Spaghetti Squash-sagna

We are still eating the spaghetti squash from our garden this past summer.  I stashed a few of them in a large brown bag in my garage one day (trying to make space on my countertops) and totally forgot about them until this past weekend.  Amazingly, they are all still good, even after a few months.

So, when I was looking for a veggie-rich dish to make for dinner tonight, I decided to make a lasagna-like casserole using the spaghetti squash strands (thus the name squash-sagna).  I was in one of those “clean out the fridge and freezer” moods, so I used some frozen pasta sauce that I made over the summer.  I had added mushrooms and bell peppers to make a thick, nutritious sauce.  It seemed like a lot of work at the time, but I was glad to have it on hand!  If you don’t have sauce in your freezer, any chunky prepared tomato sauce will do.

This is one of those recipes where the amounts of each ingredient are fairly flexible.  I had a fairly large spaghetti squash and adjusted the ingredients to fill a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.  You could easily use a smaller dish or add more layers based on what you have on hand.

Spaghetti Squash-sagna

• 1 large spaghetti squash
  • 1/2 pound sweet Italian sausage, casings removed
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 3 cups fresh spinach, chopped
  • 4 cups chunky tomato sauce
  • 6 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
  • 1 ounce parmigiano-reggiano cheese, freshly grated

Preheat the oven to 375°.  Spray a 9 by 13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.

Cut the ends off the spaghetti squash and cut in half lengthwise. Scoop out seeds and lay cut side down on a microwaveable plate or dish.  Cover with plastic wrap and microwave for 8-10 minutes, until slightly soft but not mushy.

Meanwhile, brown the sausage in a skillet over medium heat.  Once the sausage is cooked through, add the onions and garlic.  Saute until the onions are soft and translucent.  Add the spinach and saute for just a minute or two, until the spinach has wilted into the sausage mixture.  Remove from the heat.

Use a fork to scoop out the spaghetti-like strands from the squash.  Line the bottom of the prepared baking dish with a layer of squash, using about half of the squash.  Top with half of the tomato sauce.

Spread the sausage mixture in a layer over the tomato sauce.  Sprinkle with half of the mozzarella and parmigiano-reggiano cheeses.

Continue to add layers, using the rest of the spaghetti squash, tomato sauce, and finally cheeses.

Bake uncovered for 30 minutes and then broil for 2-3 minutes, until the top is golden and the cheese is bubbly.  Allow to rest for about 10-15 minutes before serving.

25 Responses to Spaghetti Squash-sagna
    December 2, 2009 | 4:48 pm

That right there is one of my favorite dishes Jen…. but I REALLY love the name spaghetti squash-sagna…LOL! Too cute.

2. rebecca subbiah
    December 2, 2009 | 9:07 pm

this looks wonderful

3. Claire
    December 2, 2009 | 11:46 pm

that looks like it would be perfect on a cold day!

4. Karine
    December 3, 2009 | 7:26 am

That is a great way to use spaghetti squash! Thanks for sharing :)

5. Kelly @ EvilShenanigans
    December 3, 2009 | 12:14 pm

That is a very creative way to use up spaghetti squash! I also love that I can have it and avoid some of those carbs with dinner so I can have more cookies!! Lovely!

December 3, 2009 | 3:52 pm

Such a creative lasagna….delicious! I love that squash can sit around for along time. It’s great that you found it before it went bad.

7. Carrie
    December 3, 2009 | 4:07 pm

Awesome! I’m putting this on my menu for next week.

8. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
    December 3, 2009 | 5:56 pm

A terrific idea to make a lasagna with spaghetti squash, super delicious!

December 3, 2009 | 7:13 pm

What a great recipe! Am saving this one for sure. It’s also good to know that the squash last a long time…

10. Naomi
    December 3, 2009 | 7:36 pm

This looks delicious! I’ve never cooked with spaghetti squash but would love to give it a try.

11. Kendra
    December 4, 2009 | 11:39 am

I am making this tonight!

12. Kelsey
    December 4, 2009 | 12:34 pm

This looks soooo good! What a great idea. I am always trying to find new ways to use spaghetti squash.

13. Spaghetti Squash Lasagna « Our Life in Food
    December 14, 2009 | 9:59 am

[...] know right away that I want to try it soon. This was one of those recipes. When I ran across it on My Kitchen Addiction, I immediately put it on my menu. Prior to this fall and winter season, I hadn’t eaten much [...]

14. Fancy, Healthy Camping! | Q's Eats
    January 11, 2011 | 11:17 pm

[...]  This Spaghetti Squash Bake is loosely based on a favorite baked ziti recipe and this “Squash-sagna” [...]

15. [...] bread or maybe a cheese stromboli made with local havarti cheese and sage out of my garden Monday: spaghetti squash lasagna with fresh sausage from Wards, hidden zucchini and eggplant Tuesday: sorrel pesto with walnuts and [...]

16. Joyce
    August 12, 2011 | 11:53 am

I made this last night and it was absolutely delicious. I never even heard of spaghetti squash. I will definitely make this again.

17. Rachel
    August 26, 2011 | 11:55 am

I have been trying to look for a dish as I have a ton of spaghetti squash in my garden it fit the bill perfectly! Seriously this is the first time I have made a recipe that came out looking exactly like the picture my husband was amazed and loved it as well. Thanks so much!

18. Spagetti kabak - Page 2 - agaclar.net
    September 19, 2012 | 7:07 am

[...] [...]

19. Amy G
    January 9, 2013 | 5:06 pm

Just finished my first portion of this casserole. My first time having spaghetti squash.SO GOOD! I just hope my husband likes too. We are 6 weeks wheat free so needed an alternative to lasagna. Thanks!

20. tracy
    January 12, 2013 | 4:19 pm

Eating this now and it is soooo yummy! Spaghetti squash really has a nice texture in a casserole, I don’t miss the pasta at all. I really like the combination of italian sausage with spinach – it complements the squash really well. Thank you!

21. Menu Planning 1/28-3/2/13 | See Cupcake Run
    January 27, 2013 | 8:19 pm

[...] THURSDAY serves 6 Spaghetti Squash Bake [...]

22. Heather Stringer
    February 6, 2013 | 9:48 pm

We made this last night and absolutely LOVED it! Thank you for sharing such a delicious recipe! This one is definitely going in our recipe binder and I plan to make it again soon!

23. korey
    May 5, 2013 | 7:17 pm

This is so delicious…wondering if you know the nutritional breakdown?

24. Julie
    May 21, 2013 | 4:04 pm

I used ground turkey instead of the sausage and it was great!