If you’re much like me, you’ve probably rushed around to finish all of your shopping and get the gifts wrapped so that you have next week to focus on food. Granted, I do make a lot of homemade gifts, so I don’t have ALL of my gifts done. But, I would much rather spend the week before Christmas in my kitchen listening to Christmas music while I cook and bake. It sure beats pushing your way through the super-crowded stores looking for last minute gifts! I suppose that it’s also a good time to clean the house if you have guests coming, but we won’t talk much about that.
Since I spent last week introducing you to more cookies than you could ever possibly bake during one holiday season (that’s a challenge… I dare you!), I thought it would good to focus this week’s Friday Favorites post on holiday entertaining! After all, we can’t live on cookies alone (or can we?).
Snacks and Apps
- You might hate me for this… Or love me. Take a look at this Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Dip from How Sweet It Is. Seriously? I’m going to send her the bill for my new wardrobe when none of my clothes fit any more. Fantastic recipe!
- If you want something savory to set out for your guests to enjoy while you’re finishing up dinner, I’d definitely recommend this Pan-Fried Onion and Chive Dip from The Merry Gourmet. It’s great for dipping, but I think it would be a fabulous topping for crusty bread, too!
- Stuffed mushrooms always make a fun appetizer. If you’re a mushroom fan, check out these lovely Stuffed Mushrooms from Tracey’s Culinary Adventures.
The Main Event
- If ham is your idea of the perfect main dish for your Christmas feast, be sure to have a look at this Honey and Brown Sugar Crusted Ham from Megan’s Cookin’. I don’t think I’m going to be hosting the Christmas feast in my family, but I might have to make this ham anyway!
- Perhaps you will be serving a smaller crowd for Christmas, or you just want to make something for a special someone… Then, you can’t go wrong with my POM-Cider Glazed Pork Chops.
On the Side
- You can’t go wrong with potatoes and Brussels sprouts for the holidays. Right now I can’t get enough of these Balsamic Glazed Skillet Potatoes and Brussels Sprouts. Seriously… We’ve been having them on a regular basis at my house for weeks!
- No holiday dinner is complete without some dinner rolls. These Potato Rolls from Dine and Dish look like they would please just about any crowd!
- I always love mac and cheese… This version is one of my favorites and has a more “grown-up” taste that your guests are sure to love!
- I stretch out cranberry season as long as I can. It’s not the holidays for me without some cranberry dishes. I’m especially loving this Cranberry Chutney from Sugarcrafter!
- Soup is a great addition to any holiday dinner table. I love this Roasted Red Pepper Soup from Good Life Eats. It’s packed with flavor from smoked paprika and cilantro!
Save Room for Dessert
- I am loving these Gingerbread and Egg Nog Cupcakes from Sugar Duchess. They are cute enough to serve at any party this holiday season, and you can’t beat the super festive flavors!
- I almost immediately think of pie when I think of holiday desserts. If you’re looking for some new flavors this year, you won’t want to miss this Chocolate Bourbon Pecan Pie from A Chica Bakes. It’s a great twist on an old favorite!
- Here’s another pie that’s a twist on an old favorite… Since I love cranberries, it’s no surprise that I am loving the look of this Cranberry Apple Pie from Bake at 350. Who wants plain old apple pie when you can have cranberry apple pie?
- If you want to impress your friends and family, you can’t go wrong with this Gingerbread, Pumpkin, and Sticky Toffee Trifle from Evil Shenanigans. Just take a look at the photos and tell me you don’t want to dig right in!