This week has been a crazy one! I’m writing this post early (on Wednesday) since I’m headed to New York City on Thursday and Friday. I’ve been getting ready for my trip, trying to get some work done, and also doggy sitting for my parents this week. Needless to say, my house has been a bit like living in a circus… But, a fun circus!
There were lots of great posts that I have come across this week… Though I often tend to share a lot of dessert posts, I’ve been cutting back on the amount of baking I’ve been doing in an effort to curb the amount of sugar that my hubby and I eat. We still enjoy treats from time to time, but not as many as before! I think that new mindset has influenced my picks for this week’s Friday Favorites, too…
- I’m just loving this Vegetable Confetti Soup from Two Peas and Their Pod… It looks healthy and hearty, and it’s really adaptable to whatever you can find at the farmer’s market or your local store. Bookmark this one for a cold, rainy day.
- As much as I love to bake and decorate cakes and cookies, if I have to choose a favorite dessert, it’s probably brownies. I just love the rich, chocolatey goodness of brownies. So, it’s no surprise that I can’t wait to make these Brownie Cookies from The Purple Foodie. Don’t they look amazing?
- Peppermint patties are one of my favorite candies. I have attempted to make them a few times in the past, but just ended up with a big sticky mess. I’m willing to give them another try, though, and I’ll definitely be trying these Peppermint Patties from I Am Baker.
- I don’t really cook a whole lot of meat, but I must admit that I really do enjoy a nice steak from time to time. Instead of heading to the steakhouse, I think I’ll have to give these Dry Aged Steaks from Evil Shenanigans a try. I had no idea that they could be dry aged at home!
Have I ever mentioned that I’m a big Beatles fan? It’s true. Naturally, I’m also a pretty big John Lennon fan, as well.
Since I’ll be spending time in New York City this week (and I’m probably in New York as you’re reading this), I thought it was appropriate that my pick for this week’s song to add to the kitchen playlist be New York City by John Lennon.
As I mentioned above, we’ve been trying to eat a bit healthier around here lately. We’ve been cutting back on sweets and baked goods, and we’ve also been enjoying our share of salads. It’s a great time of year to get back into eating salads, especially since the farmers markets will soon be full of fresh, local produce to make those salads even more flavorful and exciting!
I’ve been learning to make salads more interesting (who wants a giant plate of lettuce?), and one of my current favorites is a salad with blue cheese, walnuts, and cranberries. You can’t go wrong with some raspberry pomegranate vinaigrette, either.
Here are a few other salad recipes you might enjoy…
- Butternut Squash, Pomegranate, and Roquefort Salad – Good Life Eats
- Warm White Bean and Spinach Salad – How Sweet It Is
- Blood Orange, Kale, and Avocado Salad - Healthy Green Kitchen