Blueberry Scones

We’ve been eating a lot of salads lately because our CSA has been providing us with lots of greens and giant heads of lettuce.  I don’t mind eating salads for dinner, but I need something to go with them – bread, muffins, quesadillas, etc.

So, this week when salad night rolled around, I decided to do some baking.  I had some buttermilk in the fridge that I wanted to use, and as I was thinking about what to make, buttermilk scones popped into my head.  I’ve never made scones with buttermilk before, so I decided to do a quick search online.  I came up with this recipe from Martha Stewart and decided to give it a try.

I don’t usually try many Martha recipes, and I’m not sure why. I’m not anti-Martha, I just don’t typically read her books and magazines.  I know a lot of people love her, though, so I figured I’d give the scones a try.  I did make a few changes, though, because I wanted to use some whole wheat pastry flour I had on hand.  I rarely bake with only all purpose flour any more… I manage to incorporate some whole wheat flour into just about everything I make.

My scones didn’t puff up quite as much as I had hoped.  I may have over-handled the dough or flattened it out too much before I cut the scones. Even though they didn’t look quite as pretty as I had hoped, they tasted wonderful.  My hubby and I both enjoyed eating them with our salads for dinner… And again the next morning for breakfast!

Whole Wheat Blueberry Scones

(Adapted from Martha Stewart)

• 1 cup all purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
  • 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 3/4 teaspoons salt
  • 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces
  • 1 cup blueberries (I used frozen, but fresh would be great)
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 eggs, divided
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla bean paste (or vanilla extract if that’s what you have on hand)
  • Raw sugar

Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly grease a baking sheet, or line with parchment or a silicon mat, and set aside.

Whisk together the all purpose flour, whole wheat pastry flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt.  Add the pieces of butter and use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture until crumbly.  Stir in the blueberries.

In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, one egg, and the vanilla bean paste.  Add the wet ingredients to the flour mixture and toss with a fork, just until the dough comes together. Transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead gently one or two times, forming the dough into a ball.

Flatten the dough into a disc, and then use a bench scraper to cut the disc into 10-12 wedges (I ended up with 10). Transfer the wedges to the prepared baking sheet.

Beat the remaining egg with a fork and brush over the tops of the scones on the baking sheet.  Sprinkle with the raw sugar. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until golden.  Cool for about 10 minutes on the baking sheet. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.

16 Responses to Blueberry Scones
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet
    June 10, 2010 | 11:10 am

Looove that you made these whole wheat. That means I could eat 5-6, right? ;)

2. Maria
    June 10, 2010 | 11:39 am

I love that you used whole wheat. Maybe I will make these this weekend. Great breakfast treat!

3. bridget {bake at 350}
    June 10, 2010 | 1:45 pm

Yum. Yum, yum, yum, yum. I love a blueberry scone. as a matter of fact, I *just* ate one…from Starbucks and I know it was not anywhere near as good as these. Thanks for the recipe!

4. jenn
    June 10, 2010 | 6:03 pm

I’ve been eating salads since I came back. hahaha… and nothing else. I could make the exception for a scone or two.

5. Nora@LifeLifeEatRight
    June 10, 2010 | 8:51 pm

your pictures always make my mouth water. These look fantastic, I can’t wait for blueberry season! SO SOON!

June 10, 2010 | 10:10 pm

I’m the same way Jen – salad is fine, but it definitely needs something to accompany it! Your scones look wonderful. I haven’t tried that particular recipe but blueberry scones are one of my favorites!

7. eleni
    June 11, 2010 | 8:40 am

Wonderful scones… looks fantastic and blueberry is one of my favourite fruits!!

8. MrsLavendula
    June 11, 2010 | 9:38 am

those blueberry scones look lovely!

9. Erica
    June 11, 2010 | 10:06 am

Your scones look picture perfect! Delicious.

10. Linn at Swedish Home Cooking
    June 12, 2010 | 3:46 am

Scones with blueberries is my favorite! I like them a bit warm with a thick layer of sour cream. Mmm.

11. Simply Life
    June 12, 2010 | 5:16 am

wow, I wish I had one of those for breakfast right now!

12. sippitysup
    June 12, 2010 | 9:00 am

This is beautiful. Very deserving of the Top 9. Congratulations. GREG

13. Laura
    June 12, 2010 | 4:58 pm

Yum! Love scones and love that you made it healthier. I do this with muffins and cakes all the time, but never thought it would work with scones. I will definitely try this!

June 18, 2010 | 8:07 am

These are absolutely beautiful Jen. What a great complement to the salad fest!

15. smilinggreenmom
    June 19, 2010 | 3:10 pm

Wow good job on the Martha recipe! These look fab :) I am glad to hear that you used whole wheat bc that is what our family strives for too. Our favorite is Kamut Wheat and since it really bakes up beautifully, I think I may just have to try it with this recipe! TY for sharing!

16. Luv2bake
    January 22, 2011 | 3:42 pm

Thanks for the recipe! It was exactly what I was looking for..wanted the taste of a blueberry scone but with a healthier twist to use the wheat flour. I didn’t make mine as flat as yours so my dough was thicker and I ended up with some thick hearty scones!