Farfalle with Sausage and Pumpkin

I wait all year for the fall. I know it sounds a bit crazy, but it’s my favorite time of the year. I love the flavors, the weather, and the fact that the holidays are right around the corner!

Of all of the fall foods, I think pumpkin is my favorite.  Unfortunately, my husband doesn’t agree.  With the exception of pumpkin roll, he could do without pumpkin entirely.  This pasta was no exception to the rule – I absolutely loved it, but my husband wasn’t a huge fan (although he did eat it).  I had some maple sausage and pumpkin puree in the refrigerator, so pasta was the logical next step (at least for me).  Instead of adding cream or milk, I paired the pumpkin with some sweet white wine (both in the dish and to drink while I was cooking).  The resulting pasta was exactly what I had hoped for – light and flavorful with a hint of spice.

Farfalle with Sausage and Pumpkin

• 10 ounces farfalle (of course, I used Barilla Plus)
  • 1 pound maple pork sausage (casings removed)
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon rubbed sage
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • Kosher salt
  • 1 cup sweet white wine
  • 1 cup pumpkin puree
  • Freshly grated parmigiano reggiano

Prepare the farfalle according to the package directions.  Drain and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown the sausage over medium heat.  Add the diced onion, rubbed sage, and cinnamon. Season with a small amount of salt.  Continue to cook for 3-4 minutes until the onions are soft.

Deglaze the pan with the white wine, scraping any bits off of the bottom of the pan.  Stir in the pumpkin puree forming a sauce with the white wine.  Simmer for a few minutes.

Add the cooked farfalle to the skillet, tossing to evenly coat the pasta with the sausage and pumpkin sauce.  Serve immediately topped with freshly grated parmigiano reggiano cheese.

25 Responses to Farfalle with Sausage and Pumpkin
  1. eatlivetravelwrite
    September 30, 2009 | 2:31 pm

What a GREAT autumn dish!

September 30, 2009 | 3:02 pm

Sounds like the perfect fall pasta dish if you ask me.

3. jenn
    September 30, 2009 | 4:18 pm

I’m a fall person, too. It’s the time I like to call sweater weather. hehe..,

Delicious pasta! I love the substitution of the milk for white wine. I may just have to try something like that sometime.

4. Lori @ RecipeGirl
    September 30, 2009 | 7:18 pm

Too funny… I made this a couple of nights ago- somewhat similar recipe & similar photos too!! We think alike ;)

5. Phyl
    September 30, 2009 | 7:47 pm

That looks delicious! I’m with you: I could eat about anything made with pumpkin. Time to dig out my Fall recipes.

6. Jessie
    September 30, 2009 | 9:16 pm

great fall dish! I love that you took a risk and used pumpkin in this dish. I never had it in pasta before but this is something I would truly enjoy

September 30, 2009 | 9:47 pm

This recipe does scream FALL! I love it and will certainly be giving it a try.

8. TheWoman
    October 1, 2009 | 10:18 am

You know what, it’s spring on my side of the world, but I still can’t wait to get my hands on a bowl of pasta like that!

9. lo
    October 1, 2009 | 10:31 am

You’re not crazy. I love the autumn… simply nothing like it. And autumnal cooking is so very satisfying.

I love a good pumpkin based pasta sauce. We do a similar dish with hot Italian sausage, and it’s wonderful.

10. Cookie
    October 1, 2009 | 1:31 pm

I love pumpkin too and they’re such great fall food. I’ve never thought of them as a savory dish but this pasta sounds wonderful! I’m not sure if my honey’s a fan of pumpkin but I’ll give it a try!

11. Jessica
    October 1, 2009 | 1:49 pm

This looks really delicious! My sister is going pumpkin picking wtih her friends this weekend, and have been looking for some good pumpkin recipes! I’m saving this one!

12. sophia
    October 1, 2009 | 2:07 pm

Holy cow! If your husband doesn’t like this…I’ll happily accept the leftovers! Oh my God! this is EXACTLY the reason why I like Fall! :D

13. Lauren Ashley
    October 1, 2009 | 2:22 pm

That looks incredibly delicious!
    I will be making that very soon!

14. Reeni
    October 1, 2009 | 7:58 pm

This looks excellent!! I absolutely love pumpkin! I bet this was really delicious. So comforting.

15. Paula - bell'alimento
    October 2, 2009 | 10:20 am

Jen, that looks ah-mazing. Love the addition of Pumpkin. & I love Farfalle pasta. Such cute little butterfly shapes! Brava!

16. Bryan V.
    October 2, 2009 | 11:15 am

I will definitely gonna try this! Pumpkin addition rocks!

17. alice
    October 2, 2009 | 6:12 pm

Jen, this looks awesome.. I love farfalle pasta and how clever to use pumpkin like this!

18. Erica
    October 3, 2009 | 9:36 am

I love fall too!!!! Great recipe as usual:)

October 3, 2009 | 11:30 am

This looks fantastic! I love the surprise of the added pumpkin!

20. Megan Gordon
    October 3, 2009 | 2:14 pm

Oh heavens.
    I have a confession: I rarely cook anything from others’ blogs. I love reading them…but for some reason, I just don’t take it to the extra step. However, seriously, I may make this for dinner. It looks amazing. Thanks so much for sharing!

21. The Purple Foodie
    October 4, 2009 | 12:54 pm

I love the photo of the fork piercing through the farafelle. And the pasta looks absolutely delicious!

22. Teanna
    October 7, 2009 | 8:27 am

YES YES YES! Fall is my favorite season with my favorite ingredients, and my favorite fall dishes are fall pasta dishes! Pumpkin, butternut squash, spices and pasta? Total winners!

23. [...] found this recipe for pasta with pumpkin, and I decided (mostly from the picture – I love your pics, Jen) that [...]

24. [...] about making a sort of pasta sauce with it? I originally got the idea from this recipe. I modified it slightly, using ingredients that I had available. Most notably, I used bacon in lieu [...]

25. Cupcake Monster « Somewhere in Between
    December 6, 2009 | 3:14 pm

[...] I also made maple sausage pumpkin pasta last night. Fail. It resembles something like a homemade Hamburger Helper. I had the brilliant idea [...]