krispies bars!

July 24, 2011 | 5:05 pm

I love taking fun treats on vacation and these bars look perfect for any trip.

12. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    July 28, 2011 | 2:38 am

What a great on the go snack. And there’s Yellowdog :)

13. april
    April 30, 2012 | 1:54 am

Any idea how many calories per serving? And about how big a serving is? I made these and have just been cutting blocks out of the pan b/c they are so yummy :)

April 30, 2012 | 10:01 am

April – Unfortunately, I have not figured out the nutrition information for this recipe… And, it will greatly vary based on the size of the servings. I believe my servings were approximately 2 – 3 inch squares. I simply divided the 9 x 13-inch pan into 24 (fairly) equal servings.

14. Lynn
    August 3, 2013 | 4:37 pm

Just made a batch of these and haven’t tasted them yet but they look and smell delicious. I substituted crunchy soy butter for the peanut butter since I’m allergic to peanuts. I also used walnuts instead of peanuts and orange flavored cranberries instead of raisins… everything else stayed the same, hehe. I JUST realized that I doubled the butter by mistake so they may not set up as they should. Will post later how they turned out.