Warm Peanut Butter Caramel Dip

I’ve been in a bit of a funk lately… That’s the best way I can think to describe it.

We’ve just had a lot going on for the past few weeks, and it’s drained me of all energy and inspiration… I just haven’t been myself. I know I will be fine… Things are gradually getting back to normal around here, and I think that’s just what I need.

One of the hardest things about my recent mood has been that I really haven’t been in much of a mood to cook and bake.  Last weekend I had told some friends that I would bring a warm caramel dip to a dessert-themed party they were having. I had all intentions of caramelizing sugar and making the dip from scratch… The right way, so to speak.  But, when all was said and done, I was in no mood for it.

When I’m not in the mood to cook, I often struggle with these moral dilemmas about what I feel is the “right way” to make something.  In my mind, the only real way to do caramel is to start with sugar, melt it on the stove, and make caramel sauce. There is no other way.

It takes a lot for me to give in and allow myself to cheat a bit.  I don’t do it often, and I always feel guilty about it. But, there are times where I have to put my sanity first… And, if a simpler recipe that’s not quite as “from scratch” will give me a break and a little bit of peace of mind, I can be OK with it… Well, I’m working on being OK with it.

This caramel dip is one of those recipes.  I’m sharing it, not because I think it’s the “right” way to make caramel, but because I think it’s where I’m at at the moment.  In spite of my food guilt about the dip, it was a hit at the party.

In the end, I have to admit that I did enjoy eating the dip. I was glad that I jazzed it up a bit with some peanut butter and cinnamon… The flavors were perfect with crisp apple slices. If you’re in a pinch and need a party-friendly dessert, this dip may be just what you’re looking for!

Warm Peanut Butter Caramel Dip
(Adapted from Gather, Makes about 3 1/2 cups)

• 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1 cup light brown sugar
  • 14-ounce can fat free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon ceylon cinnamon
  • Apple slices, pretzels, or other favorites for dipping

Begin by melting the butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat.  Add the corn syrup, brown sugar, and sweetened condensed milk.  Continue to cook, whisking until the mixture is smooth.  Bring to a boil and cook for one minute.

Remove from the heat and whisk in the peanut butter and cinnamon.  Transfer the dip to a serving dish or a small crock pot (to keep it warm for an extended period of time).  Serve warm with apple slices, pretzels, or whatever you prefer.

26 Responses to Warm Peanut Butter Caramel Dip
  1. Caroline @ chocolate and carrots
    April 7, 2011 | 7:06 am

I love a nice sweet and crisp apples with peanut butter, but this takes it to a whole new level. Going to try this one for sure! :-D

2. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    April 7, 2011 | 8:16 am

I think we all go through those funks! Hopefully you will start feeling your usual self again soon:-) This dip looks delicious!

April 7, 2011 | 8:38 am

I can totally relate to your food guilt over this one Jen. This dip looks sinfully delicious.

April 7, 2011 | 8:44 am

Delicious looking dip! Sorry you aren’t feeling up to par and hoping it just a brief phase for you Jen.

5. Winnie
    April 7, 2011 | 11:35 am

I think you are bring awfully hard on yourself…this dip looks pretty damn delicious to me! Here’s to hoping you snap out of “the funk” soon ;)

6. Daydreamer Desserts
    April 7, 2011 | 12:35 pm

This dip sounds incredibly delicious. I can totally relate to how you are feeling Jen, hang in there. XOXO

April 7, 2011 | 12:35 pm

I feel ya about the funks. We all get them. I especially get them in the Winter. I need sun and warm weather.

This dip looks really tasty. I love the addition of peanut butter and cinnamon…yum!

8. Cookbook Queen
    April 7, 2011 | 12:43 pm

If you ask me, it should be illegal to eat fruit WITHOUT dip. THis sounds amazing!!

9. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies
    April 7, 2011 | 12:45 pm

We all get into these funks. Just so you know, traditional mexican caramel starts with condensed milk. So as far as this Texan is concerned, you did it right. :)

10. Wenderly
    April 7, 2011 | 12:47 pm

So sorry to hear you’re in a funk love! I know *exactly* how you feel. Don’t worry though, the sun will soon shine again, I promise.

This dip sounds spectacular by the way, I’m kinda glad you weren’t in the mood to do it the right way! Think I could hork down a whole bowl of this!

xo

11. Heather
    April 7, 2011 | 1:03 pm

I would make caramel WAY more if it didn’t involve melting sugar, which I usually burn. So, I’m kinda glad you decided to make this the “wrong” way. It looks and sounds perfect to me. Sorry about your ‘funk’. Been there, and done that. It’s no fun.

12. Cookin' Canuck
    April 7, 2011 | 2:59 pm

I’m sorry you haven’t been feeling like yourself. Despite that, you have made a very tempting dip – love the addition of peanut butter.

13. Amanda
    April 7, 2011 | 5:36 pm

Wow. Just wow.

April 7, 2011 | 7:15 pm

As far as I’m concerned, you still made it the “right way!” You put together a few simple ingredients to make something amazing, rather than dropping a can of caramel sauce into a bowl, which is probably what I would have done, haha. Looks wonderful!

15. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    April 7, 2011 | 8:49 pm

I totally get it, sometimes cooking and baking just seems like too much to deal with when we aren’t feeling like ourselves. I think this dip is pretty fabulous regardless of whether you think it’s the “right” way to make caramel.

16. Nancy @SensitivePantry
    April 9, 2011 | 7:16 am

I hear you! I am in the same funk but I’m pretty sure a little bit of apple and some peanut butter caramel dip might just perk me up a bit.

17. Robyn | Add a Pinch
    April 9, 2011 | 9:06 pm

Oh my! This looks yummy!

18. Jamie | My Baking Addiction
    April 10, 2011 | 6:26 pm

Peanut Butter + Caramel…Oh dear, this could get me into big trouble!

19. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles
    April 10, 2011 | 8:34 pm

I’m sorry to hear life has been draining you lately, and know exactly what you mean about not being in the mood to cook and bake. It’s the perfect time to bring out the ultra easy and reliable recipes that everyone always loves anyway. There should be no guilt. It’s just life. And this dip sounds amazing – I haven’t had a caramel dip with PB in it before. Sounds like it would be a hit at our house!

20. Tickled Red
    April 11, 2011 | 11:34 pm

I can’t speak I’m so happy :) I have visions of peanut butter caramel dip and pretzels swimming round my head.

21. naomi
    April 12, 2011 | 1:20 pm

There’s no right or wrong way. My philosophy is if everyone enjoys it, that’s all that matters. This fantastic.

22. Joy
    April 12, 2011 | 8:39 pm

Ohhh this recipe looks wonderful.

23. Mardi@eatlivetravelwrite
    April 13, 2011 | 7:06 am

I wish I could come up with something like this when I am in a funk!

24. [...] Peanut Butter Caramel Dip [...]