Last week I wasn’t able to write my Friday Favorites post… But, I had a good reason! We were camping (and by camping, I mean renting a cabin) in the woods, and I had no cell phone or internet access. Honestly, it was relaxing to be offline for a few days.
Now that I’m home, though, I’m glad to be back, and I’m gradually getting caught up on everything I missed while I was away. So, for this week’s edition of my Friday Favorites, I thought I’d throw in a few extras to make up for my lack of favorites last week… Hope you enjoy them!
- I have been thinking about these Meatless Muffalettas from Three Many Cooks ever since I was lucky enough to sample them at the Big Summer Potluck a few weeks ago. Take my word for it… They were incredible. I can’t wait to make them myself… I know they’ll become a regular for lunch around here!
- I am a big fan of salty and sweet treats, so I am loving these Salted Caramel Brownies from Brown Eyed Baker. I’m almost afraid to bake them, because I know I’ll probably devour entirely too many. And, I’d probably eat the leftover salted caramel with a spoon.
- I get a lot of questions about substitutions for my recipes, which I do my best to respond to and address. Of course, it’s impossible for me to try every version of every recipe, though. So, I thought I’d pass along this post on Baking Ingredients and Substitutions from David Lebovitz. There’s a lot of information, so you might want to bookmark this one!
- I’m intrigued by this Homemade Pizza Sauce from The Other Side of Fifty… Mags admits that it’s a bit time consuming, but I’m OK with that (sometimes I encourage it… I’m not right). I’m thinking about making a giant bunch and freezing it for some tasty pizza sauce all winter long.
- If you find puff pastry intimidating, be sure to check out this Quick Puff Pastry from The Sophisticated Gourmet. Instead of pounding out a giant cube of butter into a rectangle (which can be comical, you should have seen my attempts in the past!), he cuts the butter into the flour and then shapes the dough into a rectangle. Next time I make puff pastry, I’m giving this a try!
- If you love peanut butter and chocolate (and even if you don’t), you need to check out these Homemade (chocolate filled) Nutter Butters from Bake at 350. I am always in awe of Bridget’s beautiful cookie creations and I think she has outdone herself this time. Seriously, go check them out. You can thank me later!
- As you know, I’m a bit obsessed with peaches lately. So, you know I’m loving this Meeting Street Cake from She Wears Many Hats. She used nectarines, but I think it would be equally fantastic with peaches!