Perfectly Drizzled Chocolate (WFMW)

Valentine’s Day is less than two weeks away… Are you ready?

My husband and I don’t usually go all out with Valentine’s Day… It’s just not our thing.  There are no diamonds or extravagant gifts (though I wouldn’t be entirely opposed to that).  We usually make a point to get each other a card and (when we remember) a small gift. Instead, we usually make a special dinner together (which is rare) and make some chocolate covered strawberries.

So, when I saw that this month’s themed Works for Me Wednesday post was supposed to focus on Valentine’s Day gift ideas, I decided to share my trick for perfectly drizzled chocolate.  After all, nothing says Valentine’s Day like dipping and drizzling with chocolate, right? Whether you are the gift giving type or not, I guarantee that your sweetie will melt for some beautiful homemade chocolate treats.

works for me wednesday at we are that family

Anyone can dunk strawberries in chocolate, but I think that adding some drizzle really takes your strawberries to the next level… Especially if you do it right.

Put down the plastic bag!

I know you probably have recipes that suggest melting chocolate in a plastic bag, cutting the tip off, and using it as a makeshift piping bag for drizzling.  Don’t do it! It’s hard to keep the chocolate from squirting out in every direction, and you run the risk of the bag exploding melted chocolate all over your kitchen (that has happened to me more times than I can count!).

Instead, get out your trusty squeeze bottle.  It seems obvious, doesn’t it?  Unlike the plastic bag (or even a disposable piping bag), you can set the melted chocolate down and don’t have to worry about a chocolate flood on your countertops.  Plus, you have much more control while you drizzle! If you don’t have a few squeeze bottles in your kitchen, you can find them at a craft store.

Work Quickly!

When you are drizzling chocolate, you have to work quickly.  If you want nice, thin, clean lines, you can’t give the chocolate any time to glop up (technical term). Gently squeeze the bottle as you quickly move your arm (not just your wrist!) back and forth.

Extra Space…

Be sure that you have extra space to work with.  Your drizzle should start off of the item you are drizzling and extend a bit on either side. It’s hard to have an even drizzle if you are worried about coloring in the lines… Just let it flow naturally, the extra drizzle will break off after the chocolate sets, and it’ll look perfect!

Think Outside the Strawberry!

Chocolate drizzle is great for more than just strawberries!  Think about your sweetie’s favorite treats… Cookies, pretzels, nut clusters, graham crackers, and even bacon are all great for dipping and drizzling with chocolate!

54 Responses to Perfectly Drizzled Chocolate (WFMW)

1. Kayla says:

Thanks for the tip! It looks really lovely:)

2. Renata says:

What a beautiful work! Thanks for sharing these precious tips!

3. Amy O says:

Oh my gosh! I have been wanting to make chocolate covered pretzel sticks since Christmas! I get a snow day today, so maybe that should go on the list of to-do’s. :) Thanks for sharing! Now I wish I had strawberries too!

4. The squeeze bottle is such a good idea, I have only used plastic bags historically!

5. Eliana says:

The drizzle does take these treats to the next level. These look super delish.

6. I really need to get some of those plastic bottles. I saw them at the dollar store too.

7. Tracy says:

What a wonderful idea!! I’ve always done it the plastic bag way, and now I’m kicking myself because of how easy the the squeeze bottle way looks! ;-)

8. […] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Paula, Jen Schall, Jen Schall, Barbara Kiebel, Susan Mallery and others. Susan Mallery said: RT @bellalimento: RT @JenSchall: My secrets to perfectly drizzled chocolate… Just in time for Valentine's Day! http://bit.ly/gSRLN2 #WFMW […]

9. Amanda says:

Fantastic tips… well done!

10. CookiePie says:

Wow – those drizzles really do look so perfect!

11. Jen, I can’t believe I never thought of this before. I have one squeeze bottle – methinks I need to get some more :-) Do you temper your chocolate? It looks so shiny!

12. A squeeze bottle is a great tip for making drizzling easier. The white chocolate drizzle on those strawberries looks just perfect, better than a lot of the ones I’ve seen in the stores!

13. Love this! Squeeze bottles rock. And I love the contrast of white chocolate on brown. So, so gorgeous :)

14. Gail says:

As a diehard proponent of the squeeze bottle, I give you a STANDING OVATION for this maneuver. Plastic bags are for hacks.

There. I said it.

