Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream

I have professed my love of the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte many times. I love all things about autumn, and I wait all summer for the first cool day when I need to wear a jacket.  So, when the first pumpkin spice lattes grace the menu at my local Starbucks, I’m there.

As much as I love my occasional drink from Starbucks, I try to keep them exactly that… Occasional.  I think that both my wallet and my wasteline thank me.  The drinks are so rich that having one is like having dessert… And, I also don’t think it’s a good idea to have a $4-5 cup of coffee on a regular basis.

So, you can imagine how thrilled I was when Tracey told me she had a great recipe for Pumpkin Spice Lattes over at Sugarcrafter.  I’ve been meaning to make it for a while, but haven’t actually gotten around to it.  Here’s the thing… As much as I enjoy my pumpkin spice lattes when I’m out and about, they are more of a special treat to me, and I don’t really have the motivation to make one at home.  I’m not much of a coffee drinker when I’m at home.

I haven’t been able to stop thinking about the flavor combinations, though, so I decided to use Tracey’s recipe as a guide to make some pumpkin spice latte ice cream, instead. After all, I don’t think you can go wrong when you take a coffee drink and turn it into ice cream.

I used my standard custard base recipe and added all of the flavors of a pumpkin spice latte. The result was a perfectly rich and creamy ice cream, the perfect tribute to the actual drink.  I think the only way to top the ice cream is to use it to make a pumpkin spice latte milkshake!

Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream
(Makes about 1 1/2 quarts, adapted from the recipe for Pumpkin Spice Lattes from Sugarcrafter)

• 4 egg yolks
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 1 1/2 cups half and half (whole milk would be fine, too)
  • 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree

Beat the egg yolks and the granulated sugar with a hand mixer on medium speed until the mixture is light in color (much like mayonnaise) and falls back into the bowl in ribbons.

Meanwhile, combine the heavy cream, half and half, espresso powder, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and cloves in a sauce pan over medium heat and bring up to a simmer. Gradually ladle about 1 cup of the hot liquid into the egg yolk mixture, beating the entire time, to temper the eggs.  Pour the tempered egg mixture into the sauce pan and whisk well.

Add the pumpkin puree to the saucepan, and whisk until the mixture is smooth.  Continue to cook over medium-low heat until it has thickened and coats the back of a wooden spoon.

Transfer the custard to a mixing bowl and cover with plastic wrap, pressing the plastic wrap against the surface. Chill the mixture for at least 2 hours, or overnight.

Freeze the custard in an ice cream maker, according to the manufacturer’s directions until the ice cream is a soft serve consistency.  Transfer to an airtight container and freeze for 3-4 hours until the ice cream has hardened. If the ice cream has frozen too hard, simply allow it to set at room temperature for a few minutes until it is scoopable.

33 Responses to Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
    October 19, 2010 | 7:06 am

As if I needed something more to fuel my pumpkin spice latte addiction! This sounds right up my alley.

2. Daydreamer Desserts
    October 19, 2010 | 8:54 am

Pumpkin spice latte is my Starbucks seasonal favorite, now in ice cream form? Well, that takes it to a whole new level!

3. Laura Flowers
    October 19, 2010 | 9:33 am

Jen I had to save this one for the next time I make ice-cream. I took my bowl out of the freezer yesterday, obviously a day too soon.

I agree with you about not buying coffee all the time. It gets expensive quick!

Wish you were going to the festival, but I’ll see you again more than once over the years. I’m sure of it.

Laura

October 19, 2010 | 9:44 am

This looks incredible! I’ll definitely be trying it soon. Thanks for the mention and your kind words too – you are too sweet! :-)

5. megan
    October 19, 2010 | 9:47 am

Pumpkin and ice cream, two of my favorite things!

6. fooddreamer
    October 19, 2010 | 10:09 am

OMG, I can’t believe it, I was thinking of making the EXACT same thing! I haven’t gotten around to it, so more power to you, you got me beat ;)
    It looks delicious!

7. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes)
    October 19, 2010 | 1:24 pm

I loved Tracy’s post too. Great idea converting it into ice-cream. That ice-cream looks sinful :)

8. Jennifer
    October 19, 2010 | 3:49 pm

Every so often I’ll get the pumpkin spice latte, so of course I’m gonna have to try this ice cream.

9. Jennie
    October 19, 2010 | 8:18 pm

You’re my hero. I must confess, I’m not a foo foo coffee person, but that latte is addictive. Fulfills my love for coffee and dessert in a cup. Great recipe!

