Smokey Black Bean Soup

I’m on a mission to stop using canned beans.  Most canned beans contain BPA, and I’m not too sure about that. While I’m not a scientist, I figure it’s better to avoid it as much as possible instead of taking any chances. Cooking dry beans really isn’t very difficult. Plus, it’s much cheaper to use dried beans and I can control the amount of salt and other ingredients used!

Ok, so now that you know my theory on beans, I’ll get off of my soap box and get to the recipe. We had a few rainy, chilly days in the last week, so I thought it would be nice to make some soup for dinner. I was also trying to avoid having to go to the grocery store, so I used some smoked sausage that I had on hand.  With a bag of black beans and some veggies, it made a filling and delicious soup with a great smokey flavor.

Smokey Black Bean Soup

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 14 ounces smoked sausage, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups onion, diced
  • 1 1/2 cups bell pepper, diced
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
  • 2 hot cherry peppers, seeded and minced
  • 1 tablespoon ground cumin
  • 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 1 pound dried black beans, soaked overnight and rinsed
  • 6 cups chicken stock
  • Kosher salt

Heat the olive oil in a large heavy bottomed pot over medium heat.  Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, garlic, jalapeño, and cherry peppers.  Stir in the spices – cumin, chili powder, and smoked paprika.  Season with salt.

Add in the black beans and chicken stock.  Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer.  Partially cover and allow to simmer for about 1 1/2 hours, until the beans are tender.

Partially blend with an immersion blender to thicken the soup.  Adjust the seasonings taste, and serve.

25 Responses to Smokey Black Bean Soup
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet
    April 21, 2010 | 2:07 pm

darnit, I always used canned beans! SO much quicker. I didn’t know they had crap in them!

April 21, 2010 | 2:10 pm

This looks so hearty Jen! I wish we were bigger black bean fans here because I would be turning to this one a lot when cold weather returns. Maybe we could learn to like them more :)

3. roxan
    April 21, 2010 | 3:51 pm

Thank you for the tip on the canned beans, I’ll keep that in mind for the future! I’ve never cooked my own beans before but it looks like the extra step is definitely worth it.

How well done were your veggies before adding in the beans and stock?

April 22, 2010 | 12:23 pm

Roxan – The veggies were pretty tender before I added the beans and the stock. It’s probably not a real big deal either way, though, since they will soften up. I cooked the veggies until the sausage was browned a bit for flavor… I was more concerned about that than the veggies.

4. jenn
    April 21, 2010 | 6:16 pm

But I love my canned beans. hahaha… I could go for fresh ones any day, if only I weren’t so lazy. Deliciously delish soup. definitely perfect for today. It’s pretty dreary here in LA.

5. Regan Jones RD
    April 21, 2010 | 7:07 pm

I have been searching high and low for a good black bean soup using dry beans! So many use canned. Thanks. Can’t wait to try.

6. Juliana
    April 21, 2010 | 7:43 pm

Oh! This bean soup looks so yummie, full of flavor…love the sausage and the spices in it :-)

7. Christine @ Fresh Local and Best
    April 21, 2010 | 9:19 pm

I started making my own beans a few years ago when I realized how easy it is. Plus you can sprout them for extra nutrition, just soak for a few days, and rinse and change the water daily. Sprouted beans also cook faster.

8. Teanna
    April 22, 2010 | 6:09 am

I use canned beans way too much! I always want to use dried and I have so many, but I always forget to soak them! But dried beans have such a better texture when they are cooked!

PS I am going to Boston this weekend and am going to that restaurant you recommended (I forgot the name)! I can’t wait! I hope they have that butternut squash ravioli!

April 22, 2010 | 1:21 pm

Jen, it’s one of my resolutions to start using more dried beans and legumes and this looks like a perfect recipe to add to my growing collection. I am sure once I start, I will be hooked!

10. Maria
    April 22, 2010 | 1:40 pm

I usually use canned beans, but thanks for the reminder. It is not hard to use dried beans. The soup looks awesome!

April 22, 2010 | 3:06 pm

I’ve been thinking about cooking dry beans instead of using canned ones. This looks wonderful!

12. Sara
    April 22, 2010 | 3:27 pm

Jen, you read my mind about canned beans. Just recently I have stopped buying canned beans and am using more of dried beans. I love your recipe for the black bean soup!

13. Kelly @ EvilShenanigans
    April 22, 2010 | 3:44 pm

Oh, that looks SO good to me … with some cornbread and some sour cream … Now I am hungry!

14. kelsey@snackingsquirrel.com
    April 22, 2010 | 4:59 pm

LOVE YOUR BLOG

April 23, 2010 | 11:34 am

This soup looks amazing! I’m usually lazy and used canned beans buy my dad would kill me if he knew that…haha. There is still a chill in the air here in NY and this soup would be perfect on a day like today :)

16. Lynne at Cook&BeMerry
    April 23, 2010 | 7:39 pm

I saw your beautiful photo on TasteSpotting. Great blog!

17. Kel
    April 24, 2010 | 1:02 pm

A great source for delicious beans is ranchogordo.com.

Nope, I don’t work for them, I just love them!

I will be using my black beans for your beautiful recipe!

18. Adriana
    April 28, 2010 | 11:48 am

I love your and support your mission to never use caned anything, I have 2 children and i try to avoid using canned foods because of the chemicals needed for perspiration,You can read about it your self here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Food_preservation.

I found more soup recipes here too

19. msrhellie
    October 6, 2010 | 12:31 pm

OMG – After I made these, I could have brushed my hair…no cigarette. These are fantastic, being the cook that I am, I will tweak them the next time I make them, will use red beans and smoked turkey.

20. msrhellie
    October 10, 2010 | 2:32 pm

This soup is OH MY GOD good. I made the original recipe first, then made it again using red beans, it came out great both times, so for the woman whose family is not big on black beans, try pinto or red beans. YOU JUST CAN’T GO WRONG.

21. [...] Bean Soup.  I follow many, many food blogs, so I had quite the library to search.  I landed on this beauty from from My Kitchen Addiction.  After reviewing my recipe options, the ingredients in this recipe [...]

22. Katelyn
    November 9, 2012 | 11:41 am

I found all your ingredients except for the Red Cherry Peppers, can I use something else in place of them?

November 11, 2012 | 2:52 pm

Hi, Katelyn – You could use any hot pepper that you have on hand or like… Jalapeños or another mild pepper would work very well.

23. […] versions, I know that my husband does prefer at least some meat in a dinner soup, so this recipe by My Kitchen Addiction was a great find for us. The smoked sausage adds a nice flavor layer to the soup without taking […]