Mexican Cucumber Salad

I don’t know about you, but when it’s hot and humid in the summer, the last thing I want to do is cook on the stove or use the oven. With the amount of delicious fresh produce I have been getting from our CSA and our garden, I have been able to make a lot of cool and refreshing salads, though. The catch is, I’m not a big fan of lettuce, so I am always trying to find new and interesting lettuce-less salads.

Last week, I came across this Black Bean and Cucumber Salad from Savor the Thyme.  When I saw the salad, I was immediately reminded of the Grilled Corn and Black Bean Salad that I frequently make. It seems that we have gotten cucumbers in our CSA share almost every week, and I have been struggling to use them up.  So, I decided to combine the two ideas into a Mexican Cucumber Salad with corn, black beans, and tomatoes.  It also gave me a good excuse to use some of the hot peppers growing in my garden!

Mexican Cucumber Salad

• 1 large cucumber, diced
  • 3 small ears of corn, cut off the cob (grilled, if you like – it was raining so I just steamed the corn)
  • 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
  • 1/2 red onion, diced
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
  • 1 red cherry pepper, seeded and minced
  • 14.5 ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 2 limes
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 2-3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped

In a large bowl, combine the cucumber, corn, tomatoes, onion, jalapeño, red cherry pepper, and black beans.

Zest the two limes, and place the zest in a small bowl.  Squeeze the juice from both of the limes into the bowl.  Add the ground cumin, olive oil, salt, and pepper. Whisk until smooth to create a dressing.

Pour the dressing over the cucumber, black bean, and corn mixture.  Add the chopped cilantro, and toss to combine.  Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.

25 Responses to Mexican Cucumber Salad
  1. Chris
    August 18, 2009 | 9:13 pm

Great recipe! A bit heavy on the limes, though. Would do a half and half with rice vinegar. Definitely fresh cilantro for great flavor.

August 19, 2009 | 8:14 am

Chris – Thanks for the suggestion. I must admit that I am a fan of limes and do tend to go heavy on the lime, at times. I agree that half and half with rice vinegar would be delicious!

2. maria
    August 18, 2009 | 9:26 pm

I love the addition of cucumber! Great for summer!

3. Jennifer (Savor)
    August 18, 2009 | 9:37 pm

What an excellent salad! Your creativity is great as well as your photographs…share secrets?

August 19, 2009 | 8:13 am

Jennifer – Thanks again for the inspiration on this one! As far as creativity and photographs… it’s all just trial and error (and natural, diffused light… for the photographs).

4. jenn
    August 18, 2009 | 10:26 pm

This is definitely a great lettuce-less recipe. Though, I do like lettuce. ;-) Another salad to add to my list.

5. Vicki
    August 18, 2009 | 10:52 pm

That looks delicious. I was making plans to hit the farmers’ market tomorrow afternoon, and corn and cilantro are now on the list. Nice photos, too.

August 18, 2009 | 10:52 pm

What a fantastic summery tex mex style salad….yum!

7. courtney
    August 19, 2009 | 2:26 am

This looks delicious, I will be giving this one a go!

8. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
    August 19, 2009 | 8:46 am

A delightful and refreshing salad! Definitely good in this hot weather!

9. Chou
    August 19, 2009 | 9:43 am

Chris–nah, 2 limes seems perfect. :)

Jen, this looks like a wonderful summer treat. Thanks for sharing.

10. Reeni
    August 19, 2009 | 10:39 am

How delicious this looks. So colorful and hearty! I love limes – I would make it as is!

11. Kelsey/The Naptime Chef
    August 19, 2009 | 2:12 pm

I love how colorful this salad is, it also looks so delicious. I will definitely be making this!

12. Cooking Like Mom
    August 19, 2009 | 2:42 pm

Beautiful site and wonderful cucumber salad. My garden is just about bursting with cucumbers right now, so finding this website was a Godsend! Thank you! Not only is this Mexican Cucumber Salad going to be just the thing I need to use up my ripe cucumbers, but I’ve been drooling over the pictures, too! All your pictures are really fantastic eye-candy.

13. Cucinista
    August 19, 2009 | 3:50 pm

Love the ingredients and the photos are great. I have been making a lot of these easy summer salads.

14. Erica
    August 19, 2009 | 5:09 pm

I love all the flavors! Looks fantastic.

15. Divin
    August 20, 2009 | 12:55 am

That’s a really refreshing salad.

16. leslie
    August 20, 2009 | 8:59 pm

Mmmmm.mighty tasty. Reminds me of my Texas Caviar

17. [...] Mexican Cucumber Salad from My Kitchen [...]

18. grace
    August 23, 2009 | 2:59 am

gorgeous salad! i think the heavy dose of lime juice and the very presence of cilantro are the best things about it. oh, and the beans. black beans rule.

19. Michele
    September 5, 2009 | 9:41 am

This looks great! I love fresh cilantro and lime — what a nice addition with the cucumber.

20. dannaj
    September 10, 2009 | 6:59 pm

Made your recipe for a dinner party this past weekend and it was a hit. We had grilled chicken and beef tacos. It was used as a side salad, but a few folks put it straight on their tacos as a garnish. Y-U-M-M-Y! Love this recipe. Thanks!

21. Mexican Cucumber Salad – Sprinkle Joy.
    February 7, 2012 | 11:49 pm

[...] a mexican theme, I needed a light, healthy side.  I found a recipe for Mexican Cucumber Salad from My Kitchen Addiction. I love this salad because it’s colorful, refreshing and goes perfect with any mexican dish. [...]

22. Wanda Cox
    July 23, 2012 | 6:40 pm

I love anything with lime & cilantro. I could eat this everyday. These pictures look great and make me want to make this dish right now.
    Thanks for sharing! Wanda

23. Jennifer
    August 7, 2012 | 5:38 pm

I made this and took it to work and everyone just loved it. Made it again for the ones that missed out the first time. What a hit!!