Chocolate Cranberry Pumpernickel Scones

Things could be a bit slow around here for the next week or two. My hand surgery went well on Friday, but I am still getting back up to speed and trying to cope with getting through my daily routine one-handed (and, left-handed!). I have a few recipes to share, so I will do my best to conquer the typing and share them with you!

Last week (prior to my hand surgery) I did some baking while I still had the chance… I had taken a bit of a break over the holidays, and it was nice to get back in the kitchen!

I still had some of the pumpernickel flour I had ordered left in my pantry, so I decided to use it to make some scones. I really love the combination of chocolate and cranberries, so I went with that flavor combination. These scones are easy to make and taste fabulous topped with a smear of Nutella.  They are best served right away, though, because I found that they dried out a bit after a day or two.

Chocolate Cranberry Pumpernickel Scones

• 6 ounces Greek yogurt, vanilla
  • 1/4 cup + 1-2 tablespoons of half and half
  • 1 egg
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Additional half and half
  • Raw sugar

Preheat the oven to 375°F.  Line a baking sheet with a silicon liner or a piece of parchment paper, and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, whisk together the pumpernickel flour, all purpose flour, granulated sugar, brown sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Cut the butter into small pieces, and then work into the dry ingredients with a pastry blender until the mixture resembles wet sand. Stir in the cranberries.

Meanwhile, blend together the yogurt, 1/4 cup of half and half, egg, and vanilla.  Add to the flour mixture and toss with a fork until just moistened.  If necessary, add an additional tablespoon or two of half and half to bring the dough together, Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and roll into a rectangle, approximately 1/2 inch thick.

Using a bench scraper or a sharp knife, cut the dough into rectangles and then cut the rectangles diagonally into triangles.  Transfer the scones to the prepared baking sheet. Brush the tops with additional half and half, and sprinkle with the raw sugar.

Bake for 22 – 24 minutes. Cool slightly before serving.

17 Responses to Chocolate Cranberry Pumpernickel Scones
  1. [...] This post was mentioned on Twitter by Jen Schall. Jen Schall said: {New Post} Chocolate Cranberry Pumpernickel Scones http://bit.ly/fdDQDx [...]

January 10, 2011 | 10:21 pm

Glad you’re feeling better Jen! Kudos to you for putting posts together with one hand :) Your scones look wonderful, your pictures are always so bright and sharp!

3. Daydreamer Desserts
    January 10, 2011 | 11:28 pm

Hope your hand heals quickly Jen! Great idea to use your leftover pumpernickel flour for these scones, they turned out great!

4. Denise @ Creative Kitchen
    January 11, 2011 | 1:02 am

Can’t go wrong combining cranberries and chocolate! Or anything with chocolate for that matter. These look scrumptious! Thanks for sharing.

5. katie
    January 11, 2011 | 2:30 am

I love the look of these. Really hearty and wholesome yet still indulgant served with the Nutella. I’d eat them for breakfast!

6. heather
    January 11, 2011 | 10:48 am

I’m intrigued! So, is pumpernickel flour just a blend of things that typically go into pumpernickel bread? I love the savory-sweet combination of these scones. Might need to try this out soon. Healing wishes to you for the hand!

Cheers,

*Heather*

7. kamran siddiqi
    January 11, 2011 | 2:51 pm

And this my friend is called yummalicious. Isn’t it amazing how nutella makes everything better? I have never had a pumpernickel scone, but now, I plan to!! Yum!

January 11, 2011 | 2:52 pm

Great looking fortifying breakfast scone Jen. Hope your hand is healing as it should. You’ll be back to full typing speed in no time! Great photos.

9. Paula - bell'alimento
    January 11, 2011 | 4:50 pm

Nutella makes everything more decadent! Loverly scones Jen!

10. Betty @ scrambled hen fruit
    January 11, 2011 | 8:42 pm

Speedy recovery wishes for you! (You’re doing much better than I would, typing with only one hand though.) Those scones look yummy!

11. Amy
    January 13, 2011 | 2:56 pm

I’m putting this on my list of things to make!

January 14, 2011 | 11:43 am

I love pumpernickel! These scones look great…I would gladly eat a few :)

13. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes)
    January 18, 2011 | 4:34 am

These scones look gorgeous. And oh that Nutella!! Yumm! Good luck on your recovery, I’m recovering from a surgery too, it’s no fun :(

14. Elliott Lopus
    March 3, 2011 | 11:34 am

Hi there would you mind letting me know which web host you’re using? I’ve loaded your blog in 3 completely different browsers and I must say this blog loads a lot faster then most. Can you recommend a good internet hosting provider at a fair price? Thanks a lot, I appreciate it!

March 3, 2011 | 11:55 am

Hi, Elliott – I actually use Bluehost to host this site. The site is built on WordPress with the Headway Theme… If you have more specific questions, feel free to contact me directly!