Lemon Herb Haddock

I don’t make fish nearly as often as I should.  It’s mostly due to the fact that I’m pretty picky about what seafood I will eat… And, I’m even pickier about what seafood I will cook.

I usually stick to pretty basic recipes when it comes to fish… I’m always afraid I won’t cook it right or that it will be too fishy, so I tend to keep it simple.  A few weeks ago, I was inspired to try making salmon for the first time.  I ended up making a version of this recipe…  My husband thought it was great, but I couldn’t eat it.  There’s something about knowing that there’s skin on the bottom of my fish that renders it completely inedible to me. Plus, I wasn’t thrilled about the taste.  I gave it a fair chance, but it wasn’t my thing.

The one thing I did like about the salmon, though, was the herb and breadcrumb topping that I made.  I pretty much just scraped the topping off of the fish and ate that for dinner.  So, since I liked it so much, I decided to try it again using a different (and safer) fish.

When I re-made the dish using haddock, things went much more smoothly. I also added in some lemon zest to add some additional flavor to the topping.  Both my hubby and I liked it… In fact, I liked it enough to make it again.  And for a fish dish, that’s saying a lot!

Lemon Herb Haddock
(Serves 2-3)

• 12 ounces haddock fillets
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1 cup breadcrumbs
  • Small handful of fresh parsley, chopped
  • Zest from 1 lemon
  • Pinch Kosher salt
  • 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange the haddock fillets in a single layer in the baking dish, and set aside.

Meanwhile, melt the butter in a small dish (I usually use my glass measuring cup) in the microwave.  Add in the breadcrumbs, parsley, lemon zest, and a pinch of Kosher salt.  Toss with a fork until well combined.

Brush the haddock fillets with a thin layer of mustard, and then top with the breadcrumb topping.  Bake uncovered for 10 – 12 minutes, until the fish is white and flakes easily with a fork. Serve immediately.

26 Responses to Lemon Herb Haddock
    February 17, 2011 | 8:57 am

I’m sort of hesitant to cook fish as well, but only because I’m always afraid of cooking it improperly. Simple recipes like this, though, I can definitely handle! Looks great :)

2. JenniferA
    February 17, 2011 | 9:39 am

Salmon is funky. You can buy nice filets that have no skin if you want to try again. My husband only likes it two ways – absolutely charred on the grill, or from a can. I’m serious – canned salmon can actually be quite nice. I make croquettes with it, and a fabulous salmon & leek chowder.

This breadcrumb topping to me actually looks like it would work much better with a nice white fish like haddock anyway. Good call!

3. The Teacher Cooks
    February 17, 2011 | 10:47 am

Fish is one of my favorites to cook. This baked fish is going to appear on my table pretty soon!

4. Amber | Bluebonnets & Brownies
    February 17, 2011 | 1:49 pm

oooh! I’m not really a fish person either. I never would have touched the salmon. I like haddock that’s deep fried (oh so healthy!) so I bet I’d like this.

5. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jen Schall, Jennifer Adams. Jennifer Adams said: Come for the fish, stay for the breadcrumb topping! RT @ JenSchall Lemon Herb Haddock http://t.co/FCPCcbX [...]

6. Monica
    February 17, 2011 | 2:59 pm

I definitely agree about the salmon skin…ewww! I do like to make salmon though, I try to buy it without the skin because I hate removing it too. This recipe looks great!

7. Violet
    February 17, 2011 | 3:16 pm

We’d love to have you feature some of your dishes at kitchenartistry.com

February 17, 2011 | 3:20 pm

I am always looking for new fish recipes! And, the last time I made haddock it was totally lacking flavor…I’m going to try this!

February 17, 2011 | 3:48 pm

I really have to MAKE myself eat fish, but usually when I find a decent recipe, I decide I actually like it! This looks like a good one to try.

10. Kristen
    February 17, 2011 | 4:38 pm

What a gorgeous looking dish! Totally going to try this.

11. Evil Shenanigans
    February 17, 2011 | 6:04 pm

That looks so tasty! We do not eat enough haddock in out house, we tend to eat more tilapia. I firmly believe all fish is better with herbs and breadcrumbs! My favorite to use are sourdough. I love the tangy edge the add, and with lemon … yum! Beautiful job!

12. Brenda @ a farmgirl's dabbles
    February 17, 2011 | 7:06 pm

Our family definitely needs to eat more fish. And this looks like a great recipe to do just that. Looks beautiful!

13. Jamie | My Baking Addiction
    February 17, 2011 | 8:40 pm

I am always looking for tasty fish recipes and this one certainly looks delish!

14. DessertForTwo
    February 17, 2011 | 11:39 pm

This is a perfect weeknight dinner! You can’t go wrong with mustard, bread crumbs and lemon on fish!
    Have you seen Ina Garten’s recipe for sole baked in a mustard sauce? Similar recipe: easy, quick and delicious!

15. Michelle
    February 17, 2011 | 11:54 pm

This looks tasty – our kids love it with a topping like this. Thanks for sharing :-)

16. naomi
    February 18, 2011 | 9:54 am

I love fish and I love the topping on it, especially the mustard in it.

17. Cookbook Queen
    February 18, 2011 | 10:44 am

I am VERY picky about seafood also, but this looks divine!!

18. Joy
    February 18, 2011 | 1:49 pm

That looks great. My family is the same way. We keep saying we will eat more fish.

February 19, 2011 | 9:05 am

Hmm – this crumb topping looks awesome and I think I would enjoy it on just about anything.

February 21, 2011 | 9:25 am

I am not a big fish eater – for the reasons you describe – but I really like the look of this dish. Simple, fresh and tasty (and not too fishy!)

21. aisha
    February 25, 2011 | 4:19 pm

your dishes look yum ! will definitely try them…. you can also view n follow my blog http://kitchensojourn.blogspot.com/ .. will be really happy !

22. Andrea
    April 23, 2012 | 5:11 pm

Just finished eating this super yummy dish!! Thanks so much for a great recipe!

23. [...] soon as I arrived home, I jumped on my laptop to look for a recipe. I ended up finding a lemon herb haddock recipe that looked really good. I won’t post the recipe as I didn’t modify it so you can just [...]

24. Peggy
    March 25, 2013 | 8:55 pm

I’m known a a pretty good cook and this recipe was awfull. I’ve prepared fish for years and decided o try something different. The topping was not done, I could’ve just ate it from the bowl I mixd it in. Will try Ina’s next time. Good fish doesn’t need much more than butter and lemon.

25. PaDutchGal
    July 30, 2013 | 3:58 pm

You can avoid the skin on salmon by baking it on regular aluminum foil (not the non-stick) and when it’s done, the skin will stick to the foil and you can just remove the salmon.