10. Kristen
    October 19, 2010 | 9:24 pm

I am addicted to pumpkin spice latte’s and ice cream? Oh my – I bet it is amazing!

October 19, 2010 | 9:38 pm

Yum, your ice cream looks great Jen! I’ve never had the Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte, but I made pumpkin ice cream last year and loved it so I’m sure this would be a hit here too.

12. Jennifer {ItsBakedIn}
    October 20, 2010 | 12:08 am

Oh YUM! I must make this! I just put up a blog post for muffins that were inspired by Peet’s Pumpkin Spice Latte. Having the flavors in ice cream would = heaven.

13. Gail
    October 20, 2010 | 5:27 am

You’ve done it again, Jen. I like my coffee unadulterated, but as ice cream, this sounds great!!!!

14. Jeanine
    October 20, 2010 | 6:26 am

What a fantastic looking ice cream! Wow! I may need to pull out my ice cream maker one more time before the snow flies! ;)

15. Lauren
    October 20, 2010 | 7:42 am

Sign me up! This ice cream sounds amazing :).

16. Lora@cakeduchess
    October 20, 2010 | 10:28 am

Oh does this look amazing! Nice job Jen. Beautiful and tempting photo:)

17. Jen @ How To: Simplify
    October 20, 2010 | 12:40 pm

I had my first Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte yesterday! I know…it took me forever to cave in…will power! I must try this recipe. I know I would fall head over heals in love with it at first bite!

18. Natalie (The City Sisters)
    October 20, 2010 | 1:19 pm

Holy pumpkin spice latte, Batman!! This looks and sounds so awesome! I have been limiting myself to one PSL a week, but it has been hard. I reward myself on Fridays for surviving another week of law school with a special PSL. It just makes life yummy. I will definitely try out your recipe. Can’t wait!

October 20, 2010 | 1:45 pm

Wait until Bridget sees this! Your ice cream looks absolutely mouth-wateringly marvelous!

20. Mindy
    October 20, 2010 | 4:57 pm

WOW. This looks amazing.

21. Courtney
    October 21, 2010 | 9:13 am

Congrats on making the Top 9! As someone that loves your blog, I feel pretty special to be in the Top 9 with you today. :) I’ve actually made the pumpkin spice latte recipe that Tracey posted. It’s so good, and I can only imagine how delicious this ice cream must be. I bookmarked it and can’t wait to make it!

22. HappyWhenNotHungry
    October 21, 2010 | 9:17 am

I’m with you! I love everything having to do with fall, pumpkin, etc. This looks delicious. Thanks for sharing!

23. Sara
    October 21, 2010 | 11:08 am

Congrats on Top 9 :) . The photo is beautiful.

The pumpkin spice latte ice cream is right up my alley too. That’s one of my favorite drinks and I would kill for a bowl of pumpkin ice cream. Love it!

24. Annie
    October 21, 2010 | 1:57 pm

Wow, thank you for this recipe. I too am a huge fan of the Starbucks pumpkin spice latte and ice cream. This combines the best of both worlds. Better yet, what if you dropped a scoop of that ice cream into the latte? Am I getting too crazy?

25. Bakingbarb
    October 21, 2010 | 5:43 pm

When I was quite young, 4 maybe, my Dad would take us to get ice cream after church on Sunday. I very distinctly remember getting pumpkin ice cream, it was always too much for me and he always helped me eat it. I’m pretty sure he always encouraged me to get the pumpkin too! Of course it wasn’t latte inspired but I’m thinking you’re ice cream triggered memory means I am going to LOVE this ice cream.

October 21, 2010 | 6:03 pm

I love the pumpkin spice latte too! In ice cream form it would be even better!!!

October 29, 2010 | 7:32 pm

You and your icecream never cease to amaze me!

28. [...] Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream [...]

29. [...] Adapted from My Kitchen Addiction [...]

30. kellypea
    September 21, 2011 | 12:53 pm

I’m not quite ready for pumpkin pie, squash, and all the other fall flavors, but this? OH. MY. Can’t wait to try it and hopefully sooner than later.

31. what katie's baking
    September 26, 2011 | 4:43 pm

really?? this is seriously amazing. i want some so bad!! i’m a pumpkin FREAK!
    great recipe.

32. Winnie
    November 1, 2011 | 6:55 am

Wow Jen…this looks delicious! I had my first pumpkin spice latte from Sbucks recently and immediately understood what all the fuss was about :)

33. Pumpkin Spice Latte Ice Cream | OliePants