Lemon Curd (WFMW)

This time of year, I tend to get in a bit of a winter food rut.  I do love the comforting casseroles, soups, and stews, but after a while, I hit my limit.

I can always tell when I’m starting to get antsy for spring and summer foods because I start to crave summery fruits and veggies.  Sure, I freeze and can during the summer so that we have local, healthy food all year round, but strawberry jam and frozen green beans just aren’t the same as the fresh, real thing. So, this time of year, I usually start to give in a bit and pick up a package of organic strawberries that traveled halfway across the world to make it to my grocery store. I try not to do it too often, but sometimes you have to do what you have to do.

This year, along with my berry cravings, I’ve also been in the mood for citrus.  Few fruits are as bright and cheery as lemons, so I picked up a big bag of lemons.  I’ve been adding lemon slices to my beverages and adding a spritz of summery flavor to all sorts of dishes.

works for me wednesday at we are that family

Despite my efforts to make my way through the enormous bag of lemons that I purchased, I still had quite a few left over after about a week. I couldn’t bear to let them go to waste. So, naturally, I made lemon curd.

I thought I’d share my simple and easy recipe for lemon curd for this week’s Works for Me Wednesday post because it’s great for getting rid of the winter blues.  It’s fantastic on desserts (cakes, muffins, tarts, even cheesecake) and takes breakfast up a notch when you slather a bit on a slice of toast or a biscuit.

Lemon Curd
(Makes about 2 cups)

• 3 – 4 lemons (enough to yield 1/2 cup juice)
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 4 egg yolks
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, cut into 6 pieces

Begin by zesting and juicing the lemons.  A strainer works well to make sure you don’t have pulp and seeds in your lemon juice. You will need 1/2 cup of juice.

Bring a pot of water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer.  In a mixing bowl that fits on top of the pot (without falling in or touching the water), whisk together the lemon juice, zest, sugar, and egg yolks. Place the mixing bowl over the pot of simmering water, and continue to whisk until the mixture thickens and coats the back of a wooden spoon (about 10 minutes).

Remove the mixing bowl from the heat.  Gradually whisk in the butter, one piece at a time, until it has all been incorporated into the lemon curd. Transfer to a clean bowl or jar.  Press a piece of plastic wrap down against the surface and refrigerate.  The lemon curd will keep for about a week in the fridge.

41 Responses to Lemon Curd (WFMW)
  1. Gail
    February 23, 2011 | 9:03 am

Lemon curd is my downfall. I cannot keep it in this house no way no how. It always manages to find its way to a spoon and then lands in my mouth. No toast…that’s fattening.

Thanks a lot for adding to the monkey on my back.

2. JenniferA
    February 23, 2011 | 9:21 am

I caved and bought some California strawberries this week too!!

I’ve never made my own lemon curd but I guess it is high time I try. This looks divine.

3. Amanda
    February 23, 2011 | 9:24 am

Beautiful pics and recipe… you inspire me!! :)

February 23, 2011 | 9:29 am

I can’t think of a better way to use up lemons :) Awesome pictures Jen.

5. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jen Schall, Gail Dosik, Tracey Wilhelmsen, Picture Me Cooking , Jennifer Adams and others. Jennifer Adams said: More lemon! More sunshine! More spring! RT @JenSchall Lemon Curd (WFMW) http://t.co/qL833GP [...]

6. Dulce Dough
    February 23, 2011 | 10:03 am

This is great! I’ve never made lemon curd before. I didn’t realize how easy it is!

February 23, 2011 | 10:31 am

Like Dulce Dough, I’ve never made lemon curd before either. Your recipe is so simple….what’s stopping me!

8. Liberty
    February 23, 2011 | 4:19 pm

Looks great – would be stupendous on my grain free cupcakes!! http://bit.ly/fallNO
    LIB

9. Evil Shenanigans
    February 23, 2011 | 5:51 pm

Love lemon curd! It is great for breakfast, snacks, and desserts. Always good to have on hand.

10. foodie and the chef
    February 23, 2011 | 8:45 pm

This looks totally wonderful – I am a citrus freak, and your curd looks such a beautiful yellow & so creamy!

11. melissa @IWasBornToCook
    February 23, 2011 | 11:27 pm

That looks great – I’d love to try this soon.

12. Daydreamer Desserts
    February 24, 2011 | 12:42 am

The perfect recipe for me to use the lonely egg yolks which didn’t partake in my macaron making adventures. :) Thanks Jen!

13. Jennifer
    February 24, 2011 | 9:01 pm

I love lemon curd – it’s my favorite dessert. I haven’t made it in ages! I love it on biscuits, or my preferred method: by the spoonful :)

14. Sylvie @ Gourmande in the Kitchen
    February 24, 2011 | 9:30 pm

I hear you about needing some summery flavors, I’ve been in a winter funk recently too. Some lemon curd would brighten everything up!

