Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal

Every year, I get excited to see the first rhubarb at the farmer’s market… And, I have to have it. I always buy a giant bunch with great hopes and dreams for it. Then, it sits in my fridge.

Part of my problem with rhubarb is that I LOVE it, and my husband HATES it. If you’re thinking “My mother told me that hate is a very strong word,” then you would be correct. He really hates it. Last year I made a strawberry rhubarb cobbler (trying to disguise the rhubarb in something he would like) and he picked all of the strawberries out and refused to try the rhubarb (and even complained that the strawberries had been contaminated by it).

So, this year I decided that the rhubarb wasn’t worth the battle and I would just make something for myself with it. This is the other part of the problem… If I make a cake or cobbler with the rhubarb, I will eat the entire thing! Like I said, I love the stuff.

After it sat in the fridge for about a week, I finally decided that I had to do something with the rhubarb… After all, I couldn’t let it go to waste.  So, I decided to try adding it to something else my husband refuses to eat – baked oatmeal! It was a win-win because I wasn’t ruining what he would consider to be an otherwise edible food, and it was a relatively healthy dish that I could eat for breakfast and not feel too guilty! Oh yeah… It tasted pretty good, too!

Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal

• 1 cup milk
  • 1/2 cup applesauce
  • 1 egg, lightly beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 cup golden milled flax
  • 1 cup rhubarb, diced

Preheat the oven to 350°F.  Spray a small baking dish (about 8 by 8-inches) with cooking spray and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine the milk, applesauce, egg, and vanilla.  Whisk until smooth.  In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients – oats, brown sugar, and baking powder.

Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir until just moistened.  Gently stir in the rhubarb.  Pour the oatmeal mixture into the prepared baking dish.

Bake for about 25 minutes, until set and golden on top.  Serve warm.

37 Responses to Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet
    May 4, 2010 | 3:43 pm

I have never had rhubarb. If it tastes like a veggie, I may be with your hubby on this one. ;)

2. Heather (Heather's Dish)
    May 4, 2010 | 3:58 pm

i’ve never had rhubarb outside of jam…this sounds like a great way to try it on it’s own though! maybe with some vanilla ice cream on top? you know, for protein… ;)

3. Kelly @ EvilShenanigans
    May 4, 2010 | 4:00 pm

Oh yum! Hubs would love this!

4. Joy
    May 4, 2010 | 4:01 pm

That is a cool twist to oatmeal. I actualy have never had rhubard.

5. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction
    May 4, 2010 | 4:04 pm

Jessica – I don’t personally think it tastes like a veggie (but I like veggies, so I am probably biased). It’s very tart, which I like (I’m also a cranberry fanatic)… You should try it sometime! :)

6. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction
    May 4, 2010 | 4:04 pm

Heather – We think alike! I always knew that ice cream was in the protein food group :)

7. Joanne
    May 4, 2010 | 4:12 pm

OOOOO this sounds delicious! I love rhubarb and thankfully so does just about everyone in my life. You should make a strawberry rhubarb jam with it that way you can have it on toast and your husband can have boring storebought jam. And everyone will be happy.

8. jenn
    May 4, 2010 | 6:28 pm

This is a good way to jazz up breakfast…or snack. :) I need to take a trip down to the farmer’s market to see if they’ve got some rhubarb. :)

May 4, 2010 | 6:58 pm

I’ve only ever had rhubarb baked in a pie with strawberries so I don’t know that I’ve ever really tasted it (the strawberries and a lot of sugar masked the flavor), but I definitely want to try it in another recipe. This oatmeal looks like a good option!

10. Wanda
    May 4, 2010 | 11:30 pm

This looks delish! I love rhubarb too! Your husband and mine must be related…lol

11. carolyn
    May 5, 2010 | 5:59 am

what a terrific idea! a really nice light change. i imagine this would even be good cold in the afternoon.

May 5, 2010 | 6:39 am

It sounds delicious. Count my hubby in with yours regarding his “HATRED” of rhubarb. The only time I get it is when I go somewhere where someone’s brought a dish containing it.

13. Maria
    May 5, 2010 | 9:03 am

You know I am going to try this one. Love it!

14. Jennie
    May 5, 2010 | 12:21 pm

Isn’t lovely to have rhubarb in season now? I made some jam already, and will have to add this recipe to the line up. Nice job, Jen!

15. Katie Z
    May 5, 2010 | 3:34 pm

Oh, this looks so good! I’m so glad that it’s finally rhubarb season. I’m making this, this weekend!

May 6, 2010 | 7:12 am

I totally bookmarked this and plan to make a big pan of it for my breakfasts next week. Thanks for sharing this!

