Cookie Favors for Big Summer Potluck

This past weekend, I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to attend the Big Summer Potluck – one of the few foodie events within driving distance of my home.  I had an incredible time and enjoyed meeting so many new people. I am always so happily surprised at how welcoming and friendly the food blogging community is! I’m not going to go into all of the details about the event, but if you’d like to hear all about it, you can check out my post over at Forgotten Foodies.

Though the event was called a “potluck” it wasn’t requirement to bring a dish to share, but I couldn’t go empty handed.  That’s just the way I am.  I contemplated baking a cake, or even cupcakes, but I had my doubts that either would make it there in one piece. I’m not a bad driver, but buttercream icing in the back seat of my car on a summer day is really tempting fate! I knew I’d have no trouble transporting some decorated cookies, though, so I decided to decorate some sugar cookies to look like little cakes and cupcakes.

To make the cupcakes, I followed my usual vanilla bean sugar cookie recipe, which always seems to be a big hit.  I decorated the cookies with royal icing.  I’m finding that it’s getting easier and easier to decorate cookies now that I have had quite a bit of practice (and lots of advice from Gail and Bridget!).  I made it a bit easy on myself because I used the same color scheme for both cookies – pink and white (with a hint of green for leaves on the cake cookies).  I was pleased with how they turned out.

To complete my “cookie favors” for the potluck party, I individually wrapped each cookie, tied it with some curling ribbon (I need to go to a curling ribbon support group or something, I am addicted to that stuff), and attached one of my business cards. I always enjoy baking for others, so I was excited to get to share my cookies with all of my new friends at the event!

25 Responses to Cookie Favors for Big Summer Potluck
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet
    August 10, 2010 | 8:04 am

Jen those cookies look incredible!!

2. Gail
    August 10, 2010 | 8:25 am

You’re so sweet, Jen, to have mentioned me. You took to cookie decorating like a duck to water! Beautiful, beautiful cookies for such a fun occasion.

3. [...] enough, we were each given a bag filled with goodies from various sponsors (and these adorable cookie favors brought by Jen of My Kitchen Addiction!), which included a copy of Pam’s new cookbook that [...]

August 10, 2010 | 8:58 am

I loved these cookies; they were so cute! I’m (not too) sorry to say that the one I took for the hubby never made it to him. ;-)

August 10, 2010 | 9:45 am

This look so amazing Jen. You are so incredibly talented and should be really proud of yourself.

6. Wendi @ Bon Appetit Hon
    August 10, 2010 | 10:12 am

Jen, the cookies rocked. I was looking for crumbs in the bag after I had eaten mine.

Looking forward to seeing you at the end of the month in Seattle.

7. joy
    August 10, 2010 | 11:20 am

That looks beautiful. Good job!

8. Kathia
    August 10, 2010 | 12:19 pm

The cookies came out really cute. I love the color palette.

9. Kate
    August 10, 2010 | 12:53 pm

They turned out beautiful! I love the simple pink and white color scheme. Simply gorgeous!!

August 10, 2010 | 12:54 pm

Gorgeous cookies Jen!

11. Kelly @ EvilShenanigans
    August 11, 2010 | 10:16 am

WOW! What beautiful cookies!! You did a great job!

12. The Teacher Cooks
    August 12, 2010 | 4:38 pm

Jen, You are so talented!

13. Ingrid
    August 13, 2010 | 12:07 am

Wow! These look beautiful!

14. Avanika (Yumsilicious Bakes)
    August 14, 2010 | 11:36 am

Awesome cookies. I love curling ribbon too!! When did you change your blog design? It looks awesome!!

August 19, 2010 | 6:48 am

Having been a recipient of some of your “cookie favours” I can attest to the fact that they are not only gorgeous but delicious!

16. bridget {bake at 350}
    August 20, 2010 | 7:40 pm

They turned out beautifully! I bet they were the hit of the potluck!

17. the urban baker
    September 27, 2010 | 7:57 am

what’s your favorite royal icing recipe. i have yet to find “the one”! thanks!

18. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction
    September 27, 2010 | 8:01 am

the urban baker – Lately I have been using meringue powder to make my royal icing… 3 tbsp meringue powder, 6 tbsp warm water, and 1 pound confectioners sugar… Then I thin with extra warm water to the right consistency.

19. [...] of cookie decorating this year (from carrots and bunnies for carrots and bunnies for Easter to cupcakes and cakes for a blogger get together, from wedding dress cookies for a bridal shower to turkeys for [...]

20. giancarla
    June 23, 2011 | 8:00 pm

Hi, I love your artistic touch. I wanted to ask you where did you purchase the cello bags.

June 23, 2011 | 8:13 pm

Hi! Thank you for your kind comment… The cello bags were purchased at a craft store, either Michaels or AC Moore.

21. Decorated Wedding Cookies | Sugarcrafter
    July 11, 2011 | 10:02 am

[...] fact, I totally copied her design because I loved it so much – and, so did everyone else at the wedding. By the time I heard [...]

22. [...] nervous, I felt at ease talking to Jen and found that we had a lot in common (not to mention, her decorated cookies were amazingly delicious). The conference was truly the beginning of something great. Over the last [...]

23. Erica @ Little Things Favors
    June 10, 2013 | 1:44 pm

I was browsing for kitchen favor ideas and came across your blog. Just had to stop and say those cookies look delicious! You’ve made me hungry from those pics! Do you have a link to your royal icing?