15. Rebekah {All Thingz Related}
    February 24, 2011 | 10:41 pm

Thank you so much for the recipe and showing how to make it!!

February 24, 2011 | 11:46 pm

I’m so with you Jen, I bought a package of strawberries last week for the same reason. Lemon curd is my favorite, and I have a giant bowl of lemons on my counter so it’s on the to-do list for this weekend!

17. Allison @ Alli 'n Son
    February 25, 2011 | 1:39 pm

Yum, yum! I can already taste the sweet-tartness.

I’d love to have you share this recipe with Sweet Tooth Friday! http://alli-n-son.com/2011/02/24/cream-cheese-brownies/

18. Joy
    February 25, 2011 | 2:27 pm

Hmmm Lemon curd. It looks so good.

19. Sue
    February 26, 2011 | 1:04 pm

I finally made lemon curd(yesterday), and even though it tastes great, I’m not sure it’s quite thick enough:( Yours looks perfect!

February 26, 2011 | 1:12 pm

Sue – Did you follow this recipe? It will thicken up considerably in the refrigerator. But, if it didn’t get thick enough, you may want to cook it a bit longer next time!

20. Weekend Recipe List
    February 26, 2011 | 1:54 pm

[...] Lemon Curd at My Kitchen Addiction [...]

21. [...] tie it all together, I paired the panna cotta and cookies with some homemade lemon curd and a few blueberries.  It turned out to be the perfect combination of creamy and crunchy. The [...]

22. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes)
    March 5, 2011 | 2:37 pm

Ahh lemon curd.. I really ought to haul my ass to the kitchen and make it. I assume the sugar goes in with the juice and the yolks?

23. [...] I made two kinds of doughnuts… Peanut butter filled doughnuts with chocolate ganache and lemon curd filled doughnuts.  That’s how I [...]

24. lemon curd « miki's kitchen
    March 13, 2011 | 3:13 pm

[...] from my kitchen addiction [...]

25. Lemon Curd « Kitchen Imprecision
    April 2, 2011 | 3:31 pm

[...] (using raw eggs, mind you), I think it turned out well…. I didn’t deviate much from the recipe but I will provide it here nonetheless.  One quick thing to note: the second time I made it, I put [...]

26. Amy O
    April 3, 2011 | 9:47 am

Hey Jen, I just made the lemon curd, but I have a question…when do you add the sugar? I got all the way to whisking in the butter and realized my sugar was out on the counter, but not in the curd! :) I reread the recipe, but don’t see when to add it. Shouldn’t it be added with the eggs, juice, and zest? I went ahead and added it after the butter because when I tasted it, boy was it t*a*r*t! Not sure if it will stay thick enough, but it tastes a whole lot better!
    Thanks for a great recipe! Can’t wait to try it again!

April 3, 2011 | 5:59 pm

Hi, Amy – Sorry about the confusion! You’re right… I had forgotten to mention when to add the sugar! It gets whisked in with the lemon juice, zest, and yolks at the very beginning! I have fixed the recipe… Thanks so much for letting me know!

27. kristy
    May 5, 2011 | 12:53 am

Hi Jen, I’ll have to say you have such a lovely site. Your pictures are amazing. And lemon curd is definitely something I couldn’t resist. Thanks for sharing. Hope you’re ahving a great day.
    Kristy

28. sweetsugarbelle
    May 5, 2011 | 7:39 pm

OMG, what are you doing to me?! I could seriously drink it with a straw! I love scones and I love lemon curd…I hope this is what you give people for birthday gifts! What a WONDERFUL treat. And your photography is inpiring!

29. birdie to be
    June 9, 2011 | 12:56 pm

You have a fabulous site! Your recipes look delicious!!!

30. [...] I used this recipe for the crust, and this Lemon Curd. [...]

31. Kathleen
    July 29, 2011 | 12:51 pm

This looks eat the whole jar delicious!

32. Lemon Curd «
    July 31, 2011 | 4:04 am

[...] from my kitchen addiction [...]

33. Robin @ Simply Southern Baking
    August 7, 2011 | 6:21 am

Looks delicious! So many ways to use lemon curd.

34. Allie {A Teaspoon of LIFE}
    August 17, 2011 | 6:03 pm

Oh this looks amazing. I don’t even know what it is, but the ingredients look like heaven and that texture looks like a party in your mouth. I want to make some!!

35. Brian @ A Thought For Food
    August 22, 2011 | 7:36 pm

Every time I get my hands on some, I just can’t get enough. Great post, my dear!

36. lemon meringue cupcakes « miki's kitchen
    February 22, 2012 | 8:31 am

[...] by Miki with some help from Annie’s Eats and my kitchen addiction [...]

37. Heaher
    April 24, 2012 | 3:38 pm

I see that you mention lemon zest, how much?

38. [...] Miki with help from my kitchen addiction, Annie’s Eats and [...]