Roasted Winter Vegetables with Goat Cheese

One of the dishes I was served by Chef April Bloomfield at the Spotted Pig on my trip to NYC was a wonderful root vegetable soup. The soup she prepared was simple, but very flavorful, allowing the flavor of vegetables to stand out. Ever since, I have been in the mood to experiment with root vegetables.

One of my favorite ways to prepare vegetables is to roast them with a little bit of Balsamic vinegar.  I find that roasting is especially good for root vegetables since it brings out the natural sweetness.  So, I stocked up on lots of root veggies last week, as well as some Brussels sprouts (to add a bit of green to the mix), to make a big pan of roasted veggies on the weekend.  To keep the dish from being too sweet, I added some goat cheese crumbles to balance things out a bit. Both my hubby and I enjoyed the veggies, which were perfect served with some simple seared chicken breast.

Roasted Winter Vegetables with Goat Cheese

• 1 large yam, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • Handful of Brussels sprouts, halved (about 1 1/2 cups)
  • 2 parsnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 3 turnips, peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes
  • 2 carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
  • 2 – 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Balsamic vinegar
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 1/3 cup goat cheese crumbles

Preheat the oven to 400°F.

Combine the vegetables in a mixing bowl, and drizzle with olive oil and Balsamic vinegar.  Season with Kosher salt and black pepper.  Toss to combine and evenly coat all of the vegetables.

Transfer the vegetables to a large baking dish and roast for 30 – 45 minutes, stirring once or twice, until the vegetables are fork tender and slightly crisp on the outside.  Sprinkle with goat cheese and serve.

Don’t miss the #SOSFood Chat!

I will be moderating this month’s #SOSFood Twitter chat tonight from 9-11pm EST.  We will be discussing the Food Blogger Bake Sale – answering your questions, raising awareness/support, and connecting you to other bloggers in your state…  I hope you will join us!

13 Responses to Roasted Winter Vegetables with Goat Cheese
  1. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
    February 23, 2010 | 8:03 am

I don’t really like veggies, but I cant eat them roasted. Especially with goat cheese. I love how it sort of melts but stays firm. It is so delish!

2. The Teacher Cooks
    February 23, 2010 | 9:51 am

I love a good root roast! Yours looks so appetizing and healthy, too!

3. Divina
    February 23, 2010 | 10:03 am

Jen, these are really yummy and appetizing. Goat cheese would be a favorite addition.

4. Maria
    February 23, 2010 | 10:39 am

All of my favorite veggies! I will be at the chat tonight. I can’t wait:)

5. Baking is my Zen
    February 23, 2010 | 11:33 am

Roasted veggies…the best!
    I will be on twitter tonight…look forward to being a part of the National Food Bloggers Bake Sale!
    Carmen

6. The Cookie Girl
    February 23, 2010 | 2:19 pm

These look so good. I love roasted vegetables. I like to add colorful peppers and onions to mine and toss them is an italian dressing before roasting. I crumble the goat cheese on after they are done for a really great flavor combo.

7. jenn
    February 23, 2010 | 4:39 pm

I love roasted veggies. I’m not much a fan of goat cheese. Maybe it’s because I haven’t had it enough. That looks really good right now!!

February 23, 2010 | 9:41 pm

LOVE LOVE LOVE roasted veggies. Now the goat cheese, I’m not so sure about. Sometimes I love it and other times I think I got a batch of bad goat…lol

February 24, 2010 | 4:21 pm

I made your roasted brussel sprouts with balsamic this past weekend and sbolutely love them. My hubby sends this thanks for the idea.

February 25, 2010 | 11:41 am

What a great winter dish and I love the addition of goat cheese.

11. Fuji Mama
    February 26, 2010 | 5:35 pm

I LOVE roasted root vegetables, and goat cheese is my absolute all-time favorite cheese (I put it on EVERYTHING)…GENIUS JEN.

March 2, 2010 | 11:25 pm

I can’t get enough of roasted veggies – they’re so yummy! I’ve never tried roasting them with cheese though so thanks for the great idea!

13. Nancy Foster
    November 28, 2010 | 5:16 pm

I roasted brussel sprouts with aged balsamic vinegar, olive oil in the oven and while that was roasting I took 8 slices of bacon, sliced up onion and cooked it slowly in the frying pan until crispy.
    I added this mixture to the brussel sprouts during the last 10 minutes of cooking.
    Let it sit for couple of hours and soak up the flavors.
    Microwave just before serving.
    My family loves this for the holidays.
    Delicious!