Apple Filled Pancakes

You are probably looking at this post thinking, “I though she’s participating in the Ten in 10 challenge…” And yes, I am.

Or maybe, “Those pancakes can’t possibly be healthy.” Well, they aren’t nearly as bad as you think!  They aren’t the yogurt that I typically eat for breakfast, but these apple filled pancakes are a great breakfast treat and they won’t ruin your efforts at healthy eating.

For Christmas, my husband got me the Filled Pancake Pan from Williams-Sonoma. I’ve been enjoying making various kinds of ebelskivers (filled pancakes), so I thought I’d share one of my favorites with you. These filled pancakes are made with whole wheat flour (like I said, they’re really not that bad) and a quick and easy apple filling (think fiber). Plus, if you skip the mixer and beat the egg whites by hand, that burns a few extra calories!

This recipe was loosely adapted from the recipe that came with the pan (generally, the Williams-Sonoma recipes turn out pretty well…. just saying).  I did make a few changes, though. I halved the recipe since I was cooking for two (and ended up with around 3-4 servings) and I adjusted the ingredients a bit (using whole wheat flour and a few other small changes).

Apple Filled Pancakes

• 2 cups apple, peeled and diced
  • 2 tablespoons butter, plus additional for the pan
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar, divided
  • 1 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1 cup white whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • Pinch salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tablespoons canola oil
  • 1 cup lowfat milk
  • Powdered sugar (optional)

Combine the diced apple, 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, and cinnamon in a small saute pan over medium-low heat.  Stir occasionally to thoroughly mix the ingredients.  Cook the apples until they are tender (soft, but not mushy), and the sauce starts to thicken.

Meanwhile, in a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, remaining tablespoon of brown sugar, and a pinch of salt.  Whisk together, breaking up any lumps in the brown sugar.

Separate the two eggs, and beat the egg whites to stiff peaks.  (Remember what I said about doing this by hand and burning lots of calories?)  In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg yolks, milk, and oil. Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and whisk to just combine.  The batter will be a bit lumpy. Gently fold in the egg whites to create a light, fluffy batter.

Preheat the filled pancake pan over medium heat, with a small bit of butter in each well of the pan.  Once the butter has melted, pour one tablespoon of batter into each well of the pan.

Add a small amount of the filling (about a tablespoon), and then top with some additional batter (again, about a tablespoon, but you will have to adjust accordingly).

Cook for a few minutes, until the pancakes start to puff up just a bit and pull from the sides.  Use two wooden skewers to carefully flip the pancakes and cook on the other side for a minute or two.

Serve immediately, topping with the leftover filling.  Sprinkle with powdered sugar, if desired.

24 Responses to Apple Filled Pancakes
  1. Maria
    January 10, 2010 | 10:23 pm

They are too cute. I need that pan now:)

2. MrsLavendula
    January 10, 2010 | 11:13 pm

those look lovely! i think im beginning to get tempted to find me this contraption to cook in =) what exactly do you call that pan?

3. jenn
    January 11, 2010 | 2:29 am

I was serious about to get me one of these last year. I’ve had it bookmarked in the catalog for the longest time. Everytime I walk by the store I’m tempted to walk in to just hold it. lol.

Those pancakes looks really really good. I think I’ just end up getting one.

January 11, 2010 | 6:11 am

You got your ebelskiver pan for Christmas! Don’t you just love it? Your apple filled pancakes look delicious Jen.

5. Jessica @ How Sweet It Is
    January 11, 2010 | 6:55 am

Oh wow – these look SO good!!!

6. ThatsSoYummy
    January 11, 2010 | 7:56 am

Jen,
    I LOVE the little pan… Oh MY and those pancakes look absolutely delicious!!!! ;-)

-Natasha

7. Divina
    January 11, 2010 | 7:58 am

Oh yum, look at that. There’s a nice little surprise inside. They look gorgeous.

8. Amanda
    January 11, 2010 | 10:02 am

Gorgeous!! I was JUST reading an old Williams and Sonama and saw their Christmas ones…and then you have gone and made them even prettier then the ones in the magazine!!

Great job!
    Blessings-
    Amanda

9. The Teacher Cooks
    January 11, 2010 | 10:50 am

These look fabulous! Everytime I go into Williams and Sonoma I almost by that pan. Maybe next time.

January 11, 2010 | 11:43 am

I saw this pan at WS and soooooo wanted. And after seeing your little beauties, I think I’m gettin it :)

11. RhodeyGirl
    January 11, 2010 | 12:24 pm

congrats on the Foodbuzz news! Can’t wait to meet you in February!

12. Erika - In Erika's Kitchen
    January 11, 2010 | 3:54 pm

Ooooohhhhhh these look just fantastic – I’ve just gotten an aebleskiver pan too and have been experimenting with it over the past month. My favorites so far have been savory cheese aebleskivers with smoked paprika, and the chocolate version I made this weekend. Don’t laugh, but my husband likes them FROZEN. As in, he eats them FROZEN.

Looking forward to meeting you in NY for the Foodbuzz Electrolux event next month!

13. Amy B
    January 11, 2010 | 4:02 pm

I got this pan last year and used it for the first time this past Chanukah to make mock mini donut holes for my sous chef’s preschool. They were such a hit, I couldn’t believe it…and no frying involved which made parents very happy, lol.

I am looking for more uses!

Congrats on the Electrolux news, btw. I can’t wait to hear all about it!

14. Stephanie
    January 11, 2010 | 4:28 pm

These look AWESOME! I saw this pan at WS over the holidays and had no idea how to use it or what the results would like like. Now I’m so tempted to go out and buy one!

15. Teanna
    January 11, 2010 | 6:06 pm

I want one of those pans and ten of those pancakes, please!

16. Elizabeth F.
    January 11, 2010 | 8:22 pm

Semi-Healthy Pancakes? Sign me up! They look amazing!

17. bridget {bake at 350}
    January 11, 2010 | 9:16 pm

I was *so* hoping for one of those pans for Christmas! These look terrific!

Counting the days until NYC!!!

18. Cristie
    January 11, 2010 | 10:15 pm

Beautiful, beautiful. I make these every year and can so appreciate how perfect they look. EXCELLANT.

19. Reeni
    January 12, 2010 | 11:40 am

What a lovely breakfast treat! These look divine!

20. Isela
    January 12, 2010 | 3:58 pm

Those look so yummy! I need a contraption like that one now

21. Katie @ Cozydelicious
    January 12, 2010 | 8:44 pm

Oh, wow, do these look fantastic! And great photos. The last thing I need in my already-crowded kitchen is another gadget, but I might have to splurge on one of these filled pancake pans. These look amazing! I wonder if there is a good way to make filled pancakes without the fancy pan?

22. bergamot
    January 12, 2010 | 8:59 pm

These look lovely… made me want the pan too.

23. Katie
    September 21, 2011 | 4:15 pm

These look so scrumptious, oh my. I think I know what’s for dinner tonight… more breakfast!