Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups

People tend to have this idea that everything in my kitchen turns out perfectly… That couldn’t be further from the truth!

I’ve noticed lately that a lot of my friends are hesitant to cook for me. They’re afraid that the food won’t turn out perfectly or that I will hate what they choose to make. I wish they didn’t feel that way… I love sharing food with my friends and family, and I don’t want anyone to be intimidated!  So, today I thought I’d share one of my recipes that turned out slightly less than perfect. It’s not a miserable failure, but I don’t think it’s one of my best, either.

I’ve had Easter on the brain the last few days… Normally I make a half dozen different cookies and candies for Easter, but this year I’ve been pretty busy, and it just hasn’t happened.  I can’t do nothing, though, so I decided to “whip up” some quick chocolate chip cookie dough filled Easter eggs (kind of like peanut butter or coconut eggs… but with egg-free cookie dough).  For some reason, I didn’t want to put flour in my cookie dough filling… I was nervous about the taste/texture. I’m not really sure why, since cookie dough has uncooked flour in it and I eat that all of the time (with the eggs, too!).  So, my filling ended up being a bit on the runny side. It’s absolutely delicious, but the texture’s not quite right.

So, as I was thinking on the fly, it occurred to me that it might be better to make smaller peanut butter cup sized candies instead of giant Easter eggs. While I did make a few giant eggs, and they were tasty, the smaller portions were definitely easier to eat!

Next time, I will probably try adding some flour to the filling so that it holds together a bit better.  I’ve listed it as an optional ingredient in the recipe so that you can decide for yourself if you choose to give it a try.  Either way, these little cups of cookie dough flavored goodness are a rich and tasty treat!

Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups
(Yield depends on the size of the cups or mold)

• 14 ounce can of fat free sweetened condensed milk
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
  • Approximately 2 – 3 cups powdered sugar
  • All purpose flour (optional)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
  • Additional chocolate chips for coating the cups (amount varies)
  • Shortening (just a teaspoon or two)
  • Chocolate molds (egg shaped or peanut butter cup shaped) or mini muffin paper cups

Heat the sweetened condensed milk and brown sugar in a saucepan over medium heat.  Bring to a boil and cook for a minute.  Remove from the heat and allow to cool to room temperature.

Meanwhile, beat the cream cheese in a stand mixer until it is fluffy. Add in the sweetened condensed milk mixture, the vanilla extract, and the salt.  Mix to combine.  Gradually add the powdered sugar (and flour, if you choose to add flour) a bit at a time unti you reach your desired consistency.  Stir in the chocolate chips.

Melt the additional chocolate in the microwave with a small amount of shortening (about 1/2 teaspoon for every two cups of chips).  Brush the mold or the mini muffin cups with the melted chocolate.  Spoon some of the cookie dough filling into the center, and then cover with additional melted chocolate.  Refrigerate until the chocolate has hardened. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.

38 Responses to Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups
  1. Caroline @ chocolate and carrots
    April 21, 2011 | 6:57 am

Well, flour or not, those look like gooey chocolatey goodness. :-)

2. Victoria (District Chocoholic)
    April 21, 2011 | 7:15 am

These are genius and totally delicious looking.

3. Maris (In Good Taste)
    April 21, 2011 | 9:28 am

These look beyond fabulous! You can cook for me anytime!

4. Mindy
    April 21, 2011 | 10:19 am

These look delicious! I’m a terrible candy maker, but this recipe is quite tempting…

I have the same problem with friends cooking for me–no matter how hard I try to convince them that I don’t eat the food I post on my blog every day, they still seem to be intimidated for some reason. Maybe I need to post my not-as-successful recipes as well! (Although I don’t know how not-so-successful this recipe is…I’d dig into it right now if I could!) :-)

5. The Texas Peach
    April 21, 2011 | 10:20 am

They look pretty darn tasty to me! Perfectly sized little treats!

6. Wenderly
    April 21, 2011 | 11:51 am

I could eat about 12 dozen of these right this very minute. They look heavenly!

7. DessertForTwo
    April 21, 2011 | 12:45 pm

It’s funny you’re posting this as a sorta-flop because I think this is one of the best things I’ve seen for Easter! Great idea and it looks delicious! :)

8. Lora
    April 21, 2011 | 2:07 pm

These look dangerously delicious. The kind of delicious where you can’t stop at one or ten!

9. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies
    April 21, 2011 | 2:08 pm

I think it’s important for us to blog about our failures, or even food we don’t like. For example, total confession: I’m posting about potato salad tomorrow. I loathe potato salad. But the rest of the world seems to love my grandmother’s, so I *know* it’s just me, and that other people would love her recipe. And so, I’m posting potato salad. And I made potato salad. That I gave to the neighbors and only tasted to make sure that yep, I still hate the stuff.

I love the look of these, Jen. I’ve really got to try making more “candy”.

10. Jen @ How To: Simplify
    April 21, 2011 | 4:02 pm

Wow! These look amazing! I would love to take a big bite out of one of these right now!

April 21, 2011 | 4:59 pm

I absolutely wouldn’t refuse one of these! They’re perfect in my eyes. :-)

12. Denise @ Creative Kitchen
    April 21, 2011 | 5:47 pm

I love anything cookie dough!! Mmmm…..these look seriously good! :)

April 21, 2011 | 6:30 pm

You can never go wrong with cookie dough – these look delicious Jen!

14. Alexandra
    April 21, 2011 | 8:55 pm

Condensed milk, powdered sugar and brown sugar? Is it not incredibly sweet? I love the idea though!

15. Joy
    April 21, 2011 | 9:55 pm

That looks wonderful.

16. Nancy @SensitivePantry
    April 22, 2011 | 6:38 am

These look perfectly fine to me. But, I know what you mean about imagining how you want the end result to be and having it turn out different. Tasty but different.

17. Lauren at Keep It Sweet
    April 22, 2011 | 10:22 am

There is something about cookie dough that makes it delicious in any form!

18. Allison
    April 22, 2011 | 10:28 am

Joy Joy Joy! I can’t wait to try these. Genius AND delicious!

19. Jamie | My Baking Addiction
    April 22, 2011 | 10:41 am

Um…these look like little bites of perfection in my book!

20. megan @ whatmegansmaking
    April 22, 2011 | 12:11 pm

Looks perfect to me! Love anything cookie dough related :)

21. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    April 22, 2011 | 8:06 pm

I actually think a slightly runny filling sounds pretty good, it would just melt in your mouth.

22. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles
    April 23, 2011 | 7:28 pm

I LOVE cookie dough. And surrounded in chocolate…beyond perfect, in my book!

23. Chocolate Chip Cookies
    April 26, 2011 | 6:45 pm

[...] My Kitchen Addiction shares her recipe for Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups [...]

24. Jennifer
    May 3, 2011 | 8:13 pm

Oh my goodness, so yummy! What a blissful dessert! :)

25. bridget {bake at 350}
    May 19, 2011 | 5:35 pm

HOW did I miss THESE??!?!? Oh my goodness, Jen! They sound fabulous and look perfect to me!!!

26. [...] Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups From My Kitchen Addiction [...]

27. Nora
    August 13, 2011 | 3:27 pm

how much do these yield with your muffin tins?

28. Looking Back on 2011 | my kitchen addiction
    December 29, 2011 | 6:02 am

[...] Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups (from April 2011) [...]

29. Kathrine
    March 22, 2012 | 2:08 pm

I tried this recipe it took one night for my family to down these delictable chocolate treats. Will be trying this again.

30. cathy_k
    April 27, 2012 | 1:22 am

excucise me , but how much flower you put it in it?

April 28, 2012 | 6:23 pm

Cathy – You can use the flour to adjust to the texture that you like. I added just a little bit, but I’d recommend adding it about 1/2 cup at a time until you achieve a texture that you like.

31. cathy_k
    April 27, 2012 | 1:23 am

oops meant flour :p

32. [...] how to make these delicious Chocolate Chip Cookie dough cups over on my kitchen addiction.  Oh, [...]

33. theultimatefoodaddict
    January 8, 2013 | 12:17 am

these are so pretty! wanna try them out too. thanks for sharing!

34. [...] Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups by My Kitchen Addiction – Need I say [...]

35. [...] Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cups From My Kitchen Addiction [...]

36. Amanda
    March 6, 2013 | 5:36 pm

these look amazing and delicious but i was just wondering if you think it would change the outcome much if i used butter instead of cream cheese? my sister is allergic to cream cheese (i know, weird) but will it work if i use butter instead? and if so, how much butter?

March 7, 2013 | 1:57 pm

Hi, Amanda – Yes, I think you could use butter instead of cream cheese… The taste will certainly be different, but it should work OK. I’d start with half of the amount of cream cheese called for in the recipe and adjust to taste. Since I have never done it before, I can’t really give you exact measurements.