15. I’ve used a squeeze bottle for other things…definitely the way to go! :) They look terrific.

16. this would work for me anyday of the week!! sounds like the perfect way to spend V-day with your “sweetie”.

17. Kristen says:

Ahhhh – this is brilliant. I’m guilty of the plastic bag abuse. This is so much better!

18. You do have a perfect drizzle going on there. I’m going to have to take your advice to heart:-)

19. Kita says:

LOL. You got me! Why didn’t I think of that? I keep three squeeze bottles int he kitchen at all times and yet when reading this I couldn’t help but think what an awesome idea. Thank you for the tip! I can’t wait to try it :)

20. Michelle says:

Beautiful photos! My biggest challenge is always filling the dang bottle!

21. Jen I’m so sorry! I was here yesterday and forgot to leave a comment. I am bad.

I hope you are doing well. Your blog looks more beautiful all the time and I’m happy to see you are still doing Share our Strength.

And these strawberries and your drizzle look beautiful.

Laura

22. polwig says:

Those are some good looking strawberries and treats… you make it look so easy.

23. Monica says:

I’ve used the squeeze bottle for drizzling melted chocolate, too. Definitely better than a bag. You can partially fill a mason jar with hot water and rest the squeeze bottle in it when you’re not using it. That keeps the chocolate in the bottle from hardening too quickly. The rim of the jar keeps the bottle from falling over. Your strawberries look beautiful!

24. What a great idea! I cannot wait to show my students your trick. We are going to have such a good time.

25. I’ve never used my squeeze bottles for chocolate….you are so smart. And your drizzling is PERFECTION!

26. I’m guilty of using the plastic bag! I’m always afraid to use the squeeze bottles because I’m afraid they will be so hard to get clean! You’ve convinced me though… I’m going to pick up a few.

27. maria says:

Love this post! Thanks so much Jen!

28. Nutmeg Nanny says:

Perfect! I should give this squeeze bottle method a try.

29. […] (Jen’s Note – I prefer to skip the plastic bag and drizzle chocolate with a squeeze bottle… Here’s my tutorial for perfect chocolate drizzle!) […]

30. […] Cotta with Pama Boozy Berries by Mango & Tomato Champagne Cream Puffs by The Craving Chronicles Perfectly Drizzled Chocolate by My Kitchen Addiction Chocolate Dipped Strawberry Roses by Cheeky Kitchen Dulce de Leche Cake […]

31. […] strawberry. Toss a few pretzel rods in there for an easy item for the kids to dip, too. Jen at My Kitchen Addiction has some great advice on getting the perfect […]

32. Efficient…and delicious at the same time!

33. […] From My Kitchen Addiction, a quick post with EASY instructions for making fab chocolate covered AND drizzled strawberries: […]

34. […] 30 seconds at a time, until the chocolate is melted and smooth.  Transfer to a squeeze bottle, and drizzle over the praline […]

35. Holly says:

Great idea! I made some chocolate covered strawberries for the Superbowl and my white football lines didn’t turn out to well…which i would have known this tip sooner!

36. joan says:

I think you can melt the chocolate in the bottle as you do with the bags.

• Joan – Yes, you could melt the chocolate in the bottle. However, there are some health concerns with toxins from plastic getting into food, especially when microwaved. So, for that reason, I always opt to use a microwave safe glass bowl/measuring cup and transfer the plastic to the bottle.

37. Kathy Watts says:

Do you give permission for people to PIN your things on Pinterest?

38. Pat says:

Wish I had seen this earlier today when I made a mess drizzling some St. Patrick’s Day Oreo Truffles!

39. […] Perfectly Drizzled Chocolate (WFMW) | my kitchen addictionFeb 1, 2011 … When you are drizzling chocolate, you have to work quickly. If you want nice, thin, clean lines, you can’t give the chocolate any time to glop up … […]

40. Great tips on drizzling and beautiful pictures. I am sharing these on my Weekly Rays of Sunshine: http://www.tumbleweedcontessa.com/blog/weekly-rays-of-sunshine-4/

41. Mary Ann says:

I always use a spoon. Dunk the spoon in the chocolate and drizzle that wy. Totally fool proof!!

42. Liz says:

Thank you so much for the squeeze bottle tip!! Worked great! So much easier–thanks, again!

43. Alane says:

In your origInal tutorial it would have of been great if you said how to melt the chocolate. Melting in the bottle gets the bottle very hot.

44. Kristen says:

OMG. This is perfect. I have been baking for years. I will never do it another way. Thank you! ;)