Lazy Chicken and Potatoes

I used to be a meal planner… I would sit down over the weekend and plan out meals for the coming week, complete with shopping list and “do ahead” notes so that I would remember to prepare some meals ahead of time on busy days.

Lately, I’m lucky if I know what I’m making for dinner before 5:00pm.  I usually end up throwing something together at the last minute, hoping that it will turn out to be edible, and if I’m lucky, worthy of being posed on my blog.

This week has been busier than most.  I’m still amazed that I had the foresight to throw this dinner in the slow cooker on Tuesday morning. Come Tuesday evening, though, my hubby and I were both glad that I had taken a few minutes in the morning to whip up a quick dinner.  Let me tell you – it was not the first time that my slow cooker saved me from a sub-par fast food dinner because I was too busy to cook.

I had some potatoes and peppers from our CSA, so I decided to chop them up and cook them with some split chicken breast from the freezer.  The best part?  I didn’t even have to remember to thaw out the chicken!

Lazy Chicken and Potatoes

• 1 1/2 pounds baby potatoes (red and brown), quartered
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 1 poblano pepper, finely diced
  • 3 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 2 pieces split chicken breast

Line the bottom of the slow cooker with the potatoes, onion, bell pepper, poblano pepper, and garlic. Drizzle with the olive oil and sprinkle with cumin and chili powder.  Season with salt and pepper.  Arrange the chicken breast on top of the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with a little bit of chili powder.

Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on low for 6-8 hours, until the internal temperature of the chicken has reached 165°F.  (If the chicken is not frozen, the cooking time will be shorter.)  Cut the chicken off of the bones and serve with the potatoes.  My hubby added some BBQ sauce to his chicken and potatoes, and I must admit, it was a tasty combo!

25 Responses to Lazy Chicken and Potatoes
    October 8, 2009 | 8:08 pm

It’s nice to know that I’m not the only one who finds the crockpot a worthy kitchen tool. I use mine quite often for just the same reasons you explained. Looks tasty!

2. Velva
    October 8, 2009 | 9:44 pm

Hail to the slowcooker! That portable pot has saved me numerous times. Your Lazy chicken dish looks really good for a weeknight meal. Thanks for sharing.

October 8, 2009 | 10:32 pm

Delicious! I love my crockpot…it’s the best kitchen helper:)

4. ali @ gimme some oven
    October 8, 2009 | 11:22 pm

Yum! Love the idea of adding the peppers in there as well. This looks delicious!! :)

5. Erica
    October 9, 2009 | 9:21 am

I love this kind of recipes…I love all the flavors you use in your dish, cumin is one of my favorite ingredients. Fantastic!

6. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
    October 9, 2009 | 10:10 am

This is a recipe for me on the days when I forget to defrost anything. Now I just need to get a crock pot!

7. jenn
    October 9, 2009 | 3:29 pm

Good ol’ crockpot. Love it. I’ve never been much of a meal planner. I usually just like to wing it.

October 9, 2009 | 7:00 pm

Yum! And in the slow cooker? Even better!

9. Elizabeth F.
    October 10, 2009 | 5:36 pm

Looks like I need get the crock pot down from the top of the cabinets!

10. Reeni
    October 10, 2009 | 9:05 pm

I be this was just delicious in the slow-cooker. Tender and spicy. I bet it was a comfort to come home and find this waiting!

11. lauren wunderlich
    January 28, 2013 | 11:05 am

Just put it together with thawed chicken, hoping it will be done before he gets home (stuck working from home today, car troubles). Added some carrots and used a jalapeno (no car == no grocery store lol). Also, I used my infused olive oil I made a couple of months ago, hoping to taste the herbs and mix too. Very excited about this.. first time using my slow cooker for something other than chili. :)

Thanks!

12. sandy
    July 19, 2013 | 10:37 am

I like your term “dump” recipe. I usually call it “crap in a crock”. I will be trying this one, it looks so good.

13. Judy
    July 20, 2013 | 3:33 pm

wow! finally found a recipe that does not include milk, eggs, yeast,& wheat (allergic to all of them) and boy does it sound good! anyone with a recipe that excludes these items, I would sure love to try them!

14. DENNIS PERRY
    August 3, 2013 | 9:44 pm

Looks very good but two questions. How many servings from this or are the two split breasts the answer and do you have any nutritional information? I’m diabetic and that is very important.

D.Perry

15. cindy
    August 3, 2013 | 9:54 pm

I love my slow cooker as well. And slow cooker liners are the best thing ever!

16. carol
    August 9, 2013 | 10:18 am

I’m making this today, but I’m wondering…do you not put any liquid in with it??? I’m confused.

• Tania
      August 14, 2013 | 2:59 pm

The veggies will release plenty of their liquid in the cooking process. Until that happens, the oil in the recipe helps to ensure there is little to no sticking.

17. Cathy Milne
    August 19, 2013 | 2:07 am

Are you implying there are other ways to cook? I have three slow cookers and use them regularly. It is the only way my family gets a hot meal.

Seriously, I love my slow cookers and the recipes on this site are fantastic. Thank you for sharing!!

Cathy

18. Betty Mwanza Njunju
    August 19, 2013 | 3:52 am

Tried and was delicious

19. Lori Stein
    September 3, 2013 | 7:41 am

Absolutely loved this recipe. It was easy and tasted wonderful. Have even tried it with a pork roast and it was almost as good.

20. Doris
    October 24, 2013 | 4:31 pm

I’m going to make this one this weekend will let you know how it tasted.

21. Toni
    February 6, 2014 | 11:00 pm

I love crock pots. I have 4, plus a 3 crock one plus a slow cooker that is a metal pot on a hot plate and I also have 2 large and one small roaster ovens. Might have gone overboard a bit but love them all.

22. shirley newport
    February 7, 2014 | 10:50 am

going to try this today, will let you how I do, first time using a cock pot.

23. cj
    February 7, 2014 | 6:45 pm

Love using crockpots as well …. I do this same recipe and have used Italian Sausage, smoked kilbasy, bratwurst for a change up … Toni… think I have you beat… I have at least 7 crockpots, 4 nesco cookers … and like you.. .use them all..