17. Rcakewalk
    May 6, 2010 | 7:36 am

I saw this just before bed last night and couldn’t wait for morning! … Off to make what I know will be an amazing breakfast! Thanks!

18. Deirdre
    May 6, 2010 | 11:25 am

Hey just wondering around how many servings this makes…? I love baking something ahead of time and having it as snacks or breakfast throughout the week. As long as I can keep my boyfriend from eating it all :)
    Thanks!

May 6, 2010 | 11:38 am

Deirdre – Depending on how hungry you are, the oatmeal makes about 4-6 servings. Hope you enjoy it!

19. Tamara
    May 6, 2010 | 12:30 pm

I tried rhubarb for the first time last week in a compote, and I haven’t been able to keep my spoon out of the jar since! I’ve been eating it as a pancake and toast topper, but was afraid to try it in oatmeal because the flavor is very strong. I’m bookmarking this to try either this weekend or when we come back from vacation in a few weeks.

May 6, 2010 | 4:37 pm

I’m like your husband in that I don’t care for rhubarb but I love oatmeal and think I will try your recipe with dates. BTW, love your heart shaped bowl!

21. Laura Flowers
    May 7, 2010 | 10:30 am

I’m pulling out my rhubarb and making this for breakfast! Jen this is fantastic looking. How can anyone hate rhubarb? Did someone beat your husband with it when he was a child?

May 7, 2010 | 8:08 pm

See now I am not a fan either but perhaps this might change my mind. Rhubarb is only just starting to appear in these parts… You’ve got me thinking!

23. Lauren
    May 9, 2010 | 1:15 am

I LOVE Rhubarb but don’t have any on hand. I am going to try this for Mother’s Day brunch tomorrow with strawberries instead, I’m sure it will turn out fine!

24. [...] Posted on May 11, 2010 by Vanilla Bean Baker Last week I read Jenn’s post on her Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal and shortly after that I received the latest from my on-line subscription to Martha Stewart in [...]

25. Kevin (Closet Cooking)
    May 11, 2010 | 8:09 pm

Nice way to enjoy some rhubarb!

26. Aimee @ Simple Bites
    May 12, 2010 | 2:37 pm

LOVE it! Such an ingenious idea. Much better than eating rhubarb jam out of the jar for breakfast–this ensures I get some fiber, too.

27. Cowpunkmom
    May 18, 2010 | 9:30 pm

There are people who have never eaten rhubarb??? Perhaps there IS a quintessentially “prairie” food, I’ve never met somebody who never had rhubarb before. It grows like a weed around here, is the first thing ripe in the spring, and tastes great in pie. In other words, everybody I know eats rhubarb all summer long!

It does NOT taste like a vegetable. It tastes like sour candy. When we were kids, we would take the raw stalks and dip it in a bowl of sugar…exactly like sour candy. It has a tongue-drying tartness that is wonderful!

I’m excited to try the baked oatmeal. I stew it, make it into jam, pie, and crumble…but I’ve never put it in my morning porridge. Thanks for the idea!

28. saveur
    June 3, 2010 | 7:41 pm

I like how you incorporated the rhubarb into the oatmeal. How are leftovers?

June 4, 2010 | 7:29 am

saveur – The leftovers were great… I was the only one eating the oatmeal, so I had it all week. I just reheated it in the microwave.

29. [...] to my mind first when I think about rhubarb. I have collected a multitude of sweet rhubarb recipes to try, but who says rhubarb needs to be paired with sugar as a sweet dessert?  I stumbled upon an [...]

30. [...] usurped its position as my go-to breakfast lately. However, when I spotted rhubarb baked oatmeal at My Kitchen Addiction, I knew I had to try it.  I had no clue what baked oatmeal was, but I knew it had rhubarb which [...]

31. saveur
    June 13, 2010 | 2:45 pm

Jen, you were right – the leftovers were still good! I loved it. Thanks for sharing. :)

I wrote about it here: http://tastespace.wordpress.com/2010/06/13/rhubarb-baked-oatmeal/

32. marla
    November 10, 2011 | 7:59 am

Love it!! Linking back to this today :)

33. [...] Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal My Kitchen Addiction [...]

34. [...] Rhubarb Baked Oatmeal (because y’all know how much I love oatmeal!!) [...]

35. Jaclyn
    September 2, 2013 | 6:07 pm

Can’t even count the amount of times I’ve made this recipe this summer. We love it! We have a bunch of rhubarb growing in our garden and I keep it chopped and frozen in the freezer all summer. For a while I made a batch of this every weekend. We haven’t had it for a bit but tomorrow’s version is rhubarb + farmer’s market blueberries. I also add Red Mills unsweetened coconut flakes on top, it really puts it over the top. Thank you!!