Tomato and Squash Skillet

Last week, my husband was out of town, so I ended up cooking for myself for a few days.  On Wednesday, when I picked up our CSA share, I decided to make myself a quick vegetarian dinner since I had an abundance of veggies from both the CSA and garden that I didn’t want to spoil.  My husband is a good sport about eating vegetarian dinners, but it’s definitely not his favorite, so I find myself cooking vegetarian meals for myself when he is out of town.

From our CSA, we have been getting beautiful tomatoes each week.  I was delighted to have one last week for my squash skillet! Additionally, I decided to use some of the yellow squash and jalapeño from our garden.  In the end, the dish was absolutely delicious and was really filling, even though it was all vegetables. It was a perfect choice for the Penny Pinching Pantry Raid since half of the vegetables were “free” from my garden!  As an added bonus, it only took me a few minutes to make, which was great since I was just cooking for myself.

Vegetarian Tomato and Squash Skillet

(This was approximately one serving for my dinner and would serve two as a side dish)

• 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 jalapeño, seeded and minced
  • 1 large clove garlic, minced
  • 1 small yellow squash, cut in half lengthwise and sliced
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • Kosher salt
  • Freshly ground pepper
  • 1 tomato, diced
  • 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped

Heat the olive oil, jalapeño, and garlic in a skillet over medium heat.  Cook until the garlic is fragrant.

Add the squash to the skillet and season with the cumin, chili powder, salt, and pepper. Continue to stir fry for 4-5 minutes, until the squash is tender and cooked.

Add the tomato and cook for an additional minute, until the tomato is heated through. Serve garnished with the chopped cilantro.

12 Responses to Tomato and Squash Skillet
  1. Paula - bell'alimento
    July 30, 2009 | 3:36 pm

That looks so tasty! I adore squash & am so jealous I don’t have a CSA :) Plus I’ve been looking for recipes to utilize all the tomatoes my Mom brought me from her garden! Thanks for sharing!

2. jenn
    July 30, 2009 | 4:52 pm

Looks good. Very healthy, too. This looks really delicious!!! I think I’ve mentioned this before, i wish there was a CSA here in LA. If there is some one needs to tell me pronto!

3. Kristen
    July 30, 2009 | 5:51 pm

What a great use for squash, thanks for sharing!

July 30, 2009 | 8:49 pm

Mmmmmm squash! I have a question though. Is that tomato purple or is it just me?

5. Amy
    July 30, 2009 | 11:41 pm

Wow! What a great way to use up your veggies. I always had trouble getting through my whole CSA box, but with inspiration like this I might be ready to try it again soon.

6. Natasha - 5 Star Foodie
    July 31, 2009 | 8:16 am

A delicious veggie dish! I also often eat vegetarian when my husband is out of town :)

7. Jen @ My Kitchen Addiction
    July 31, 2009 | 10:10 am

Thanks all for the comments – it was quite delicious! I’m thinking of making some more this weekend.

Nutmeg Nanny – Yes, the tomato is slightly purple. I believe it is an heirloom variety – not entirely sure. I have gotten quite a few from the CSA that were similar in color. They are some of the best tomatoes I have ever had!

8. Reeni
    July 31, 2009 | 10:49 am

This looks like a delicious meal – nicely flavored!

9. Jessie
    July 31, 2009 | 12:31 pm

what a great way to use up your veggies to create a delicious and hearty meal, I love the flavors going on in this dish too

10. Kevin
    July 31, 2009 | 7:07 pm

What a nice way to enjoy summers bounty!

11. Michele
    September 5, 2009 | 9:43 am

I love squash — this looks so quick and easy! Do you think you could substitute a can of green chiles for the jalapeno and canned tomatoes for the fresh? (thinking of how to raid my own pantry….)

12. [...] Tomato-squash skillet – I usually don’t cook heirloom tomatoes because they have such an amazing raw flavor, but if you’re tired of salads and don’t feel like eating them raw this week, try this recipe. I might add a few chickpeas to round out the protein here and make it a vegan main course, or mix in some diced, cooked chicken if you eat meat. [...]